Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good reason to install antivirus now!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Good reason to install antivirus now!

For your own legal safety.

In Ubuntu you don't really need antivirus, but and it is a big BUT. Nowdays many banks etc.. have rules, that say, if something goes wrong with your internet-bank you are responsible for your losses unless you have an updated antivirus-program on your machine

So for your own safety if you use a netbank or similar you indeed should have antivirus installed. (they don't understand the differences of windows and linux and coudn't care less.)

And one day, there will be active viruses for ubuntu too. and then you will be better protected if you already have a system, which can detect them.

Besides, why make it too tempting to make viruses for ubuntu, If a virus developer does get a ubuntu machine infected he/she can be relatively sure that the virus/trojan can function undetected for a looooooong time, that is, if majority of users do not have antivirus installed.

I recommend installing clamtk (antivirus which uses clamav)

Why not? It doesn't cost anything, doesnt slow your machine (like in windows) and only takes a few MB's from your disk...

Same thing with firewall. Except that iptables -firewall is already installed on all ubuntus.
    I still prefer to install firewalld and firewall-applet on my system

Any thoughts?

Beans

Re: Good reason to install antivirus now!

I have used clam tk for a couple years or more. There are viruses out there that can effect linux systems.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    For your own legal safety.

In Ubuntu you don't really need antivirus, but and it is a big BUT. Nowdays many banks etc.. have rules, that say, if something goes wrong with your internet-bank you are responsible for your losses unless you have an updated antivirus-program on your machine

So for your own safety if you use a netbank or similar you indeed should have antivirus installed. (they don't understand the differences of windows and linux and coudn't care less.)

And one day, there will be active viruses for ubuntu too. and then you will be better protected if you already have a system, which can detect them.

Besides, why make it too tempting to make viruses for ubuntu, If a virus developer does get a ubuntu machine infected he/she can be relatively sure that the virus/trojan can function undetected for a looooooong time, that is, if majority of users do not have antivirus installed.

I recommend installing clamtk (antivirus which uses clamav)

Why not? It doesn't cost anything, doesnt slow your machine (like in windows) and only takes a few MB's from your disk...

Same thing with firewall. Except that iptables -firewall is already installed on all ubuntus.
    I still prefer to install firewalld and firewall-applet on my system

Any thoughts?
    Um if my bank told me that crap I'd get a new bank.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

People who use the now unsupported Windows XP will find that if something happens to their account the banks and credit card companys will just say " sorry you are using an un secure system tell somebody who cares"
    As we all know they will use any tiny detail to not have to pay up.

Um if my bank told me that crap I'd get a new bank.
    And you may find that most if not all banks etc require you to have an upto date operating system with approved security installed.
    Last edited by WogBoy; April 8th, 2014 at 11:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by WogBoy View Post
    And you may find that most if not all banks etc require you to have an upto date operating system with approved security installed.
    I've never heard this ever before and searching through several bank sites found no evidence of it.

1. How would they prove what antivirus you have installed?
    2. How would they prove a virus was responsible?

They are legaly required to not hold fraud against you. Its theft, and is insured by the government as such from my understanding. Identity thieves steal your mail to get sensitive info but the bank can't argue you didn't put a padlock on your mailbox.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If banks did that, it would have to be specifically mentioned in the bank's disclosures and i have NEVER seen that...and if they added it on in more recent times, again...they would have to send you a supplementary notice stating it...
    Have never received such from any of the banks and credit unions i have accounts with...and i doubt anyone else here can say they have gotten such a notification either...

Beans

here is a bank's mobile security statement

Code:

MOBILE BANKING  Customer Education / Awareness  

1.    LOCK YOUR PHONE   
    “Lock” your phone with a PIN or security code, which makes it more difficult for others to access the device.  If you leave your phone at the coffee shop or in your car and its stolen your data is safer.  
    2.    DON’T SAVE PASSWORDS   
    Enter your password every time you need to access accounts rather than storing them automatically.  When banking on your cell phone, it is essential to protect the data you access from it.  Manually entering user Ids and passwords might be more time-consuming, but you’ll thank yourself if your phone is ever stolen.  
    3.    SUBSCRIBE TO REMOTE WIPING PROGRAMS   
    Some phones have remote wiping services that can be used to erase all data if your phone is ever lost or stolen.  Since banking on your cell phone can leave personal information on the device, these services create peace of mind.  
    4.    LOOK AROUND   
    Don’t try banking on your cell phone in a crowded area where anyone could look over your shoulder.  If you must do this in public, sit or stand with your back to a wall, and look up from time to time.  This isn’t a foolproof method, but maintaining awareness of your surroundings will help protect sensitive data.  
    5.    TEXT WITH CAUTION   
    Some banks allow you to communicate with them via text message, receiving alerts and account information.  Keep in mind, however, that your bank will never ask you to send them personal information, such as your account or social security number via text.    
    6.    DOWNLOAD WITH CAUTION   
    Banking on your cell phone is easy when your bank offers a free application that allows you to manage your accounts.  But before you download an app, make sure it is actually created by and for your bank.  Verify sources and go to the institution to get the app.  
    7.      AVOID HACKS   
    There are tons of articles all over the Internet about how to hack phones, but this is a bad idea if you’re using mobile banking.  Hacks create vulnerabilities in the security system of your phone, which could leave it open to hackers who wouldn’t have otherwise been able to gain access.  
    8.      FOLLOW NORMAL SECURITY PROCEDURES   
    One of the dangers of banking from your cell phone is the ease with which you can access account features.  It becomes second nature, an afterthought, and this is where people get in trouble.  Follow basic security procedures whenever you us mobile banking features.  Don’t give your passwords to anyone, use complex passwords, and store your phone in safe place.
    My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans

same bank's online statement

Code:
    Online Banking
                            Online Banking gives you more power as a banking customer  than ever before!  It's easy to use, and before long you'll be using it  nearly every day.  If you have any questions, call, email, or stop by and see us and we'd be happy to help you. 

Keeping Your Information Safe
    Our  Online Banking is among the safest systems in the industry.  After  signing in, we provide a secure messaging system equipped with the  strongest encryption available.  Furthermore, our server is firewall  protected.  

My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

furthermore even the3 up0date antivirus software does not guarantee 100 % protection. there are many antivirus software with variosu degree fo detections of various malware. some might detect one version but not the other while others will detect the other but not the one detectable by previous antivirus.

clamav does not have high detection rate and often has false positives.

my bank also has additional proteciton where you need to type a code from messger encoded on paper if you transfer money to a new account. and that code you need ot type is unique each time you create new transfer.

an finally it's like blaming a customer when their safe deposit box was robbed because they werent there day and night to protect it themselves. we pay each month to the bank to keep our money safe. and that 's what they are expected to be doing . otherwise there is no point in putting money in a bank is there? i mean interest rates fur us commoners are usually garbage anyway...
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

In my school they have similar requirement to access the university's network, but it is understood that it is only for Windows. Mac and Linux users are not required to have any AV but Windows users have to install not just any Av, but Norton (I don't know how they check, but this is the rule)

I doubt that the banks are even thinking of Linux, as these institutions tend to assume that everyone uses Windows (now maybe Mac) These are the places where you can still find IE only online services.

Btw clamav (and all the AV installable on Linux for that matter) scans only for Windows virus, so the point of installing it is what?
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 9th, 2014 at 11:22 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast