Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Wireless Wifi Link 5100 on Hardy

Beans

Re: Intel Wireless Wifi Link 5100 on Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by eric3_14159 View Post
    I have an Asus g50v with those two. I haven't been able to get the wifi to work, in a 2.6.27-rc4 kernel. Could you send me your .config file for the kernel you compiled? Thanks.
    I'll check if I still have it later when I have my laptop available. If I still have it, it is fairly "vanilla" but a few things to get it working.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolframarnold View Post
    Edit the config.mk file and add the following lines at the end to turn on support for the 5100 card and also for the rfkill switch:
    Code:
    CONFIG_IWL5000=y
    CONFIG_IWLWIFI_RFKILL=y
    Do you know if there are more config options for the compat-wireless? Is it the same as in the kernel compile config?

Hopeing to go back to the official kernel, or try out Fedora 10 or OpenSUSE 11.1 when they hit beta. (Since they use the 2.6.27 kernel). Hope they settle for 2.6.27 in the Intrepid release.

This will add support for the 5100 card to the iwl4965 kernel module. This is probably temporary and from what I read the 2.6.26 kernels already have an iwl5000 module...
    Not so sure it made it to the 2.6.26 kernel, could not see any option for the iwl5000 when I tried to do a compile of the 2.6.26 kernel.
    Last edited by KimOlsen; August 27th, 2008 at 10:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have recently installed Ubuntu Hardy on a new HP DV5-1056tx laptop and am also having problems with the Intel wireless wifi link 5100 card install (although I appear to be having no problems with the nVidia 9600gt video card).

Unfortunately, the majority of what was said in this thread, and at, http://intellinuxwireless.org/?n=Info, went straight over my head, this being my first foray into linux usage. Looks like it will be back to using Vista for me until I can figure it all out :s

Beans

Here is my .config file for my 2.6.27-rc2
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well I decided to give Wolframarnolds suggestions ago. It's been a massively steep learning curve (which resulted in me having to reinstall Ubuntu because I changed the permissions on the /usr directory), but I think I've gotten something now. However, I'm stuck somewhere around these steps here;

[*]Download the firmware iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.A.11.tar.gz[*]
    Code:
    tar xzf iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.A.11.tar.gz
    sudo cp iwlwifi-5000-1.ucode /lib/firmware/2.6.24-19-generic/
    [*]
    Code:
    make
    make install
    make load
    I've downloaded the above file fine but then I got a little confused, at first I just downloaded it to the desktop and then tried moving it into the /usr/src directory, I have no idea if it matters where it is. I managed to copy the ucode file into the stated directory, although I just extracted the file on the desktop and copied it from there, not sure if that's ok or not.

When I try to use the "make" command I get the error message "*** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop." I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be in a directory or something, I've tried a few different targets doesn't seem to be working.

So I suppose my question is where should the iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.A.11.tar.gz file be saved (or does it not matter)? and what directory (or anything else) should I be in to execute the make command?

Thanks for any help, this is all very new and different to me, (but I'm trying )

Persida.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by KimOlsen View Post
    Here is my .config file for my 2.6.27-rc2

Yes, but does 2.6.27 actually work with the 5100?
    What happens when you toggle the RF kill switch?
    (this even breaks the Vista x64 driver...and only a power-cycle fixes it)

On 2.6.24-21 (with the compat iwl4965 module and the 5100 microcode) I can't get past that network disabled business.

That worked perfectly for one session only. As soon as I rebooted, it was dead and no tweaking or nudging will wake the thing up.

I'm considering getting a wireless express card with a proven stability record.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Intel Wireless Wifi Link 5100 on Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Giblet5 View Post
    What happens when you toggle the RF kill switch?
    I compiled a 2.6.27-rc4 kernel from stock sources. And I have still no wireless on my Compal JHL90 The problem is still the same, the device is somehow magically deactivated; I've tried it with and without the wired connection plugged in. I still think it's something to do with the hardware or software RF Kill Switch, but I've run out of things to try. I'm strongly considering returning the laptop; it seems to be a bit too cutting edge for its own good.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Persida View Post
    Well I decided to give Wolframarnolds suggestions ago. It's been a massively steep learning curve (which resulted in me having to reinstall Ubuntu because I changed the permissions on the /usr directory), but I think I've gotten something now. However, I'm stuck somewhere around these steps here;
    Sorry, man, I didn't spell out the background that I was assuming. Once you do "sudo su" you're super user and all files created become owned by root. You can change file owner ship with "chown" and file permissions with "chmod". Ask some Unix guru you know about the details for what you're trying to do.

I've downloaded the above file fine but then I got a little confused, at first I just downloaded it to the desktop and then tried moving it into the /usr/src directory, I have no idea if it matters where it is. I managed to copy the ucode file into the stated directory, although I just extracted the file on the desktop and copied it from there, not sure if that's ok or not.
    The extraction location doesn't matter; only where you copy it to.

When I try to use the "make" command I get the error message "*** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop." I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be in a directory or something, I've tried a few different targets doesn't seem to be working.
    Yes, you need to "cd" to the compat... source directory. Get someone with a bit of Unix background to help you.

So I suppose my question is where should the iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.A.11.tar.gz file be saved (or does it not matter)? and what directory (or anything else) should I be in to execute the make command?
    Doesn't really matter, all that matters is where you copy to extracted file to, see instructions.

Good luck!

Beans

Do you know if there are more config options for the compat-wireless? Is it the same as in the kernel compile config?
    I'm not sure they are the same as in kernel config, but it's probably a safe guess. I discovered these options by browsing some of the obvious header files (the ones named with 5000 or rfkill). Software engineering is all about making educated guesses, most of the time...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Giblet5 View Post
    Answer:
    So now I have an Intel Wifi Link 5100 and Nvidia 9600m gt working.
    And the kill switch does at least seem to work. It cuts wifi, and turns off the wifi led, and on again when I press it again.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast