Thread: Custom SFTP Mountpoint in Nautilus

Beans

Custom SFTP Mountpoint in Nautilus

Hello everyone,

I have a question that I've been researching for several days, for which I can't find an answer.

I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 with the Classic Gnome environment. I'm trying to figure out a way to set a custom mountpoint for an FTP server that I'm accessing.

I know that I can use "File / Connect to Server..." in Nautilus and that the mount will then be made at /.gvfs. I need a custom mountpoint, though -- Mendeley, a reference manager that I'm trying to use, has a file manager within it that I need to use, and it can't see Ubuntu's hidden folders.

Does anyone know how I might accomplish this? Thank you very much for any help you might be willing to give!

My best,
    J.

Beans

Re: Custom SFTP Mountpoint in Nautilus

Sorry, does anyone have any idea about this? I also tried sshfs, but it doesn't seem to be connecting. I would be very grateful for any pointers!

My best,
    J.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by toseethefruit View Post
    I also tried sshfs, but it doesn't seem to be connecting.
    Can you connect with the regular sftp client with the -v option?

Beans

Can you drag-and-drop from the share in Nautilus to that application? I don't know if that's applicable to your situation, but it should work even without explicit GIO support.

Beans

Lars and crdlb, thank you so very much for your suggestions. crdlb, I wasn't able to drag and drop into the program (it has a tree structure with checkboxes next to each folder), but, as it turns out, following Lars' reply actually led me to find another solution. I realized that I was able to connect to the server with the regular sftp client, so I knew that my connection settings were correct. I then went back and re-read all of the manual pages for sshfs and found that I had misunderstood how to set up an sshfs connection before. I needed to add a specific directory on the server that I wanted to mount to my local computer:

Code:
     sshfs [username]@ftp.servername.com:server-folder-name ~/local-folder-name
    I hadn't been including the server-folder-name. Mea culpa.

I'm writing all of this down here in case anyone in the future has a similar problem. sshfs definitely seems like the best option for me to mount a server folder to a local folder, then, and is almost just as easy as using Nautilus' "Connect to Server" option. Again, thank you both!

My best,
    J.

Beans

I just encountered the same problem and found the answer in the following discussion thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1474597

You may find the mount-points under ~/.gvfs/

Quote Originally Posted by toseethefruit View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have a question that I've been researching for several days, for which I can't find an answer.

I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 with the Classic Gnome environment. I'm trying to figure out a way to set a custom mountpoint for an FTP server that I'm accessing.

I know that I can use "File / Connect to Server..." in Nautilus and that the mount will then be made at /.gvfs. I need a custom mountpoint, though -- Mendeley, a reference manager that I'm trying to use, has a file manager within it that I need to use, and it can't see Ubuntu's hidden folders.

Does anyone know how I might accomplish this? Thank you very much for any help you might be willing to give!

My best,
    J.

Beans

make a symbolic link to the .gvfs directory

/home/you> ln -s "/home/you/.gvfs/SFTPDIR" /home/you/visibledir