Page 4 of 121 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Wubi megathread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wubi megathread

Quote Originally Posted by domoappo View Post
    I can still run Vista, but is there any way I can get my pictures?
    If you can boot to a LiveCD you should be able to mount "root.disk" and thus gain access to all your Wubi files. Look at the first post and use the commands to make mount points, mount windows and then root,disk.

Once mounted per the instructions, the files will be found under /mnt.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

awesome post mate , great help , followed to the letter and worked like a charm
    many thanks for your help Rubi1200

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Wubi megathread - grub prompt boot

Here are the instructions on how to boot Wubi from the grub prompt. Note these instructions are not for booting from the grub rescue prompt - it may work but the presence of the rescue prompt may indicate more than just a grub.cfg problem.

If the grub.cfg file is missing or corrupted, the following can be used to attempt to boot into Wubi. If successful, the user will then need to determine the problem and fix it. If the problem is with grub.cfg, running "sudo update-grub" should recreate it.

Areas in bold must be changed to your system's Windows partition (X,Y and sda1). To boot Wubi from the grub prompt:
    Code:
    insmod ntfs
    set root=(hdX,Y)  # Your Windows partition. Example: set root=(hd0,1)
    loopback (loop0) /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
    set root=(loop0)
    linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro
    initrd /initrd.img
    boot
    Last edited by drs305; December 22nd, 2010 at 07:14 PM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by moo2ah View Post
    awesome post mate , great help , followed to the letter and worked like a charm
    many thanks for your help Rubi1200
    You are more than welcome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I was linked here because I am having a trouble with ubuntu being listed at boot even after I've uninstalled it. It was a 10.04 wubi install inside windows.

Here is what I see upon boot

And this is what I see when I click on Ubuntu

I'd like to install Ubuntu side by side (?) with dedicated partition rather than within windows but for some reason, the issue above is keeping that from happening.

Any advice? I am extremely new to Linux/Ubuntu and need lots of hand holding. Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Have you tried using the windows disc to repair windows. Then if succsesful you can boot a ubuntu livecd and install it next to win
    Perseverance will succeed (usually)
    ubuntu user -32597 - linux user - 526569
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jennkhutch View Post
    I'd like to install Ubuntu side by side (?) with dedicated partition rather than within windows but for some reason, the issue above is keeping that from happening.

Any advice? I am extremely new to Linux/Ubuntu and need lots of hand holding. Thanks!
    Did you remove Ubuntu through the Add/Remove feature (or equivalent) in the Control Panel?

The menu item (at least in XP) is just a line in C:\boot.ini. You might just make a backup copy and then edit the file and remove:
    Code:
    C:\wubildr.mbr="Ubuntu"
    If you need to clean things up, you can just delete the C:\ubuntu folder and any wubi* files in C:\ if you don't have any data you need to try to save from your Wubi installation. This isn't the optimum way to remove Wubi but it will work.

Just having that option in your Windows menu shouldn't prevent you from installing Ubuntu to a partition however.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,

I was just wanting to ask about the grub update bug thing.
    In fact I have already made a thread but no one seems to be answering yet:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1651474

My question is that for this grub update bug that has been affecting Wubi Ubuntu installations, will it affect those who have Windows 7 and Ubuntu installed side-by-side, but Ubuntu is installed through the disc and the default boot-loader is Grub2?

To simplify my question, do those that have Windows 7 and Ubuntu and yet Ubuntu is not installed Wubi-style (means original disc style) face this problem?

I'd like to know that if Grub2 is the default boot-loader, then this problem would not affect you?

I understand that this is a Wubi thread, but I would like to know if you've seen any problem like this? You all surely have more experience than me.

*In fact, 55 people looked at that thread and still no answer.

Thanks in advance.
    Solved VAIO-NVIDIA related Graphics problems! Always wanted to triple-boot Windows + Mac + Ubuntu
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1470822
    http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi theasprint,
    forum member Hippytaff answered in the thread you linked to.

I would ask you to please not clog this thread with these types of questions.

To quickly answer:
    It is not a bug.

The GRUB updates that break Wubi installs have nothing to do with a regular Ubuntu install.

If you have a regular Ubuntu install and you see updates for GRUB you can happily apply them. This is not to imply there will never be an issue, but not the same type for sure.

The updates only affect Wubi and in the first post of this thread you will find launchpad bug reports that offer a more technical view of the issue.

Thanks for understanding.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jennkhutch View Post
    I was linked here because I am having a trouble with ubuntu being listed at boot even after I've uninstalled it. It was a 10.04 wubi install inside windows.
    Since you are using Windows 7, you probably need to learn how to use bcdedit to remove that entry, or try easyBCD. And don't click on it in the meantime

Page 4 of 121 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast