Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flash 10: WebCam doesnot work : Camera is unavailable

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Flash 10: WebCam doesnot work : Camera is unavailable

I am trying to get my webcam work with live.yahoo.com or justin.tv in ubuntu. For some reason adobe flash is unable to open my web cam. It shows up a modal dialog box: "Camera is unavailable, may be in use by another application" Results from video test on Skype, on the other hand, is positive on my system. So My webcam is not the issue here.

Screenshots and info here:
    http://blog.sarathonline.com/2008/10...snot-work.html

Another unresolved forum thread:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=689094
    Ubuntu rocks!!Now go ahead thank me
    Lenovo 3000 Y410 Ubuntu Interpid / (never) Vista
    Intel GM965/GL960 | 82801H (ICH8 Family) HDA | Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode) | Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

Beans
    Distro

Cool Re: Flash 10: WebCam doesnot work : Camera is unavailable

bumping, so some one can notice
    Intel GM965/GL960 | 82801H (ICH8 Family) HDA | Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode) | Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

Beans
    Distro

Re: Flash 10: WebCam doesnot work : Camera is unavailable

Quote Originally Posted by sarath_it View Post
    bumping, so some one can notice
    really? No one? Where is the love?

Beans

maybe your camera is not supported by ubuntu (it's very common, i have two cameras, no one is supported, no drivers yet!)

wich model/brand do you have?

Beans

I am having exactly the same problem. Flash10 only discovers the "Laptop Integrated Webcam" - and that one does not work - on my Dell XPS 1330, but all the external cameras (Philips / Logitech) that used to work fine with version 9 do not work with version 10 anymore. I tried this on several Ubuntu install and all show the same problem. The only solution I came across was installing version 9 in a separate directory (/usr/local/flashplayer9) and to use "galternatives" so switch between versions when needed.
    I filed a bug in Adobes bug-database. Read this and you will learn how Adobe keeps the bug statistics down - after posing with the "big strides their engineer made towards better camera support" they made the bug a missing feature and changed the status to "Resolved" and "deferred".

https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-775

I would like to encourage everybody who is affected by this problem to leave an appropriate comment in the bugtracker.

Archives of old Flashplayer versions can be downloaded here:
    http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...nalId=tn_14266

Beans

i'm having identical problem.

in 8.04 everything worked - recording , flash, skype, youtube..

upgrading to 8.10 have messed up my system completely:
    flash 10 doesnt recognize my webcam ( logitech 4000) AND a linux microphone. reverting to flash plugin 9 recognizes the webcam but then there's no sound !

i've been searching all over these forums for solution with no luck.

i'm seriously thinking of wiping everything and going back to Hardy

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TeoK View Post
    i'm having identical problem.

in 8.04 everything worked - recording , flash, skype, youtube..

upgrading to 8.10 have messed up my system completely:
    flash 10 doesnt recognize my webcam ( logitech 4000) AND a linux microphone. reverting to flash plugin 9 recognizes the webcam but then there's no sound !

i've been searching all over these forums for solution with no luck.

i'm seriously thinking of wiping everything and going back to Hardy
    Your soundproblem is most likely caused by "pulseaudio". While Flash10 supports pulse, Flash9 only supports it with libflashsupport installed - and that is not always free of issues. I would recommend to use alsa or try to start your browser (e.g. Firefox) with pasuspender:
    pasuspender -- firefox
    for this you have to make sure that there is no .asoundrc installed in your homedirectory that sets pulse as the default output.

Beans

you appear to be right, Scotty.
    I completely removed PulseAudio from my system and reverted to Flash plugin 9

everything works now

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scotty64 View Post
    Your soundproblem is most likely caused by "pulseaudio". While Flash10 supports pulse, Flash9 only supports it with libflashsupport installed - and that is not always free of issues. I would recommend to use alsa or try to start your browser (e.g. Firefox) with pasuspender:
    pasuspender -- firefox
    for this you have to make sure that there is no .asoundrc installed in your homedirectory that sets pulse as the default output.

how would i do that
    ?????

Beans

The problem is clearly caused by the buggy v4l implementation in Flash Player 10. I am currently using an application called "Webcamstudio" to get my camera(s) running with Flash 10.
    Webcamstudio is great. It creates a virtual webcam via vloopback that can be used by any kind of application (including Flash10 and Skype). You can mix almost any kind of video source (and even stills, text and console output) and apply various effects. It is based on java and uses gstreamer to manage the streams.
    You get it here: http://webcamstudio.wiki.sourceforge.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast