Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 4810TG on Jaunty - ATI Driver

Beans

Re: Acer Timeline 4810TG on Jaunty - ATI Driver

Quote Originally Posted by s7ev1n View Post
    Go for Acer 3820TG, everything is working for me now.
    Everything works? Well, at least the graphic switching...?
    Last edited by qetuR; July 15th, 2010 at 07:20 PM.

Beans

any hints for 2.6.35 kernel? i have instaled it for best support Intel HD in i3. but
    Code:
    user@user-laptop:~/hints/atioffcp$ sudo modprobe lenovo_acpi FATAL: Error inserting lenovo_acpi (/lib/modules/2.6.35-020635rc1-generic/updates/dkms/lenovo_acpi.ko): Kernel does not have module support
    upd:
    rename to timelinex_acpi. cp to kernel. and it works.
    3820tg \ i3
    Last edited by fennol; August 8th, 2010 at 09:06 AM.

Beans

Hi, I've just started running Lucid on an IdeaPad Y460, with Intel GMA and an ATI Radeon HD 5600. I'd like to be able to turn off the ATI card when I boot up with switchable graphics (the BIOS offers "switchable" and "discrete" settings), but I can't get any of these modules to work. I first tried the original lenovo_acpi module, but when I try to load it I get this error:

Code:
    $ sudo modprobe lenovo_acpi
    FATAL: Error inserting lenovo_acpi (/lib/modules/2.6.32-24-generic/updates/dkms/lenovo_acpi.ko): Kernel does not have module support

$ dmesg | grep lenovo
    [   15.846137] lenovo_acpi: cannot get ACPI handle: AE_NOT_FOUND
    [ 1157.076571] lenovo_acpi: cannot get ACPI handle: AE_NOT_FOUND
    This is the same error that telefunken and fpwerth had, so I tried the timelinex_acpi module as well. timelinex_acpi loaded without errors and shows up when I do lsmod, BUT it doesn't turn off the ATI card. Even though the module reports that the discrete card has been turned off, lspci says it's still active.

Code:
    $ dmesg | grep acpi
    [   20.610105] timelinex_acpi: disabled the discrete graphics card

$ lspci | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 12)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Redwood [Radeon HD 5600 Series] (rev ff)
    Does anybody have suggestions about what I should do to make this work? Since I have very little experience with kernel modules, my strategy so far has been to randomly try things and see if they work . I'm running out of ideas though, and I need some help from knowledgeable people.
    Last edited by Cerasi; August 21st, 2010 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Added more debugging info

Beans

After a couple of weeks with this laptop, i find it very good. I like absolutely everything.

I even got a proper way to use the graphics, it's not as good as in Windows, but atleast it works.

I am not 100% sure what kinda graphics it is using at the moment, but the battery time is really better.

I use the drivers from ATis homepage, I found them more updated then the ones that came with the propratary driver menu.

If I have the cable plugged in when I start the computer, I get the advanced graphics. If i plugg it out and restarts X (i have enabled ctrl+alt+backspace), I get the Intel graphics and the battery is improved. If I want to get better graphics I simply plugg in the powercord and restarts X again.

Voila! I can now have up to 8h of battery time with surfing, using wifi and medium brightness on screen with a 9cell battery.

Beans

I bought the timelineX 3820TG a couple of days ago and I want to compile the linux-2.6.34 Kernel with switcheroo.

But when I get to the step to "cd /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo" (from this blog : thttp://asusm51ta-with-linux.blogspot.com/) the folder doesn't exist

Maybe I did something wrong ? Can anyone confirm that the method works ?

Also I am wandering if I can use somehow the ati 5650 proprietary driver when using the ati card. Is that posible ?

I also have a problem with the "Two finger scroll" on the touch pad. The option in mouse settings is disabled and for pretty much any other solution (including the one with xinput settings) my mouse becomes very jumpy once I put 2 fingers on the touch pad.
    Can anyone confirm that the "Two finger scroll" works ?

btw I use 64 bit ubuntu Ubuntu. Do you guys also use the 64bit version ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by smokyink View Post
    I bought the timelineX 3820TG a couple of days ago and I want to compile the linux-2.6.34 Kernel with switcheroo.

But when I get to the step to "cd /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo" (from this blog : thttp://asusm51ta-with-linux.blogspot.com/) the folder doesn't exist

Maybe I did something wrong ? Can anyone confirm that the method works ?

Also I am wandering if I can use somehow the ati 5650 proprietary driver when using the ati card. Is that posible ?

I also have a problem with the "Two finger scroll" on the touch pad. The option in mouse settings is disabled and for pretty much any other solution (including the one with xinput settings) my mouse becomes very jumpy once I put 2 fingers on the touch pad.
    Can anyone confirm that the "Two finger scroll" works ?

btw I use 64 bit ubuntu Ubuntu. Do you guys also use the 64bit version ?
    Yeah, I use 64 bit. I have not experienced any odd things. I wont be expecting it either because I can use all the application I want today. Flash works, Java works with OpenJDk, all the compilers work great, and with wine 1.2 I can run alot of Windows games. Heroes of Newerth works like a charm in Linux, and what else can I ask for?

Regarding the multitouch difficulties;: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...45&postcount=2

It helped me.

Beans

Question:

Has anyone else had the GPU disabling code (ie the lenovo_acpi.c) stop working? I upgraded my Ubuntu 10.10 kernel (now 2.6.35-22-generic #35-Ubuntu), recompiled and reapplied the kernel module. Now my battery usage seems to be back to prior usage levels (ie 2.5 hrs rather than my previous 5 hrs).

I'm using a HP Tm2t w/ a Radeon Mobility 4550 & Intel integrated graphics chip.

Any help or troubleshooting tips are appreciated.

-Cheers

Beans

I have Acer 3820TG (Core i5 430M with ATI 5650) and the newest Ubuntu 10.10.
    When I disabled the ATI using these scripts: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...6&postcount=11 with these modifications: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=65 the first impression was fine - right fan slot was cold and battery life was over 5h, but the problem appeared - sleep mode and hibernation stopped working - my notebook either doesn't "fall asleep" or when it does it doesn't wake up. How come? Could anyone help me with this? Thanks.

Beans

anyone willing to remote desktop with me and apply these changes to my acer 3820tg???? i cant seem to get it working. i have the ubuntu 10.10 2.6.35.22 kernel
    11" Macbook air | LM13xfce |

Beans

@mylan4:

paste this into the terminal

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

and add following string at the end

blacklist radeon

reboot.

@hotwax

its really easy. do this

open up terminal and type

gedit timelinex_acpi.c

past following code inside and save.

Code:
    /* 
     * timelinex_acpi.c
     * Linux kernel module that disables the discrete graphics board for Acer
     * Aspire TimelineX 3820TG (Core i5). Other TimelineX laptops could work, but I don't know.
     * Based on the original lenovo_acpi.c by Sylvain Joyeux <sylvain.joyeux@m4x.org>, 2009
     */
    #include <acpi/acpi.h>

MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");

static acpi_handle root_handle;

static int __init kill_ati(void)
    {
        int i;
        acpi_status status;
        // The device handle
        acpi_handle handle;
        // The package elements
        union acpi_object package_elements[3];
        // The arguments to ATPX
        union acpi_object atpx_arg_elements[2];
        struct acpi_object_list atpx_arg;
        // For the return value of ATPX
        struct acpi_buffer buffer = { ACPI_ALLOCATE_BUFFER, NULL };

status = acpi_get_handle(root_handle, "\\_SB.PCI0.P0P2.PEGP._OFF", &handle); //     status = acpi_get_handle(root_handle, "\\_SB_.PCI0.OVGA.ATPX", &handle);
        if (ACPI_FAILURE(status))
        {
            status = acpi_get_handle(root_handle, "\\_SB_.PCI0.OVGA.XTPX", &handle);
            {
                printk("timelinex_acpi: cannot get ACPI handle: %s\n", acpi_format_exception(status));
                return -ENOSYS;
            }
            printk("timelinex_acpi: in discrete graphics mode\n");
            return 0;
        }

for (i = 0; i < 3; ++i)
        {
            package_elements[i].type = ACPI_TYPE_INTEGER;
            package_elements[i].integer.value = 0;
        }

atpx_arg.count = 0; //     atpx_arg.count = 2;
        atpx_arg.pointer = &atpx_arg_elements[0];

atpx_arg_elements[0].type = ACPI_TYPE_INTEGER;
        atpx_arg_elements[0].integer.value = 2;

atpx_arg_elements[1].type = ACPI_TYPE_PACKAGE;
        atpx_arg_elements[1].package.count = 3;
        atpx_arg_elements[1].package.elements = &package_elements[0];

status = acpi_evaluate_object(handle, NULL, &atpx_arg, &buffer);
        {
            printk("timelinex_acpi: ATPX method call failed: %s\n", acpi_format_exception(status));
            return -ENOSYS;
        }
        kfree(buffer.pointer);

printk("timelinex_acpi: disabled the discrete graphics card\n");
        return 0;
    }

static void dummy(void)
    {
    }

module_init(kill_ati);
    module_exit(dummy);

then type in terminal

gedit Makefile

and paste following code inside

Code:
    ifneq ($(KERNELRELEASE),)
      obj-m := timelinex_acpi.o
    else
      KERNELDIR ?= /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build
      PWD := $(shell pwd)

default:
    	$(MAKE) -C $(KERNELDIR) M=$(PWD) $(EXTRA_FLAGS) modules

clean:
    	$(MAKE) -C $(KERNELDIR) M=$(PWD) $(EXTRA_FLAGS) clean

endif

save and paste in terminal

make
    sudo cp timelinex_acpi.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/
    sudo depmod
    echo timelinex_acpi | sudo tee -a /etc/modules > /dev/null

done.

dont forget to

paste this into the terminal

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

and add following string at the end
    Last edited by f4lkon; November 11th, 2010 at 09:19 AM.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast