Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photoshop CS6 theme for Gimp 2.8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Photoshop CS6 theme for Gimp 2.8

Hi,

I recently created a theme for Gimp (2.8+), Tool Icons and GTK2 theme that looks similar to CS6. I cerated it to help those transition between Adobe and Gimp, most new users stating that Gimp is just unworkable, or words to that fashion. This should help bridge the gap somewhat I hope.

It might even be of use if you are a seasoned Gimp user and want a more pro "look" for your software. Either way I hope you like it

Within the download is comprehensive PDF tutorial on how to install the theme in case you don't know how to, although it's easy as making a boiled egg.

I've also added a new splash screen and my Tool icon layout in case it's of interest.

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.p...content=160952

Jay.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Photoshop CS6 theme for Gimp 2.8

Very nice, Jay. It's true that folks like best what they are familiar with, so certainly this will help, especially if there is the predicted migration to Ubuntu, once XP is no longer supported.

I confess I've never used Adobe products other than Reader, but I certainly like the look of what you've done. Similar layout to Inkscape, which I am familiar with.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, this type of layout has become the standard for most 'art' styled apps, so even if you've not used Photoshop before, or CS6 you'll probably find this layout more straight forward and tidy to use. Plus you'll have gained a whole lotta screen width for working with images.

Beans

This is great! I don't use GIMP, i use Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, i'm trying to replace Ai and Id for Inkscape and Scribus, it's hard but the main thing why it's hard it's becase of the UI/UX, the three main graphics alternatives for this programs, Open Source speaking, are GIMP, Inkscape and Scribus but none of them have a good UI, GIMP has by far the best of the three and with Single Window Mode it really reassembles Photoshop and with a theme, hell yeah!

I really do not know why having THE SEXIEST OS of all, i mean, look at KDE4, GNOME3, look at elementaryOS, damn! That is gorgeous, but Inkscape UI is damn ugly, Scribus UI it's in the middle of the three, but with that ugly UI the UX comes and it makes the program harder to addopt and it shouldn't be, take this UI Redesign for example :

Why i wouldn't want to use that? I know it has almost the same features, i can live without some things (can't select multiple guides for example) but not without a ugly and not so functional UI.

Hope the teams behind those apps can put a good UI/UX and i think is the only thing that's keeping people from chaging, at least for me it is that simple.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's the same for all of us moving from Adobe products - You'd think that as developers have all that freedom they'd fill their software full of amazing features and really show how cutting edge their interfaces and software could be. But from what I've learned over the years most devs work in their own small groups and really like to do things thier way - Open Source ain't a democracy, no matter how good your ideas are, or mock ups - they mostly just don't listen to the users.

Elementary OS is a loveley 'looking' distro, better looking than most - but maybe that's to do with the break away from the typical Linuxy/Windows look and going for a more OSX style of thing. That said though as a past EOS user myself the feedback you get from the devs is poor to say the least. EOS doesn't even have it's own forum, instead using Google+ and IRC. If it wasn't for the small but great community at http://elementaryforum.org/ I don't think many people would hang around waiting.

The only software that really does shine through all this Open Sourceness in my opinion is blender (blender.org) - these guys at the Blender Foundation put so much effort into their software and do listen to their users.

I don't know about Inkscape's development, but Gimp's is increadibly slow. From what I gather some of the devs have real jobs and just tinker with it in their spare time - maybe this is the nature of Open Source for some. Saying that, I still love it, and would go this way rather than commercial any day - I always tend to favour the underdog.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by JayArtist View Post
    It's the same for all of us moving from Adobe products - You'd think that as developers have all that freedom they'd fill their software full of amazing features and really show how cutting edge their interfaces and software could be. But from what I've learned over the years most devs work in their own small groups and really like to do things thier way - Open Source ain't a democracy, no matter how good your ideas are, or mock ups - they mostly just don't listen to the users.

Elementary OS is a loveley 'looking' distro, better looking than most - but maybe that's to do with the break away from the typical Linuxy/Windows look and going for a more OSX style of thing. That said though as a past EOS user myself the feedback you get from the devs is poor to say the least. EOS doesn't even have it's own forum, instead using Google+ and IRC. If it wasn't for the small but great community at http://elementaryforum.org/ I don't think many people would hang around waiting.

The only software that really does shine through all this Open Sourceness in my opinion is blender (blender.org) - these guys at the Blender Foundation put so much effort into their software and do listen to their users.

I don't know about Inkscape's development, but Gimp's is increadibly slow. From what I gather some of the devs have real jobs and just tinker with it in their spare time - maybe this is the nature of Open Source for some. Saying that, I still love it, and would go this way rather than commercial any day - I always tend to favour the underdog.
    Software takes time to write... a typical programmer will produce 200 lines of working code per day. Programmers have to be fed, housed and sometimes also have to feed, house, and cater to the needs of a family. Open source if basically free, so the business models are:

- the code is useful (and somewhat vital) to some rich people or companies, and they pay for the development directly or by letting some of their employees work on the code: Blender, Apache
    - the producer of the code funds programmers but makes a benefit by selling services around the code: RedHat
    - the programmers have another job and work on the code on their free time: Gimp

Gimp development is slow because there aren't that many active developers on the Gimp core.

You are right, open source isn't a democracy, it's an "ergocracy". The more you work and benefit the community, the more power you have. Where you are wrong is when you say OSS developers don't listen to users. They listen, which doesn't mean they will obey. They listen to everybody, but of course choices have to be made, so some users feel rejected. Your ideas, even good, may not be compatible with other things or would require a redesign of the application... A good idea is much more likely to be accepted when it comes with code...
    Warning: unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by JayArtist View Post

(+1 @ ofnuts)
    Gimp works !. In all the years I have used image editors not once has Gimp crashed....... Many others have .
    I support the Gimp Devs by donation and am wonderously grateful for their efforts...!
    Their only failing is to suffer others who overhype developement....
    Gimp is my go-to app for work that needs to happen now. It has not now, not ever, never (apologies to Andy Williams' bear ) failed me and it's dev's deserve your full support in whatever way you feel able.
    Have a nice one...
    Last edited by robert shearer; October 20th, 2013 at 07:39 AM.

Beans

I was really excited to use this, as I only have run through the Adobe CS and need something I can work with until I get my Creative Cloud running right, if at all.

However whenever I click the I am directed to a blank page reading "Not found". Am I doing something wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The link works for me...
    Warning: unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

I like the look of the theme, I will attempt to install in the next few days and report back on how it goes. Thank you for putting the effort in

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast