Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the future for Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What is the future for Ubuntu?

I'am wondering, what does Canonical think the future for Ubuntu is?

What are they putting their focus on, what path are they going or planning on going.

Anyone know?

Thanks on advance.
    Kind regards.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What is the future for Ubuntu?

You can see current and future releases list for Ubuntu here: Ubuntu wiki: Releases
    I haven't found an official place to see what the plans for the next release are: there is Ubuntu Planet where some plans may appear as they are shaped, but not all of them.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Drenriza View Post
    I'am wondering, what does Canonical think the future for Ubuntu is?
    Maybe slightly cynical here, but:

A few years ago, Canonical thought the future for Ubuntu was on desktop computers and enterprise.

Then, it was on netbooks.

Then, mobile phones as a kind of parasitic operating system that ran when the phone was docked into a monitor and keyboard.

Then, Ubuntu's future was in smart TVs. Briefly. And also briefly in tablets.

Now, Canonical thinks Ubuntu's future is as the main operating system on a line of mobile phones. They've failed to identify who would want to buy an Ubuntu mobile phone over an Android mobile, except to say that people upgrading from feature phones would like it. Of course, as the market for feature phones dries up, Ubuntu's target market also does too, making Ubuntu Phone's business case rather flimsy.

Not to mention, Canonical hasn't told developers why they should write programs for Ubuntu Phone.

They're also saying that there's an app store, and then no app store; you need to write your applications in HTML, and then you need to write them in QML because HTML is too restrictive. If Canonical's business case for developers is "You can easily port your Ubuntu programs to Ubuntu Phone", then that statement doesn't hold a lot of water because few Ubuntu programs are written in QML, and Canonical seems undecided about whether QML, HTML or indeed no additional programs at all is the future for Ubuntu Phone.

Next year, or maybe before the end of the year, the Ubuntu Phone project will be put on the backburner with one or two developers, and Canonical will decide that something else is the future of Ubuntu.

A bit harsh? Maybe. I'm annoyed; I'd love an Ubuntu tablet or an Ubuntu phone, especially one I can dock to turn into a full-featured computer, but the tablet and phone will probably never come into fruition at this rate. Even if the phone became a reality, it seems like I'd be better off with an upgraded Android as the Ubuntu Phone will be a total failure, unless Canonical can identify a target market and Unique Selling Point of the phone. A "killer feature".
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

you make it sound like they are shifting focus.....then, then, then.

they are trying to run a viable business and adapting, but they aren't shifting focus. they have had these ideas in the making for years. Desktop is still a major focus for them.

as far as the future? they have an uphill battle against the big players. I am rooting for Ubuntu.
    Last edited by smellyman; February 5th, 2013 at 01:30 PM.

Beans

With Microsoft part of Michael Dell's imminent bid to buy out Dell from its shareholders, we can kiss goodbye to stuff like the XPS 13 Developer Edition.

This makes me worried for Ubuntu's future. Not so much because of the XPS13 but because Dell has been a major partner for Canonical. Of course, officially that's all still "active" but with MS poised to pump $3 billion into Dell it's hard to see how the alignment with Canonical and support for Ubuntu can continue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by iamkuriouspurpleoranj View Post
    With Microsoft part of Michael Dell's imminent bid to buy out Dell from its shareholders, we can kiss goodbye to stuff like the XPS 13 Developer Edition.

This makes me worried for Ubuntu's future. Not so much because of the XPS13 but because Dell has been a major partner for Canonical. Of course, officially that's all still "active" but with MS poised to pump $3 billion into Dell it's hard to see how the alignment with Canonical and support for Ubuntu can continue.
    I could see Dell/Microsoft pretending to support Ubuntu. Try to use it as a "See? We're not really a monopoly that crushes all competition" sort of defense. Sort of like feeding an inmate 10 calories/day more than necessary to prevent death by starvation but keep him weak enough to never pose a threat. Such behavior is not unprecedented, Microsoft invested in Apple and Corel when their prospects were bleak. Though Apple has recovered rather nicely, better than Microsoft would have likely preferred.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thumbs down Re: What is the future for Ubuntu?

Amazon OS

use Kubuntu instead

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Maybe slightly cynical here, but:

A few years ago, Canonical thought the future for Ubuntu was on desktop computers and enterprise.

Then, it was on netbooks.

Then, mobile phones as a kind of parasitic operating system that ran when the phone was docked into a monitor and keyboard.

Then, Ubuntu's future was in smart TVs. Briefly. And also briefly in tablets.

Now, Canonical thinks Ubuntu's future is as the main operating system on a line of mobile phones. They've failed to identify who would want to buy an Ubuntu mobile phone over an Android mobile, except to say that people upgrading from feature phones would like it. Of course, as the market for feature phones dries up, Ubuntu's target market also does too, making Ubuntu Phone's business case rather flimsy.
    I hate to say it, but I kind of agree with you. In the beginning I really had hopes that Canonical was serious when they touted Ubuntu as "Linux for human beings". I really wanted to see a distro that "just worked", so I could finally recommend Linux to my non-techno-geek friends, family, and co-workers. After all, lets be honest, the majority of computer users will give a new OS one chance for everything to work out-of-the-box. If it doesn't work, efficiently and easily, then the installation CD goes right to the trash and they go back to Winblows.

Whatever happened to the old Linux addage "Do one thing and do it well." I think Ubuntu is trying too hard to make their distro a one-size fits all solution.

I do love Ubuntu, but I really think they would be better served by focusing on refining their OS in future releases, rather than always trying to add new bells and whistles.
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.
    -Thinkpad T500: KDE-Ubuntu 13.10 & Windows 7 dual boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I don't really think Canonical have a choice about whether they do tablets and phones. To simply focus on desktop would be slo-mo suicide. Not only is the desktop slice of the computing pie shrinking at the moment, Linux just hasn't ever made any headway, even when refactored for the "average" user. Desktop Linux will continue to be a tiny niche, and there's no money to be made there. Canonical either target the emerging markets (smart phones, tablets, smart TVs, etc) where market share is still up for grabs or they go bust. Simple.

However, I do agree that their approach doesn't seem focussed. They're not a big enough company to try and do everything, I think their "ecosystem" approach is a bit too ambitious and runs a serious risk of producing some half-baked products. Better to focus on just one thing (my vote would be Ubuntu for Android) and do that well. I can't see the Ubuntu phone OS itself being anything other than a distraction.
    Last edited by Paqman; February 5th, 2013 at 09:56 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast