Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestion: Rolling / monthly release. What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-forum?

Beans

Re: Suggestion: Rolling / monthly release. What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-fo

I would actually wish they do a 13.04 release in the ever decreasing hope that Ubuntu could do just one decent unity/compiz release. (none to date that I've seen

(or maybe one will be found in the next 6 months or so before they start breaking everything again
    Last edited by mc4man; March 6th, 2013 at 01:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Suggestion: Rolling / monthly release. What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-fo

Watched the video of this discussion...the general feel i got is that they are just kicking it around at this point...so my feel is this isn't going to happen for 13.04....the way it was proposed, it felt like he wanted to have it go ahead on 13.04 without a final "6 month release" but i suspect 13.04 is just going to end up a regular "normal type" release and it probably won't happen until some time AFTER it's released...
    I was kind of ready for it now myself...so a bit disappointed but not entirely surprised...

Beans

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    So, if that's the case, it won't be until 14.04 arrives...my "feeling" was they would definitely release 13.04 as it is and then sometime between the final release and 13.10, they would come out with the rolling version...actually, it would make sense to just release 13.04 and as they start development on 13.10 to drop the number and just say that testing for that is for the establishment of the rolling version...

Still, i kind of wish it had been for 13.04...but what can you do?

Beans
    Distro

What gets me is that they "hash" it out but make absolutely no decisions on what to do...leaving the community "hanging" and not knowing whether 13.04 will become a rolling release, become a normal 6 month release, have support for the full normal period or a briefer one (if it's released)...not release 13.04 at all...whether to have a rolling release at all...and if a rolling release would be implemented, when to get it going...

See latest report from omg ubuntu:
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/03/u...-april-release
    Last edited by craig10x; March 6th, 2013 at 04:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I simply have zero interest in the crowd who wants to be different. Leet. ‘Linux is supposed to be hard so it’s exclusive’ is just the dumbest thing that a smart person could say. People being people, there are of course smart people who hold that view.
    Not convinced by rolling releases

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by serdotlinecho View Post
    Very interesting post by Mr. Shuttleworth there... I thought rolling releases were going to happen, and soonish. Not so sure now...

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, same here after reading that...sounds like Mark would rather they make point to point release upgrades "bullet proof", so that if you say, upgrade 12.10 to 13.04, everything would transfer smoothly without possible mess-ups like you can get now...

Looks like they probably got us all excited about a rolling release for nothing...i have a feeling it likely won't happen...
    Last edited by craig10x; March 7th, 2013 at 05:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Interesting article i found about Mark Shuttleworth's blog post...here is the highlights of it...sounds like he would instead prefer quicker point releases then the current 6 month cycle which i assume would be available as upgrades to your current running system (much like one gets newer versions of google chrome as they enter the "stable" channel)...actually, that doesn't sound like a bad idea and would probably be even more reliable then an actual "rolling release" and yet you would still stay very current (new software and the like)...

Mark Shuttleworth on Ubuntu releases: "the sky is not falling"

Responding to ongoing discussions and speculation about the future for Ubuntu's release cadence, Canonical Founder Mark Shuttleworth published a blog post today, detailing his thoughts on the issue. Shuttleworth, who holds the position of "Self-Appointed Benevolent Dictator for Life" of the Ubuntu project, has in the past publicly stated his opinion on cadence and the importance of regular releases for the Ubuntu project. In his latest post, Shuttleworth is of the opinion that "rolling releases are not real releases" and are therefore not the right method for Ubuntu to adopt, but that he is considering accelerating Ubuntu's release cycle.

Asking the question whether one release every six months is enough in a world he perceives as being led by web development, Shuttleworth says "can we go even faster? Can we make even MORE releases in a year? And can we automate that process to make it bulletproof for end-users?" This approach seems akin to Mozilla's redesign of the Firefox release process in 2011. Firefox has now firmly moved to releasing a new version every six weeks by staggering releases over a series of distinct channels (Nightly, Aurora, Beta, Stable) and automating large parts of the release process. The Ubuntu developers have already changed parts of their process to include more automated "smoke testing" and fewer milestone releases, and by making regular nightly releases the focus of development.

Shuttleworth also took the time to address the concerns of a number of Ubuntu contributors who had expressed their disillusionment with recent decisions by Canonical where the direction of the Ubuntu project is concerned. Stressing that "the sky is not falling in", Shuttleworth conceded that the company could not please all contributors to the Ubuntu project and that developers who did not like the new directions of the project were free to "move on". According to Shuttleworth, the project has "shifted gear to leadership rather than integration", realising that to bring about general acceptance of open source software in the market, Ubuntu would have to go from shipping the best that open source software has to offer to writing some of that software itself.
    Last edited by craig10x; March 7th, 2013 at 06:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I think this sums it up as far as all the bad press-

'If you’ve done what you want for Ubuntu, then move on. That’s normal – there’s no need to poison the well behind you just because you want to try something else.'

We can see Mr. Shutleworths frustrations rise up here. After all, in all fairness, is it not he who is actually the work-horse that is doing all the heavy lifting?

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast