Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 nvidia

Beans

Red face Re: Ubuntu 12.10 nvidia

Just installing linux headers fixes this!?!?!?!?!?! I recently upgraded from 12.04 and then decided to do a fresh install, on installing my nvidia drivers, Unity wouldn't work and it took me forever on Google before I found this thread. I absolutely love Ubuntu but isn't this something that can be avoided by just installing these headers automatically during the install of Ubuntu? Would cause a lot less distress and earache.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 nvidia

i finally got this working, i have to change the header to match mine

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-3.5.0-18-generic
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-3.5.0-21-generic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

None of the above worked for me with my 3.5.0-21-generic headers and GeForce GT 440 video card. What DID work was downloading the latest linux driver from the nvidia website (version 310.19), and running the installer manually. This READ ME contains the installation instructions:
    http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...DME/index.html

Basically, I opened a terminal window, uninstalled the existing nvidia driver:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-current

Then I stopped the X server:
    sudo service lightdm stop

Navigated to the folder into which I downloaded the nvidia file, and ran the installer:
    sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-310.19.run

Finally, I restarted X server:
    sudo service lightdm start

And all was well with the world.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Ubuntu 12.10 nvidia

You don't need to manually install headers for each new kernel version, just install linux-headers-generic:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    and that meta-package will always pull the latest version of the headers.

Beans

Actually, oizukitom, I'm quite upset too. I've enjoyed Ubuntu for close to a decade and have boasted that it was among the most stable O/Ss out there. When I upgraded from 11.04 to 12.10 I had a good deal of trouble getting my NVidia drivers to work (the Nouveau driver was painfully slow and glitchy). All was well until I allowed the most recent kernel update, and then I was back to single-screen, no borders, no toolbars and some windows refused to accept focus. With the fix in this thread I've been able to resolve the issue but I'm not waiting to see if I have to do this after each header update. I'll try Kubuntu and if that isn't more stable then I'll have to use the W****** word at my local computer store. I can't afford to research work-arounds for "stable" releases every month or so.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WolfWuerd View Post
    Actually, oizukitom, I'm quite upset too. I've enjoyed Ubuntu for close to a decade and have boasted that it was among the most stable O/Ss out there. When I upgraded from 11.04 to 12.10 I had a good deal of trouble getting my NVidia drivers to work (the Nouveau driver was painfully slow and glitchy). All was well until I allowed the most recent kernel update, and then I was back to single-screen, no borders, no toolbars and some windows refused to accept focus. With the fix in this thread I've been able to resolve the issue but I'm not waiting to see if I have to do this after each header update. I'll try Kubuntu and if that isn't more stable then I'll have to use the W****** word at my local computer store. I can't afford to research work-arounds for "stable" releases every month or so.
    Just so you know I used Kubuntu and it seems more stable with Nvidia as I used the newest one listed the 310 driver and it worked great in Kubuntu. I was trying Ubuntu to see what it was like and had nothing but problems. I also had problems with the Nouveau driver as some times it would go to a black screen and just post error messages so I have to use the real nvidia driver.

Beans

Do you have any update, regarding your Kubuntu experience? I also have some troubles with Ubuntu, since the last 3 month ... Re-install it didn't solve the problem but just create other ones ...
    Seems like the stable release is not stable as it should, in specific configuration/hardware ...

Thanks for updating , Mich

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by david_215 View Post
    None of the above worked for me with my 3.5.0-21-generic headers and GeForce GT 440 video card. What DID work was downloading the latest linux driver from the nvidia website (version 310.19), and running the installer manually. This READ ME contains the installation instructions:
    http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...DME/index.html

Basically, I opened a terminal window, uninstalled the existing nvidia driver:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-current

Then I stopped the X server:
    sudo service lightdm stop

Navigated to the folder into which I downloaded the nvidia file, and ran the installer:
    sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-310.19.run

Finally, I restarted X server:
    sudo service lightdm start

And all was well with the world.
    This worked for me with this exception, sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia*
    to remove all nvidia,

I use the latest driver provided by nvidia which is 310.44 at the time of this writing.
    I also installed a fresh copy of 12.10 in anticipation of 13.04
    Last edited by tlan; April 14th, 2013 at 09:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by nesur View Post
    You don't need to manually install headers for each new kernel version, just install linux-headers-generic:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    and that meta-package will always pull the latest version of the headers.
    I too was having the same issue with Nvidia and Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit...the borderless wallpaper without a desktop. I did as you suggested...1. Made sure I was using the nouveau driver. 2. sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic. 3. Loaded the Nvidia driver I wanted to use. Thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123