Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu/Unity usability help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ubuntu/Unity usability help!

Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    Hi, I want to test out Unity on Ubuntu and I have looked for ways to solve these problems but couldn't find any.

[*]The Unity launcher cannot be placed at the bottom. I hate getting horizontal scroll bars on netbooks. (Wasn't unity designed for netbooks in the first place)
    [*]Elements on the dash are oversized, space waster on small screens. It should have a scaling algorithm to show more content on small screens
    [*]The dash can get slow to use and there is a type lag on GMA950. I changed some settings in ccsm and its much better but not perfect regarding the dash.
    [*]Launcher is irritating to use with autohide as it doesn't appear due to sensitivity settings. (Even on the highest sensitivity settings)
    [*]Controls such as wireless management seem dated.
    [*]Lack of an address bar in nautilus, E.g in Dolphin (KDE) and windows explorer when you click at the side of the bread crumbs, you get an address bar where you can type.
    [*]ALT + F2 offers to run commands that don't exist and even saves them in recent history. Krunner is by far more powerful. E.g in Unity I can do ALT + F2 "this-command-does-not-exist" and it allows me to run it. If I do the same with krunner it does not offer to run it nor does it save it in recent history.[/LIST]
    • Where is the problem here? The Launcher is not a scrollbar, and even if it was, scrollbars are usually vertical, so that you could scroll up and down the page. It should make perfect sense placing the Launcher vertically on 16x9 notebooks screens, but, I guess, whenever hatered steps in, design and logic fail.
    • There needs to be a balance between clutter and the amount of content, especially on small screens. Some users whant to see more stuff, others less, so, how do you please everyone?
    • As said, too much stuff goes one there. Disable a few things, and it will become realy fast, add more - really slow.
    • Use the Super key - always works.
    • Really? Like sprinkled with dates? What on earth are you talking about?
    • Try ctrl-l.
    • This is just silly. First you type a command that doesn't exist, then say that ALT-F2 offers it. Who are trying to trick?

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    • Where is the problem here? The Launcher is not a scrollbar, and even if it was, scrollbars are usually vertical, so that you could scroll up and down the page. It should make perfect sense placing the Launcher vertically on 16x9 notebooks screens, but, I guess, whenever hatered steps in, design and logic fail.
    • etc...
    • This is just silly. First you type a command that doesn't exist, then say that ALT-F2 offers it. Who are trying to trick?
    Is all that really necessary? Being deliberately obtuse, evasive and defensive is not really helpful, don't you think?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by rai4shu2 View Post
    Is all that really necessary? Being deliberately obtuse, evasive and defensive is not really helpful, don't you think?
    No. If I didn't think it was helpful, would I have spent the time to write it? ...and since you obviously disagree, let us simply agree to disagree.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No. If I didn't think it was helpful, would I have spent the time to write it? ...and since you obviously disagree, let us simply agree to disagree.
    Ouch. Well, I disagree with that.

I will, however, agree to not disagree that we cannot agree.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

• There needs to be a balance between clutter and the amount of content, especially on small screens. Some users whant to see more stuff, others less, so, how do you please everyone?
    • As said, too much stuff goes one there. Disable a few things, and it will become realy fast, add more - really slow.
    • Try ctrl-l.
    [/LIST]

I know that it is not a scroll bar, but on systems with horizontal resolution 1024, if you have a maximized web browser, you get a horizontal scroll bar which is annoying and would not happen of the launcher was at the bottom.

You offer a setting to configure it to please everyone. I am referring to a more reasonable size for icons etc really not really tiny content. Even on bigger screens, if tactile input is not in mind the icons should not be oversized.

I have not added anything, just the defaults. Windows 7 /8 and KDE 4.9 handle this computer with composition so why shouldn't Unity work?
      That's a workaround for functionality that is broken. If auto hide exists, it should work properly. Besides Super key shows the dash and the launcher so it is not the same. In the first place I would not have to auto hide if the dash was at the bottom.

The definition of "dated" means old and no longer used concepts. There should be less clicks and it should be more intuitive and informative. See attached image
    • Try ctrl-l.
      Again a workaround and not the same

It is far from silly, if I type a command with a typo it should not behave as if it exists and try to run it. Besides it offers no feedback about the command not existing and saves it in recent history. In the fist place ALT+F2 should be able to search for programs and a lot more, krunner (see screenshot) is a lot more powerful.
    [
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kio_http; October 5th, 2012 at 10:29 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12