Thread: Buffer I/O error on device hda Logical block

Beans

Angry Buffer I/O error on device hda Logical block

I am not very computer savvy, i was given i live disk for ubuntu and tried to put it on one of my hard drives...after completing the installation (about 7 times) i kept receiving a message saying, disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter. after i got this message multiple times, it finally comes up with this message saying buffer I/O error logical boot, i am completely clueless on other forums i have read, is there any way some one could take me through this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: Buffer I/O error on device hda Logical block

Can you post some specs regarding this computer ie. model, memory, graphics card?
    It sounds like you need to specify some boot parameters from the installation options screen by pressing F6 and deleting --quiet splash from the end of the line, then adding the appropriate parameters: for example noapic nolapic.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by 4ph3x7w1n View Post
    I am not very computer savvy, i was given i live disk for ubuntu and tried to put it on one of my hard drives...after completing the installation (about 7 times) i kept receiving a message saying, disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter. after i got this message multiple times, it finally comes up with this message saying buffer I/O error logical boot, i am completely clueless on other forums i have read, is there any way some one could take me through this?
    before your computer starts press F2 or del to get into the BIOS.

within the BIOS check your boot order, i.e what disc the computer uses first to boot from.

John

Beans

Here is the order

Hdd-1
    Hdd-2
    CDROM
    Disabled

i have messed around with the order multiple times, i see many post of this type of problem, but like i said, my computer skills aren't that high so i don't understand most of what they are saying

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spiderbatdad View Post
    Can you post some specs regarding this computer ie. model, memory, graphics card?
    It sounds like you need to specify some boot parameters from the installation options screen by pressing F6 and deleting --quiet splash from the end of the line, then adding the appropriate parameters: for example noapic nolapic.
    I bought this computer off of a friend, its custom made..
    I have currently 3 harddrives (2 40gigs and a 30gig), i have a broken IDE cable, one female port works, the other is broken... i have an ATI graphics card but im not sure of the model