Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with 2 servers i got

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What to do with 2 servers i got

Hi,

I just got my hands on 2 rack mount servers. I plan to set them up as network storage for my current "home" server which server up media files and the such, (which i have to fix as it doesn't want to boot now so i was wondering if there is any good uses i could do with two servers i have.

Once i get them all sorted they will have 32gb of ram, 2 i think dual cores (could be quad) at about 2.3ghz and about 100gb of storage to donate to other than storing my media files.

My initial thoughts were running multiple web servers and lease them out to people. I also though about running game servers such a minecraft probably tekkit or a source engine server like cs or tf2 or some other games.

If you need any info just ask

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro

Re: What to do with 2 servers i got

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

With that kind of bandwidth, the functions will probably be for personal use only.

Game server would be fine over a home network, but not over the Internet.

Beans
    Distro

I'm new to enterprise servers so i dont know what u mean by bandwith

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by eriktheblu View Post
    With that kind of bandwidth, the functions will probably be for personal use only.

Game server would be fine over a home network, but not over the Internet.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by ads2996 View Post
    I'm new to enterprise servers so i dont know what u mean by bandwith
    Internet speed - shows you only have 1M dow and 0.37M up

Generally for internet servers, it is the upload speed that is more important - with 0.37M there are not a lot of things you can do.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro

I used to run a tekkit server off a laptop with those speeds and it seemed fine with those speeds. My main probelm was just my crappy laptop i think

Beans
    Distro

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/sit...tte.cachetoken

this is the server, im not sure which porcessor, but i plan to install 32gb of ram in each

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Be sure to clean them out and reseat everything. It's also a good idea to replace the paste with a quality ceramic or silver paste under the heat sinks. The power supplies tend to blow on older servers (bad capacitors), so it's usually wise to replace them or keep a back up handy. If your servers have double power supplies, pull one and keep it as a spare. No need to burn extra watts. You will find that these older servers will burn some power (200-300 watts) depending on how heavily populated. Running them 24/7 will cost you. You might want to measure the wattage with a kill-a-watt meter. Quite a lot compared to 5 watts for a RaspberryPi.

I use one of my PowerEdge 1750 servers as a web/drupal server and the other as a development machine. It sleeps and I use wake-on-lan when I need to do some hacking. Each machine runs 218 watts at idle and 260 watts when 4 cores are jamming. I've only got 8 GB in each.

Proliants are decent machines. You should get several more years out of them.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

they both have 2 875W power supplies, i do plan on getting a kill-a-watt, its just trying to find a reliable one that work with UK plugs, so i don't get false readings. The drives that are in them were just pulled fro other servers so that it had max storage. So everything will need to be formatted and re installed. I cant decide between Ubuntu server or a windows server probably 2012, i would like windows server, because then i could run a team foundation server, as well as to render videos from after effects. On ebay i have looked at 300W power supplies but i have no idea how much power these machines actually need.

What do u mean by a development server? Thanks for replying

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you have Drupal7 running your website and then Drupal8 comes out, how do you test it? Having a second machine allows you to migrate your website and test it before going live. Of course you can set up virtual machines and do the same if you only have one physical server. Or you can set up one with Windows Server and the other with Ubuntu/linux server, or you can play with Xen and set one with several virtual machines and leave the other as bare metal so you can play with cloud services.

When you measure the power consumption and cost of that power, you will start looking at low-power servers.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast