Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Take ownership of a drive

Beans

Re: Take ownership of a drive

Quote Originally Posted by redmk2 View Post
    You can set the ownership at mount time only. If you want to be able to change ownership then you need to format the partitions as ext4 or some such file system that allows the -- user:groupthers -- format. NTFS and VFAT do not.
    Then i guess i will work on formatting the drives. I really appreciate your help. I'm not an advanced user.
    PC Specs: Asus P6X58D Premium - Intel Core i7 930 - XFX Radeon 5750 HD Video Card - 12gb DDR3 Corsair XMS3 - (internal)750gb WD 6.0gbps - 1tb WD Green Caviar - NZXT Tempest Case - Dell 24" 1080p HD Monitor - Dell Stereo Soundbar.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by TimEnid View Post
    Then i guess i will work on formatting the drives. I really appreciate your help. I'm not an advanced user.
    STOP!!!!

Do you really need to change the ownership? What are the permissions after the last fstab change. Show me again
    Code:
    ls -l /media/tim/Home

Beans

STOP!!!!

Do you really need to change the ownership? What are the permissions after the last fstab change. Show me again
    Code:
    ls -l /media/tim/Home
    Code:
    tim@tim:~$ sudo ls -l /media/tim/Home
    [sudo] password for tim: 
    total 304
    d-------w- 1 tim tim      0 Feb 19  2013 DCIM
    d-------w- 1 tim tim   4096 May 25 20:51 Documents
    d-------w- 1 tim tim 294912 Aug 27 19:29 Music
    d-------w- 1 tim tim      0 Feb 18  2012 PDF
    d-------w- 1 tim tim  12288 Jul 21 20:11 Pictures
    d-------w- 1 tim tim      0 Oct  2  2011 $RECYCLE.BIN
    d-------w- 1 tim tim      0 May 25 20:02 Videos
    PC Specs: Asus P6X58D Premium - Intel Core i7 930 - XFX Radeon 5750 HD Video Card - 12gb DDR3 Corsair XMS3 - (internal)750gb WD 6.0gbps - 1tb WD Green Caviar - NZXT Tempest Case - Dell 24" 1080p HD Monitor - Dell Stereo Soundbar.

Beans

Now, when i click on that drive, i get a message saying i do not have the permission necessary to view the contents of "HOME".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by TimEnid View Post
    Now, when i click on that drive, i get a message saying i do not have the permission necessary to view the contents of "HOME".
    It's easy to go back to the original. You just add this line back in
    Code:
    /dev/sda1 /media/tim/Home ntfs defaults 0 0
    ...and comment out the line we are having trouble with. Like this
    Code:
    ## UUID="F2ACF216ACF1D557" /media/tim/Home ntfs-3g rw,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=664,dmask=775	   0      0
    See the red hashes?

Beans

It's easy to go back to the original. You just add this line back in
    Code:
    /dev/sda1 /media/tim/Home ntfs defaults 0 0
    ...and comment out the line we are having trouble with. Like this
    Code:
    ## UUID="F2ACF216ACF1D557" /media/tim/Home ntfs-3g rw,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=664,dmask=775       0      0
    See the red hashes?
    That worked. thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Change the permissions of dmask and fmask to fmask=137,dmask=027, `000` would give R-W-X
    UUID=F2ACF216ACF1D557 /media/tim/Home ntfs-3g rw,auto,user,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=137,dmask=027 0 2
    Your first step, learn the command line man intro man man man bash

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Humm, mounting to a specif mount point, using fstab to set permissions (which could have just been done on a different mount point). Sounds suspiciously like what I stated to begin with......

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    Humm, mounting to a specif mount point, using fstab to set permissions (which could have just been done on a different mount point). Sounds suspiciously like what I stated to begin with......
    The mounting to a specific mount point using fstab is not in question. The devil is in the details. Your statement is incorrect when you state "As far as I know, ALL file systems are owned by root.". That and lack of mentioning why the OP could not use chmod and chown on NTFS partitions were the 2 points I was making.

You (as root) can make mount points where ever you want in the file system. You can provide any owner to the mount point as long as you also provide at least read and execute (r-X) to the users "others" on the mount point. That way the all users will have access to that directory (mount point). On the other hand, if you don't specify the owner (UID/GID) and the explicit umask (fmask and dmask) when mounting an NTFS partition you may not have ownership and permissions as you expect them to be and you can't change them on the fly with chmod and chown.

Beans

I hope no one minds my usual interjection of comic relief but what further complicates this discussion is the unfortunate choice of /media/tim/moutpoint for the mountpoint location.

Look at the permissions of /media/tim ( remember this is Ubuntu 13.04 ) - and don't do it with a "ls -dl /media/tim" you will get the wrong answer, do it this way:
    Code:
    getfacl -t /media/tim
    Only "tim" has access to that directory meaning only "tim" will have access to anything beyond it - doesn't matter what permissions are on the mount point itself.

Irrelevant side note at this point
    : this line in fstab did exactly what you told it to do:
    UUID="0E48C80248C7E715" /media/tim/Home ntfs-3g rw,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=664,dmask=775 0 0
    umask, fmask, dmask represent permissions that you want removed from the mounted partition - not the permissions you want it to have. A newborn ntfs partition has all permissions set to 777 for both files and folders so what you told it to do is mount with folder permissions of:

777 - 775 = 002

You will have a directory that has no permissions at all for user and group and this odd write permissions for others which is what you ended up with.
    Last edited by Morbius1; August 31st, 2013 at 01:48 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast