Page 42 of 85 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: August 2007 Desktops (Safe for work ONLY) - Please include theme details.

Re: August 2007 Desktops (Safe for work ONLY) - Please include theme details.

Window Maker in harmony with GNOME

This is my current Ubuntu 7.04 desktop, attempting to run Window Maker smoothly with the standard Ubuntu-packaged GNOME (including the desktop icons). I used gnome-color-chooser to change the color of the panels to better match the Window Maker icon tiles, and then positioned the top GNOME panel appropriately to fit with the Window Maker docks. Also, I deleted the "window list" panel that's normally at the bottom of the screen. With the Window Maker dock, you can click the application icons to raise or iconify their windows.

Themes:
    Window decorations: Standard Window Maker gradient theme, with customized colors
    GTK2: Murrina Simpleblue theme (from gnome-look.org),

Wallpaper: "Opera in space" from the unofficial Opera wallpaper forum: http://my.opera.com/community/forums...#comment730393

Programs:
    Window manager: Window Maker 0.92
    Panels: GNOME (gnome-panel), XFCE 4.4.0 (xfce4-panel)
    Desktop: GNOME (nautilus), adesklets ("Weatherforecast.py"), gdesklets ("Disk space monitor"), and gdeskcal.
    Dockapps: wmmemfree (1st and 2nd screens, right middle), wmfire (2nd screen, top right)

Initial Desktop

Desktop with some open windows

Minimal Mode (panels and desktop icons hidden in the dock)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by BOBSONATOR View Post
    Thank you,

I have been thinking, if there is enough support for my desktops, I might make a guide showing people how to tweak their GUI to look more attractive.
    that would be great! I don't really know much about it, I just change GTK and window decoration themes.
    pekWM | archlinux | Dell E5400
    CounterStream Radio

How do you dudes/dudeettes like this one?

Its basically full on Mire from gnome-look.
    Oh, wow... that's an extremely nice, dark themed desktop. Please give us some hints as to which themes you used.

I've gotta say, I absolutely love the idea of dark themes--they're a lot better on the eyes, and I think computer screens are meant to display bright text on a dark background. (Think about the computer systems in science fiction television/movies, and you'll be hard pressed to find a fictional system of the future with Mac OS-style black text on a bright background).

However--I'm always afraid to make my desktop dark, because it seems to work well with certain applications but clash terribly with others. In today's current computer world, it seems like all Web and application developers assume the user has a bright background with black text. For example, try opening a web browser, and the dark theme will probably not stand so well against most of the web sites out there (including this one).

Anyway, it looks very cool in your shots, if you post some more you might convince me to try dark themes again. --- (And a P.S. about the Web sites clashing with dark themes... as I recall, there is a Firefox plugin on mozilla.org that lets you deal with web sites to force them to fit dark themes better, but as with many things, it requires some tweaking. And alas, some sites simply can't be dealt with because they have hardcoded colors instead of style sheets, or they're using images with white backgrounds instead of transparency)

Beans

Thank you,

I have been thinking, if there is enough support for my desktops, I might make a guide showing people how to tweak their GUI to look more attractive.
    oo do you know how to change the tray icons to look like the mac style icons? btw, you should just make the tutorial. it's good to have it around in case anyone is curious.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Smile Re: August 2007 Desktops (Safe for work ONLY) - Please include theme details.

Here's my August MacBook desktop...

Registered Linux User #438830 | Registered Ubuntu User #10897

Beans

After a long time i changed my Fluxbox again
    i attached the screenshots

FLUXBOX
    Terminal system monitor - Htop (alternative to top an dmuch better)
    xcompmgr + transset for transparency
    simdock from getdeb website
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by @vijay@ View Post
    After a long time i changed my Fluxbox again
    i attached the screenshots

FLUXBOX
    Terminal system monitor - Htop (alternative to top an dmuch better)
    xcompmgr + transset for transparency
    simdock from getdeb website
    How'd you get simdock so transparent like that? Mine just wants to use a background image.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by picpak View Post
    How'd you get simdock so transparent like that? Mine just wants to use a background image.
    select the wallpaper as the background

simdock -b wallpaper.png

Beans

what is the bellow thing in this screenshot?/////
    http://fvwm.org/screenshots/desktops...screenshot.jpg

and

what is the left corner app in the attached image?????
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Quillz View Post
    Here's my August MacBook desktop...

Where did you get that desktop picture? I saw it a really long time ago on KDE-Look and I've been looking for it for a while

Page 42 of 85 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast