Thread: Ambiance theme, broken aesthetics...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Lightbulb Ambiance theme, broken aesthetics...

Unity is clearly improving by leaps and bounds, yet , I find the aesthetics of the default theme are broken and quite bad...

ambiance seems to get the tonality of the grey upper bar right but why is it used only on the upper bars and not the entire window??

Shouldn't ambiance be a dark theme to give ubuntu that professional look present in premiere/final cutx etc... ?

I ask he devs to make ambiance dark like so:

http://gnome-look.org/CONTENT/content-pre3/154296-3.png
    http://gnome-look.org/CONTENT/content-pre2/148398-2.png

and radiance should be the one that is white.
    Last edited by nomenkultur; December 24th, 2012 at 04:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Ambiance theme, broken aesthetics...

I too like the Flat Studio Dark theme, the problem is aesthetics is a matter of opinion. There will be a new icon set and possibly a theme. http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/10/c...buntu-icon-set

AFIK the developers don't browse the forum looking for suggestions. The Ambiance theme though I don't use it often seems to work fine and there are a number of variations @ Gnome Look .

Most of the default themes on the Linux desktops I have used are not spectacular in my opinion but there are plenty options available.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

There is another point that I think people forget - Community.

There is a place for community developers to add improvements of their own design. If Canonical did everything then what place would there be for others in the community to add to Ubuntu.

Also, I was reading a link to a blog the other day where a theme designer was complaining that every time he modified his theme to work with Gnome 3 the next development of Gnome 3 broke the theme.

People say, an update broke this or that. What would the situation be like if we had themes from the community available by default that kept getting broken every time Ubuntu brought in the next update to Gnome 3?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

I had red the same, that they would have new icons and an improved theme for ubuntu 13.04...

hence why I wanted to make this thread.

Using community themes, like the ones from gnome look, is a pain... most require activating exterior ppa's and then using a third party program to activate them, etc... not to mention the fact that they are made for gnome and require tweaking to work on unity. I would say 94% of users use the default theme.

Now if I right click my desktop in ubuntu 13.04 I get a beautiful look dark grey menu... but if I do it in the file browser I get a white one.

There is a lack of consistency that severely affects the aesthetics of unity.

The ambiance theme should be dark grey and not just the top status bar and borders, everything should be dark grey from the drop down menus to the interior of windows... like adobe premiere if you will.

the radiance theme should be white for people who don't like dark grey menus.

As it stands the only thing that changes when you switch between ambiance and radiance is the color of the top status bar and some top borders.... you can hardly call this a 'theme' for Gods sake.

So here's my request for a dark grey ambiance theme

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eEsXkoDJeD...ght-ubuntu.png