Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Utilise the svn MPlayer to Improve Karmic Koala's 'mplayer-nogui' Package

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Howto: Utilise the svn MPlayer to Improve Karmic Koala's 'mplayer-nogui' Package

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    and MPlayer does not support playing a DVD directly from an ISO,
    mplayer can play a dvd from an ISO.

and has also very poor support for some MKV features like subchapters (though on this, both are quite poor and don't support the most advanced of them, like ordered chaptering and editions).
    The multi-threaded version of (the one that can be downloaded from the git repo) has support for ordered chapters in mkv.
    Developer of SMPlayer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Howto: Utilise the svn MPlayer to Improve Karmic Koala's 'mplayer-nogui' Package

Why would you want to install the same version "later"? By defnition, it will be outdated.
    It might be that I want to install several Ubuntu/Kubuntu installations over a short period of time, or something could go wrong and I need to reinstall my system (you see, I'm still experimenting with Linux), thus it would be much easier to have a deb or any install package to double click from all these commands.

Of course, when I'm about to install 10.04, or if I should get any problems with mplayer that need an update, I could always redo these steps.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rvm4000 View Post
    The multi-threaded version of (the one that can be downloaded from the git repo) has support for ordered chapters in mkv.
    GIT repo? I thought MPlayer used SVN. O.o If there's an unofficial GIT somewhere, well, it's unofficial.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

It's unofficial but it was mentioned in the mplayer web site. Now I see they updated the page and the git repo is not mentioned anymore, now they point to this link http://just.mooo.com/mplayer-svn-mt.tar.bz2
    Developer of SMPlayer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am not exactly sure what I did to get mplayer working.. Basically, I did not know that non-gui mplayer came along with Karmic. I installed mplayer first from Ubuntu Software Centre. Then I ran the command apt-get install mplayer. It would be better if I first remove mplayer completely and then use this:
    Howto: Utilise the svn MPlayer to Improve Karmic Koala's 'mplayer-nogui' Package
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305181

How should I completely remove mplayer from my system?

Beans

Hi iRounak,

Quote Originally Posted by iRounak View Post
    It would be better if I first remove mplayer completely and then use this:
    Howto: Utilise the svn MPlayer to Improve Karmic Koala's 'mplayer-nogui' Package
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305181

How should I completely remove mplayer from my system?
    We meet again . Probably the easiest way is to simply open up synaptic and search for MPlayer and remove or keep as you deem suitable. My own Karmic setup is the mplayer-nogui package created in this guide and SMPlayer from rvm's PPA and this has been sufficient for my needs under Ubuntu. But there are certainly alternatives, rvm maintains a PPA for MPlayer as well which will produce a much more polished packaging of MPlayer and of course the repository MPlayer is a little better than previous Ubuntu offerings. And then there is vlc, CoreAVC, mplayer-mt, lots of choice...

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Many thanks again, Andrew. I think at this moment I will keep everything as it is since the movie files are playing in Smplayer. Once I get a proper understanding of repositories, synaptic, ppa, rvm etc, I will try to clean my mess and do a fresh install of mplayer.

Beans

Hi iRounak,

Quote Originally Posted by iRounak View Post
    Many thanks again, Andrew. I think at this moment I will keep everything as it is since the movie files are playing in Smplayer. Once I get a proper understanding of repositories, synaptic, ppa, rvm etc, I will try to clean my mess and do a fresh install of mplayer.
    Sounds like a great plan. These resources for the most part will always be here in one form or the other, although I should perhaps point out that rvm is a person rather than a resource .

All the best,

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have one question:

As I've been into earlier regarding the deb package that gets created after this process; if I want to install this jumbo mplayer package on another computer, can I just use this deb package on the other computer, without needing to run any commands that I've already run?

Beans

Hi viking,

Quote Originally Posted by viking_maniac View Post
    As I've been into earlier regarding the deb package that gets created after this process; if I want to install this jumbo mplayer package on another computer, can I just use this deb package on the other computer, without needing to run any commands that I've already run?
    Unfortunately no. The deb package produced by checkinstall is a little primitive and not suited to this purpose. To create such a package you would need to look into creating a formal package and for this most would look at modifying the files in the debian/ section of the source code. Unfortunately I have no experience in the creation of such packages, perhaps others on this thread can guide you?

Andrew

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast