Thread: How to select Virtualbox window in Unity?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question How to select Virtualbox window in Unity?

Ubuntu 12.04 32bit / Virtualbox 4.1.12

I'm at my wit's end with an issue I have with with multiple Virtualbox windows run fullscreen under Unity. When I click the Virtualbox icon on the Dash, the last-accessed Virtualbox window opens. That's fine if that's the VM I want to work with but not so if I want to work with another since the open VB window prevents me from clicking the Dash icon and so I can't bring up the 'window selector'.

Is there a setting I've missed or some other way to let me switch to the window I want without needing to close down the last-used virtual machine?

TIA,

Geoff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to select Virtualbox window in Unity?

When you're in a VirtualBox window try hitting Right Ctrl to give focus back to Ubuntu and then ALT+` to cycle between VirtualBox instances (the ` key is usually above the TAB key).

If you aren't currently in a VirtualBox window then hold ALT and hit TAB until VirtualBox is highlighted and then without releasing ALT keep hitting ` until you reach the required window.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Also if you click on the virtualbox icon in the launcher twice, you should be taken into scale mode which will show you a tiled view of your open virtualbox windows.

You can also access this scale mode by pressing super+w.
    Last edited by jerome1232; December 2nd, 2012 at 03:55 PM.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    When you're in a VirtualBox window try hitting Right Ctrl to give focus back to Ubuntu and then ALT+` to cycle between VirtualBox instances (the ` key is usually above the TAB key).

If you aren't currently in a VirtualBox window then hold ALT and hit TAB until VirtualBox is highlighted and then without releasing ALT keep hitting ` until you reach the required window.
    Thanks for that. Alt=` seems what I was missing!

It's a bit kludgy, but does work around the issue. It would have been good if clicking and holding on the Dash icon produced the application window thumbnails...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    Also if you click on the virtualbox icon in the launcher twice, you should be taken into scale mode which will show you a tiled view of your open virtualbox windows.

You can also access this scale mode by pressing super+w.
    Thanks for the response. Double-clicking the Virtualbox icon wasn't possible as the first click switched focus to the last-accessed VB window, which covered the Launcher icon thus making it impossible to click on that icon a second time!

However, super+w works well -- even if I had to search the Internet to find out that the 'Super' key is what Microsoft call the 'Windows' key. Thanks.