Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make a live CD/DVD from your harddisk installation

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Wink Re: How to make a live CD/DVD from your harddisk installation

Thanks capink for this Tutorial, really it was great, and worked wonderful for me

Wish you good luck.
    BTW: Mabrook the CAF 2008 for Eygpt

Beans

Re: How to make a live CD/DVD from your harddisk installation

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoot View Post
    Thanks capink for this Tutorial, really it was great, and worked wonderful for me

Wish you good luck.
    BTW: Mabrook the CAF 2008 for Eygpt
    Alla yebarek feek.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tybion View Post
    Thanks, capink. This is brilliant. I am pasting it into a customized script specifically for me, but leaving all your comments in the script.
    The script is going to be handy whenever you want to repeat the process. I thought about making it in a script at first, but then I retreated and felt it is better to present it with a series of instructions so anyone can make a script of his own if he wishes. Good luck.

Beans

Hello,

Thanks for the well written and well formatted guide. I just have one issue:
    Everything seems to work well, but after selecting the normal GUI option in GRUB I am dumped to
    BusyBox ash shell where the prompt display ( initramfs ). Could anyone tell me what I messed up? I feel like the correct outcome should boot me into my normal GUI from the original install or something else.... I am working with Ubunut 7.10 and also tried this a few weeks ago on Debian 4.0 and had the same end result. Any help or explanation of why I got dumped into this shell instead of the system I thought I had squashed and put on the CD would be most helpful.

Beans

After being dumped to the busybox shell, you should find a log file called live.log or casper.log. You can know the name of the log file by typing:

Code:
    ls
    After identifying the log filename, type the following command to view the content of the log:

Code:
    cat /log/filename
    The error message should give an idea about the problem you are facing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i followed your guide to the letter, but when i start the live cd, it loads the gnome desktop, then 5 seconds later bumps me back to the GDM login screen, and says user ubuntu will start in 10 seconds, logs in again and kicks back out, not sure what happend

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Well mine worked in VirtualBox. But when I actually tried to boot to live CD it got stuck on FD0 I dont even own a floppy WTH do I do to get past that???
    Last edited by Fred_E _krugar; March 10th, 2008 at 07:56 PM.
    If You Ask A Question, Please Read And Understand The Answer.

We're All Here, Because We're Not All There.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joshrobinson View Post
    i followed your guide to the letter, but when i start the live cd, it loads the gnome desktop, then 5 seconds later bumps me back to the GDM login screen, and says user ubuntu will start in 10 seconds, logs in again and kicks back out, not sure what happend
    I don't know what is causing this problem. Can you try logging from a text shell (press alt+f1 and then login and type the command startx -- :1)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fred_E _krugar View Post
    Well mine worked in VirtualBox. But when I actually tried to boot to live CD it got stuck on FD0 I dont even own a floppy WTH do I do to get past that???
    That is most probably indicative of hardware problem. If the official Ubuntu cd is working fine for you, One hack you can try is copying the initrd from the official Ubuntu cd to replace the one in your custom cd (this will only work if both cds have exactly the same kernel version).

Beans

very nice how to , i will be using this later
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast