Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't join Samba+Ldap Domain

Beans

Can't join Samba+Ldap Domain

Hey people,

im kind of new to Ubuntu and trying my best to get started fast. I am trying since 1 week to get my Ldap+Samba server to run as a domain.
    I finally figured it out how to configure both servers together with many diffrent tutorials.

Now im at a point where i can add easily the users and groups with smbldap-useradd for example. But i cant join the domain with my windows workstation!

My Samba shares work fine! i can see the shares on the LAN and with the samba/ldap credentials i can log me in for watch the files!

But why i cant log onto my domain?
    When i put on my windows client on the Domainfield the domain name and push okay, he ask for my Domain credentials. So he find my domain. But he wont join the domain for any reason i dont know ...

"Error on trying to join domain" (i translated it from español so im not sure how the real error sounds on english windows!)
    "the specified domain dont exist or could not seet in contact with it"

My Server:
    Ubuntu-server 12.04 LTS
    samba 3.6.3
    slapd 2.4.28-1

The main tutorials i used:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/12.10/server...ap-server.html
    https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/server...amba-ldap.html
    https://help.ubuntu.com/11.10/serverguide/samba-dc.html

Anyone can help me please. If u need any Config file or something i can give it to you!

Thanks in advance,
    Bathroth

Beans

Re: Can't join Samba+Ldap Domain

Use Windows Server it's alot more easier lol

Beans

That doesn't help .....
    you know a solution or not? and dont tell me to change to windows servers .... why ppl are doing linux huh? because its more difficult?

Beans

Well in the Windows World it's a case of clicking one button create a domain controller in the linux world it's a case of editing config files hacking bits and pieces together, tearing your hair out and praying to god that it works and when it goes wrong you either have to be a professor or a god damm genius

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Is your samba server set as DNS on the client machine? Not sure if it has anything to do when using samba as DC, but even in windows it will have problems joining a domain if the DC is not a DNS server for the client machine.

Does it prompt you for administrator password to join a domain or it doesn't even get that far?
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    Is your samba server set as DNS on the client machine? Not sure if it has anything to do when using samba as DC, but even in windows it will have problems joining a domain if the DC is not a DNS server for the client machine.

Does it prompt you for administrator password to join a domain or it doesn't even get that far?
    Yes it prompt me for the login details to join it.

Or is there anything wrong with the netBios? accepted already the option with wins support but still nothing.

Also told the client about who is the DNS and it isnt working.
    The same error ...

At the moment i made all again on a virtual mashine. Working now with 1 win7 client and 1 ubuntu server on 'net intern' for better testing.

Have any more ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

In that case investigate a little if you have the administrative user set up correctly. Unfortunately I haven't worked with domains so I don't know what to check directly. You will have to google it until someone else jumps in. Usually it will not even prompt you for the admin user if it can't find the domain, so that part seems to work fine.

It looks like it's failing when the admin user needs to join the machine to the domain.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    In that case investigate a little if you have the administrative user set up correctly. Unfortunately I haven't worked with domains so I don't know what to check directly. You will have to google it until someone else jumps in. Usually it will not even prompt you for the admin user if it can't find the domain, so that part seems to work fine.

It looks like it's failing when the admin user needs to join the machine to the domain.
    First i want thank you for helping me out.

Just now i tried also one point to watch if the ldap is available with the Ldap URL:

ldap://hostnameort

It opened a window to find persons. It seems that the server is really available.
    I guess you are right. Ill investigate and google some arround about that.

If someone else have any ideas. Im open for everything

Regards,
    Bathroth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bathroth View Post
    First i want thank you for helping me out.

Just now i tried also one point to watch if the ldap is available with the Ldap URL:

ldap://hostnameort

It opened a window to find persons. It seems that the server is really available.
    I guess you are right. Ill investigate and google some arround about that.

If someone else have any ideas. Im open for everything

Regards,
    Bathroth
    So you can connect to the domain on your virtual machine but not on physical devices? Can you ping the domain? ie. ping example.domain.com?

Beans

Ignore the windows comments I was being a idiot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast