Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Install Lubuntu on USB Drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: HOW TO Install Lubuntu on USB Drive

Hi,

Have anyone tried to install Lubuntu 13.10 (the latest stable release) on an USB Drive?

If you have done that already, was it a successful installation? any problem? did zram-config caused any issue?

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, and it works well. No particular problem because of USB. I have tried USB 2 as well as USB 3.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Yes, and it works well. No particular problem because of USB. I have tried USB 2 as well as USB 3.
    Hi my friend,

That is great to know

Haven't yet used USB 3.0 and I don't think I have that among my USB Drives.

Is there anything on this guide that you recommend to update? change?

Beans
    Hidden!

Well, if you have the time and energy ... I suggest that you update the first post. Do not describe Lubuntu 11.10, but a current version, and have current pictures (screendumps). I would add a reference to the One Button Installer, which works very well for this purpose

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Well, if you have the time and energy ... I suggest that you update the first post. Do not describe Lubuntu 11.10, but a current version, and have current pictures (screendumps).
    While there is some energy, I am afraid there is less time available but I will do my best to update it - that was in mind few weeks ago when I took a look at the first post. I feel a bit rusty, it has been a long time since I have written a HOWTO

Let's see if I can make this any time soon

I would add a reference to the One Button Installer, which works very well for this purpose
    Will keep that on mind

Thank you!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Hi,

Have anyone tried to install Lubuntu 13.10 (the latest stable release) on an USB Drive?

If you have done that already, was it a successful installation? any problem? did zram-config caused any issue?
    Yes, I'm having trouble installing 13.10 on a USB drive.

I followed your preparation instructions, chose my location and got as far as creating a Lubuntu username and password etc.. After clicking the final continue button the install just hangs with the rotating loading cursor, here:

Nothing seems to happen after that, I had to shutdown the computer after an hour of waiting. Any advice?

Thank you.
    Last edited by mildmcgee; December 20th, 2013 at 09:09 PM.

Beans

Were you browsing the internet when you were installing? If yes, then close the browser next time when you are installing, may be using too much ram.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; December 20th, 2013 at 09:26 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Hi,

I haven't tried installing Lubuntu 13.10 in a flash drive, but I have done it on an old hard drive removed from a dead laptop. I see no reason why it wouldn't work. As long as the installer works and detects the device it shouldn't matter where you install it into.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mildmcgee View Post

I followed your preparation instructions, chose my location and got as far as creating a Lubuntu username and password etc.. After clicking the final continue button the install just hangs with the rotating loading cursor, here:

Nothing seems to happen after that, I had to shutdown the computer after an hour of waiting. Any advice?

Thank you.
    Please specify the computer

- Brand name and model
    - CPU
    - RAM (size)
    - Graphics chip/card
    - Wifi chip/card

It makes it much easier to give relevant tips and advice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hello and Welcome to Ubuntu Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mildmcgee View Post
    I am sorry to know that. I will do my very best to help!

Thank you.
    Yes indeed there is an advice:

1- Make sure to check MD5SUM for the ISO you have downloaded before creating a LiveCD or LiveUSB

2- Make sure - if creating a LiveCD - to choose the minimum burning speed, say 8x

3- If you are using the LiveUSB to install Lubuntu, please use the latest version of UNetbootin (there is Windows version and there is Linux version) - it is very handy and great tool/application to create LiveUSB

4- Try to use GParted to create New Partition Table for your USB Drive, then create the needed partitions for the installation OR let the installer handle that - your choice

Please, feel free to ask if you have anything in mind

You can use Google as always but still, do ask please if you feel there is something not clear.

All the best and I do hope you will be able to install Lubuntu

By the way, what is the size of your USB that you are trying to install on?
    What are the hardware specifications of that machine?
    What media are you using to install? LiveCD? LiveUSB?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast