Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minimum Ubuntu partition install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Minimum Ubuntu partition install?

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    You can fit a decent installation of Ubuntu into 4 Gb easily.
    +1

I built a system up from the minimal image a little while ago. 1.2GB, and that's Gnome and 64-bit. 32-bit would probably be at least 10% smaller.

Ubuntu Minimal Howto

Beans

I'll be checking that out Monday. Thank you!

Beans

Re: Minimum Ubuntu partition install with X GUI

I have ubuntu on my other computer using the normal download of ubuntu 9.04 I am working on a project here is what it is.

I am working with a another guy on Ubuntu music production system for a friend of mine and we decided to use the Ubuntu minimal install and he is doing the install remotely once I get setup on my end.

What i would like to know is what does this install or not install compared to the regular install CD I have never used this before so I am wanting to know more about it? there is not much on the minimal install page except the downloads, or am I missing a link or something?

I do want a X GUI system we decided to go with the mini since all the Ubuntu install iso's have pulseaudio installed and this will not be a compatible sound architecture for the jack sound server etc.

thanks

dave

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

The minimal CD is exactly that, it is command line only.

If you want a full install you can simply install ubuntu-desktop

Code:
    apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    Otherwise you install only what you want. If you want a lighter weight install, install gnome for example.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Ok that helps, I do know that we will need the ubuntu desktop install. Now will that install the desktop like in the regular iso download or do I need to add much more? If it wasn't for the pulse audio issue we would just install the regular Ubuntu 8.04 iso image. I never done this before and there is not much of a howto on this. well I will be watching mostly. excpet I will be installing the just the base minimal.

Is there a howto on the HD partitioning for the ubuntu minimal I will get a howto from the my project team member but I would like to see this as a learning experience for myself.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

yes, ubuntu-desktop is the same as the desktop iso, and it will install pulse audio.

If all you want is to remove pulse audio, I suggest you install the desktop iso and remove the pulse audio package.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Re: Minimum Ubuntu partition install with X GUI

Quote Originally Posted by Dave67 View Post
    I have ubuntu on my other computer using the normal download of ubuntu 9.04 I am working on a project here is what it is.

I am working with a another guy on Ubuntu music production system for a friend of mine and we decided to use the Ubuntu minimal install and he is doing the install remotely once I get setup on my end.

What i would like to know is what does this install or not install compared to the regular install CD I have never used this before so I am wanting to know more about it? there is not much on the minimal install page except the downloads, or am I missing a link or something?

I do want a X GUI system we decided to go with the mini since all the Ubuntu install iso's have pulseaudio installed and this will not be a compatible sound architecture for the jack sound server etc.

thanks

dave
    Have you considered Ubuntu Studio? It is Ubuntu with Jack and lots of other music apps pre installed.

Anyway, since you are using 8.04, you don't need to worry about PulseAudio. It is installed by default in 9.10, but not 8.04 (which uses alsa instead).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Thank you for mentioning this great article. I am interested in creating an ultra-light Ubuntu 9.10 install for an SSD netbook.

The article mentions the following commands for adding certain packages:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gdm xorg uswsusp gnome-core gnome-codec-install indicator-session-applet update-manager firefox-3.5-gnome-support gnome-themes network-manager gdebi
    May I ask, what would be the minimum package commands that I would require for using only OpenOffice, Firefox, Gedit and browsing files in Knome?

I am sorry to ask what is probably a very basic question, but I do not recognise the names of some of the other packages that have been included.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12