Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 LastLast

Thread: Account Lease time / Content filtering

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Account Lease time / Content filtering

For your information. I installed Natty 64bit desktop on a Virtual machine, and added your repo, installed fine, no problems. I setup a test user, and tested them it kicked them off after 30min alloted time, and wouldn't let them log back on. I will test outside of the specified time tomorrow. I'm pleased over all.

Shane

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have now copied timekpr into the Natty series in the timekpr-maintainers PPA. It should be available in a few moments. I have tested everything in a 32bit VM. It works! I have not done excessive testing, so it might break...
    Open mind, open source!
    Keep control of computer usage with timekpr
    Screensaver for Amarok? AmarokScreenSaver
    My (Norwegian) blog about motorcycles and MotoGP

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Timekpr looks great, so I'm disappointed to learn that you've decided to stop developing it.

I tried Gnome Nanny (on Mint 10 = Ubuntu 10.10), but it doesn't work very well. It will block ports on a schedule, but it won't kick a user out of a login session, nor will it block a user from logging in. It's problematic even as a simple web blocker, because it doesn't have an informative tray icon--so you can waste time troubleshooting what appears to be a broken network connection if you forget that Nanny, with its never-changing icon, might be doing something in the background.

My use-case is self-control, not parental-control, and unfortunately it looks like timekpr isn't set up for this: my (admin) username does not appear as an option in the configuration menu. So that would be my feature request, if you were still developing the software. I might be interested in helping out, if you change your mind. I have little experience, but (like everyone else?) I'd like to learn Python.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by sweetleaf View Post
    Timekpr looks great, so I'm disappointed to learn that you've decided to stop developing it.

My use-case is self-control, not parental-control, and unfortunately it looks like timekpr isn't set up for this: my (admin) username does not appear as an option in the configuration menu. So that would be my feature request, if you were still developing the software. I might be interested in helping out, if you change your mind. I have little experience, but (like everyone else?) I'd like to learn Python.
    Why not create a second account that is non-adminstrative. That way you benefit from the functionality of timekpr. I think it has been designed not to block the admin user, otherwise they may get locked out and unable to get back in.
    'I am writing to you, knowing that you will do even more than I ask.'

Beans
    Distro

Ok, I clean installed Natty on my laptop (kids machine) and it got some testing today, it worked fine. I disabled the Unity desktop that comes default with 11.04, and went with the Ubuntu Classic desktop. Unity changed the way that notifications are set up or something, at any rate, I don't think the notification icon will show up if you use the unity desktop, that is a side note, if someone who wanted to learn python, wanted to dive into that and figure out the desktop notification thing that would be great. If not, we will have to wait until a developer can get a hold of this project and upgrade that. It is a rock solid app that just runs great. I have used it for years, and literally don't know what I would do without it.

Shane

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

this is the first time I looked into parental controls for ubuntu. I don't understand why it is not included with the distro. I do think the parental controls should be turned off by default, but it would be nice to have the option to configure a user for content filtering and time and apps filtering and limits.

I did not read through this whole thread. but is their a easy gui way of having a content filtering on ubuntu?
    Why not donate your unused computer time to World Community Grid.
    It's simple, secure, and you can contribute for free.
    http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/home.do

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hunterkasy View Post
    this is the first time I looked into parental controls for ubuntu. I don't understand why it is not included with the distro. I do think the parental controls should be turned off by default, but it would be nice to have the option to configure a user for content filtering and time and apps filtering and limits.

I did not read through this whole thread. but is their a easy gui way of having a content filtering on ubuntu?
    You can have a look here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=843510

Shane

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Onesimus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetleaf View Post
    My use-case is self-control, not parental-control, and unfortunately it looks like timekpr isn't set up for this
    Why not create a second account that is non-adminstrative. That way you benefit from the functionality of timekpr.
    Hmm. It's a rare day when I don't use sudo for something. How much of a hassle is it for a non-admin user to accomplish admin tasks, if he knows an admin password? Is it just a matter of su'ing to the admin account before invoking sudo?

I think it has been designed not to block the admin user, otherwise they may get locked out and unable to get back in.
    It's an odd game, trying to use the computer to enforce self-control. Workrave has a "daily limit" control that could be helpful, but in practice I find it's too easy to disable or kill it. I imagine I might do the same with timekpr, as long as I could kill it using an admin password. I want the best of both worlds: total control over the processes running on my system, except for one timekpr/workrave/nanny type of process that locks up the system during certain hours or after too much time. There may not be any easy and safe way to achieve this.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Account Lease time / Content filtering - Timekpr not logging out.

After some searching I've just come across timekeepr, and it would seem on the face of it to meet my needs, that is, restricting my son's daily time logged in at the computer, and limiting him to certain hours.

However, whilst setting it up, I've discovered that it doesn't log his account out. If I have Ubuntu logged in under his account, the time runs out but everything just keeps trucking along until I log out the account myself, at which point it is locked.

Have I missed something out? I thought the whole point was to kick the user off when his/her time was up!

Beans
    Distro

Actually it should indeed log him/her out. That is the whole point of this application. I have used it for years and it is a great application. Please go over the settings again as it may be something was over looked when you setup the account. What desktop are you on? I switched over to Kubuntu and it works with KDE. I'm not sure about the new Unity desktop as I never did like it. However with Gnome it worked for years, perhaps with the newer Gnome it has problems? Not sure.

Shane

Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 LastLast