Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9.04 and 9.10 on a HP Envy 15

Beans

Post 9.04 and 9.10 on a HP Envy 15

Hi,

Thought I'd share my experiences installing Jaunty and Karmic on a HP Envy 15.

9.04 Installs, boots.
    9.10 Installs, boots.

What's working; WiFi, Battery/AC, Suspend & Resume

What's not working; Thermal Zone sensors, Fan control

What's semi-working; Sound/Mic (shows up in ALSA mixer, doesn't output, nor records any sound see fix below), VGA (on 9.04, colours botched when switching to text terminal and back again, on 9.10 colours are fine but text/fonts are botched, on 9.10 fonts are fixed when text is redrawn, background also botched on 9.10 when fading while displaying gksudo), on 9.04 stability (installation/upgrades hangs regularly with system becoming increasingly non-responsive, have not noticed this on 9.10 yet)

Due to mentioned problems 9.04 and 9.10 are really a no-go on this machine. Both 64-bit and 32-bit were tested with similar results.

Bug filed for Thermal Zone and Fans
    Bug filed for Screen corruption

Update: Sound now fully working; Luke Yelavich from Canonical suggested to install linux-backports-modules-alsa-karmic-generic and rebooting.
    Update2: The HP Pavillion DV6T QUAD Edition seems to suffer from the same problems.
    Last edited by irwjager; October 31st, 2009 at 11:46 PM.

Beans

Re: 9.04 and 9.10 on a HP Envy 15

Was looking into getting one of these. I just am scared of ATI video cards.

Just wondering are you running the ati drivers or the open source ones?
    Does direct rendering work at all?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bongey View Post
    Was looking into getting one of these. I just am scared of ATI video cards.

Just wondering are you running the ati drivers or the open source ones?
    Does direct rendering work at all?
    While I haven't been able to get the ATI card to work on the Envy as of yet, ATI has come a long way in supporting Linux. The (recent) ATI card on my Desktop runs fine using the latest Catalyst drivers.

Beans

I just received my dv6t with an 820QM which suffers from the same issues. I noted this in your bug report on Launchpad...

On the DV6 BIOS screen, there's a "Keep fan always on" option that might be breaking compliance...I'll see if it makes a difference.

Beans

If you're interested in or bought one of these machines, please let HP know that this affects you:
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/...d=22292#M22292

Beans

Ubuntu 9.10.

Before the change to X 1.6, the accelerated closed source stuff from ATI was fantastic. 3D worked extremely well.

Of course, the mid-flight update to the new version of X destroyed the ability to run the ATI driver. Now, just say that at a developer party and see how bad the finger pointing gets...

After all Ubuntu 9.10 updates current to 18 December 2009 the box is stable and useable.

For X, just use the opensource driver.
    For sound, modify the line in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf to read:
    options snd-hda-intel power_save=10 power_save_controller=N model=hp-dv5 enable_msi=1

Ethernet works fine.
    Bluetooth works fine.
    Keyboard... Well, it's not as nice as Apple's and mine has a sticky '/' key which seems to be getting better, the more I use it.
    Reading CD's with the included USB connected reader/writer is fine. WRITING them is another matter and the device fails under Ubuntu. I'm not sure if it fails under Windows, which I can't test yet. Underruns are a problem at all speeds.

The touchpad is a bother. No drivers for it yet except as a generic "mouse" type device. Annoying when typing as it is sensitive and will send the cursor somewhere unexpected and then CLICK there if one brushes it with one's thumb. There's no right-click of course. I use an Apple USB mouse and it works just fine.

Otherwise, it's a fast laptop. There's a bit of back and forth about which side the problem is on for ACPI- and it looks like it's a problem back on the Linux side, with "when" the kernel handles ACPI. Know that the latest OpenSolaris also has trouble with the exact same thing. Opensolaris won't install for a lack of a driver, too, for the RAID0 disks.
    My laptop idles with the sensors applet showing about 40c.

I don't know if "turboboost" is working. I've not tried really hard with single threaded applications to get the CPU's to bump up.

Booting from the batteries does give a much better readout (CSTATES) in powertop- which is NOT installed by default.

Overall, I'm not exactly happy with my experience so far- but I realize that the laptop is new and the experience will almost certainly improve as time goes on. Patches for the touchpad are in the works. Appropriate kernel bugs are opened up for the ACPI troubles. ATI WILL eventually get a driver that'll work with the newer versions of X. Someone will fix the USB port drivers (well, or not- and I'll get a new CD reader)
    With Linux, it's no MacBook Pro killer, yet. With some work, it might well be.

Did I mention it's fast? I mean, it's very fast. It boots up before my Thinkpad a20m can bring up the boot splash screen for Ubuntu. It eats batteries for lunch, but the included so-called "slice" battery has a huge capacity and is good for somewhere around 4 hours, the way I work.

Anyway. I blew away Windows 7 before I even had a chance to use it- wiping the disks clean meant that I didn't get a chance to see how the fast booting included Linux worked. I just updated the BIOS (to 07) and ran. I'll be restoring everything and trying a different kind of install, perhaps dual booting with Windows 7, more likely just to keep it around for the BIOS updates.

Did I mention that it's fast?
    Last edited by jdos2; December 18th, 2009 at 09:25 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jdos2 View Post
    Ubuntu 9.10.

Before the change to X 1.6, the accelerated closed source stuff from ATI was fantastic. 3D worked extremely well.

Of course, the mid-flight update to the new version of X destroyed the ability to run the ATI driver. Now, just say that at a developer party and see how bad the finger pointing gets...

After all Ubuntu 9.10 updates current to 18 December 2009 the box is stable and useable.

For X, just use the opensource driver.
    For sound, modify the line in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf to read:
    options snd-hda-intel power_save=10 power_save_controller=N model=hp-dv5 enable_msi=1

Ethernet works fine.
    Bluetooth works fine.
    Keyboard... Well, it's not as nice as Apple's and mine has a sticky '/' key which seems to be getting better, the more I use it.
    Reading CD's with the included USB connected reader/writer is fine. WRITING them is another matter and the device fails under Ubuntu. I'm not sure if it fails under Windows, which I can't test yet. Underruns are a problem at all speeds.

The touchpad is a bother. No drivers for it yet except as a generic "mouse" type device. Annoying when typing as it is sensitive and will send the cursor somewhere unexpected and then CLICK there if one brushes it with one's thumb. There's no right-click of course. I use an Apple USB mouse and it works just fine.

Otherwise, it's a fast laptop. There's a bit of back and forth about which side the problem is on for ACPI- and it looks like it's a problem back on the Linux side, with "when" the kernel handles ACPI. Know that the latest OpenSolaris also has trouble with the exact same thing. Opensolaris won't install for a lack of a driver, too, for the RAID0 disks.
    My laptop idles with the sensors applet showing about 40c.

I don't know if "turboboost" is working. I've not tried really hard with single threaded applications to get the CPU's to bump up.

Booting from the batteries does give a much better readout (CSTATES) in powertop- which is NOT installed by default.

Overall, I'm not exactly happy with my experience so far- but I realize that the laptop is new and the experience will almost certainly improve as time goes on. Patches for the touchpad are in the works. Appropriate kernel bugs are opened up for the ACPI troubles. ATI WILL eventually get a driver that'll work with the newer versions of X. Someone will fix the USB port drivers (well, or not- and I'll get a new CD reader)
    With Linux, it's no MacBook Pro killer, yet. With some work, it might well be.

Did I mention it's fast? I mean, it's very fast. It boots up before my Thinkpad a20m can bring up the boot splash screen for Ubuntu. It eats batteries for lunch, but the included so-called "slice" battery has a huge capacity and is good for somewhere around 4 hours, the way I work.

Anyway. I blew away Windows 7 before I even had a chance to use it- wiping the disks clean meant that I didn't get a chance to see how the fast booting included Linux worked. I just updated the BIOS (to 07) and ran. I'll be restoring everything and trying a different kind of install, perhaps dual booting with Windows 7, more likely just to keep it around for the BIOS updates.

Did I mention that it's fast?
    So, just wondering what you have to say to the complaints in this thread: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operati...uad/m-p/151225
    I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I am serious considering buying this computer, so I thought I'd ask an owner first. 1) Is it a real hassle to boot up with the computer plugged in? It seems to me like the lack of C states would just be a battery killer, not necessarily an actual problem.
    2) About the mouse, you can point with it but not click? I understand that it has a right and left click but you only mentioned the left click? Can it be disabled if one chooses to use a bluetooth mouse? (Does the lack of a driver mean that one cannot disable tap-to-click)
    3) I've read that the turboboost feature doesn't work on any linux notebook, including the Asus ones. Could you possibly look at that? I'm really not interested in buying an i7 if I can't take advantage of it's most important feature ... you know. Thanks for any response.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Anybody?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Bump

Beans

Good news on the ACPI namespace read as mentioned in the HP hosted thread:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/12/20/146

Just hope it's accepted quickly.

That'll make the machine rather more functional.

I'm not avoiding answering the question about the powerboost- I really don't know if the machine is using it when called on to do so- It is so fast that very little of what I do lasts long enough to really push the machine into that kind of operation. That'll change as I change the way I work.
    The only thing I do that takes any CPU, honestly, is to do a listc of the 'sys1.' namespace on my Hercules instance and that takes... Less than a second.
    I'm going to be reloading the laptop with original software when the install disks come in that I can do patching (another firmware patch is rumored "just around the corner" and also do a more intelligent job of partitioning- just blasting everything away has had a price!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast