Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ununtu Repositories for 11.10 PPC

Beans

Ununtu Repositories for 11.10 PPC

Hello,

I am trying to do an install of Ubuntu 11.10 for Power PC from the CD I created off the .iso file. I did a topic search but nothing seems to come up... or nothing that is in "plain English" for a novice like myself. I'm looking to learn here.

I have hit a "wall" of a sort and can't seem to find a current post to deal with this?

Does anyone know the current repositories for Ubuntu 11.10 so I can set my system to download and update? Also if someone could share the "sudo" commands or command line commands for this I would very much appreciate it.

Also is there a place, like a website that frequently updates changes in the URLs for these repositories when the old ones go bad or don't exist anymore?

Thanks,
    MacPenguin

P.S. -- Sorry, that's UBUNTU repositories, not Ununtu! lol!

2nd P.S. -- BTW- I am looking strictly for Ubuntu under the Ubuntu name. Not any variant. I don't know enough about this to make "Lubuntu" or "Xubuntu", etc. work for Ubuntu. (In my mind they are different versions- suggests to me their CODE is also different - I could be wrong but until I know more about it...) "Keep it simple" I figure. I admit again, I'm a total novice and trying to learn this stuff. Thx.
    Last edited by MacPenguin1972; November 7th, 2011 at 11:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ununtu Repositories for 11.10 PPC

Was there any problems with the install? The list of repositories is usually in /etc/apt/sources.list, and I really don't understand what wall you are talking about. Can you explain in plain English what the problem is.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    Was there any problems with the install? The list of repositories is usually in /etc/apt/sources.list, and I really don't understand what wall you are talking about. Can you explain in plain English what the problem is.
    I got some kind of error when I was installing. Apparently it was trying to download from the repositories. I got an error saying they were bad or didn't exist. So I need to know how to change my Ubuntu to "direct" it to the right link for the repositories.

Beans

Based on the error. I assume the "list" it is working from is bad. How do I get Ubuntu to get the correct list or links?

Also, how do I find and/or edit this "/etc/apt/sources.list" please? Thx.
    Last edited by MacPenguin1972; November 7th, 2011 at 11:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Can we have a look at the sources.list first.
    Last edited by mikewhatever; November 7th, 2011 at 11:51 PM.

Beans

Hey MacPenguin1972. The mirror problem has been plaguing ppc installs for the last few versions :-/ It looks like the best way to install now is to use the mini iso. I haven't done this yet but I'm bracing myself to update my G5 to 11.10 in a couple of weeks.
    rsavage seems to have the best handle on the various problems. You'd probably do well to read through this thread, read the links rsavage posts and then try again. It's what I'm going to do.
    Post back with success or failure reports. There are so few ppc users now
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1871320
    Registered Linux User #407403

Beans

Can we have a look at the sources.list first.
    First, I had to dump out of the install. I got no list- a generalized error message.

Second, I do not know how to access this list. I am asking because I do not know.

I am currently using Mac OS X. I cannot access the list because I do not know how even if I was using Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pauljwells View Post
    Hey MacPenguin1972. The mirror problem has been plaguing ppc installs for the last few versions :-/ It looks like the best way to install now is to use the mini iso. I haven't done this yet but I'm bracing myself to update my G5 to 11.10 in a couple of weeks.
    rsavage seems to have the best handle on the various problems. You'd probably do well to read through this thread, read the links rsavage posts and then try again. It's what I'm going to do.
    Post back with success or failure reports. There are so few ppc users now
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1871320

I will give this a try. Sadly the only way to boot off a Mac that I know of is via an internal hard disk or a CD/DVD ROM.

I figure if I can get this to boot off a disc I can see what happens.

(BTW- I tried exactly what the other user tried- that iso slighty larger than a CD- I burned it to a DVD and ran into the same issue)
    Last edited by MacPenguin1972; November 8th, 2011 at 06:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MacPenguin1972 View Post
    First, I had to dump out of the install. I got no list- a generalized error message.

Second, I do not know how to access this list. I am asking because I do not know.

I am currently using Mac OS X. I cannot access the list because I do not know how even if I was using Ubuntu.
    If you are in the live CD environment (does that work with the powerpc?), you can type gedit /etc/apt/sources.list in a terminal window to view the file.
    To edit, type gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list.

Having looked around, I could not find the live CD for Oneiric. The PowePC wiki suggests a minimal CD with no links to oversized ISOs.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads
    Can you post a link to the ISO you've downloaded.

Beans

If you are in the live CD environment (does that work with the powerpc?), you can type gedit /etc/apt/sources.list in a terminal window to view the file.
    To edit, type gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list.

Having looked around, I could not find the live CD for Oneiric. The PowePC wiki suggests a minimal CD with no links to oversized ISOs.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads
    Can you post a link to the ISO you've downloaded.
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

This was where I got it. But now it has version 12.

Which, I am wondering how to use the Mini iso then set the repositories so it will download the necessary installation files from the correct place.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast