Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Creating a Linux distro....

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Creating a Linux distro....

Quote Originally Posted by gjoellee View Post
    Hi there, me and my friend are going to try to make a new Linux ditribution which will be based on Ubuntu. We do have plans for making it available to the public if it becomes a success.

Read more about how the distro is so far here: http://kshoster.net/node/105

We wonder what you would like to have in new out-of-the-box Linux distro....

(No suggestions are stupid!)
    As much as I admire your enthusiasm, building a distro is like building a car. It can be as easy, or as hard as you want. If you are going to just take a body of a car, buy and engine that will fit, and repaint and upholster the car, that's one thing. But if you are going to buy the individual pieces of the engine, and buy bulk metal and weld it into a car, that's quite another. Just what are you planning on doing?
    Another round of Ubuntu for my friends here!
    Fighting to bring Pink back to The Pink Ponies archive.
    DELETE INSANITY!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: [SOLVED] Creating a Linux distro....

Quote Originally Posted by Naiki Muliaina View Post
    The only fault is a lack of direction. Whenever anyone tells you not to make a distro, ignore them! Im a firm believer of Linux being about choice. If you want to make a distro, go for it! Just try to have some direction with it

With 400 odd Linux distros out there, theres a lot of different directions distros can take. Choose what path you want, have a look into what you want, then go for it. If its an epic failiure, so be it, but you might just learn something. That something make become an idea for a next distro, and you might make something fantastic.

With that said, re reading your edited post (ya didnt have that before ) i noticed a line.

So you want a real GUI based distro? That right there could be your path. I loved the Mint XFCE menus. Merlwiz made a fantastic GUI for all the XFCE and Linux settings in one panel and i thought it was great. Well, maybe your path could be a GUI based Ubuntu distro. That could be your niche. Think about it, talk to your friend, make a plan, then come back with it and say 'guys what do you think?'.
    BINGO! There is finally someone that understands me

...you other guys, you should not start judging something that is not made yet!

EDIT:
    I am also tweaking the system for gaining some extra speed....
    Last edited by gjoellee; November 16th, 2008 at 01:22 PM.

Beans

Ok, so thats good, You want a GUI based distro or something? Something where people can avoid terminal as much as possible? Well the next question is a repeat of Chris's question.

Quote Originally Posted by chris4585 View Post
    how are you going to make the LiveCD for your distro?
    On a note about people judging you, to be fair here mate, your first post was not very descriptive of what you were doing It was just a sort of 'Hi there! i want to make another distro to add to the 400 distros already out there! I dont know what its going to be though, theres no defining features, and i want a community of 700,000 odd people to tell me what they want!' Im afraid that will be recieved with a bit of negativity. 700,000 people could give you 700,000 different ideas. You would need a ruddy big DVD to hold that many peoples ideas of what Linux should be aye

Beans
    Distro

This Live CD may be a live DVD, but I can't tell you that before I am making it. However I am not going to make the Live CD/DVD, that problem will be in the hands of my buddy

Beans

I wish you good luck, once you think about the following questions : who's gonna use it (except you) ? In what it's better than using the standard Ubuntu distribution ?

Beans

I was asking how he was going to make it because I have a *easy* solution, he avoided my question twice, unless I over looked it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gjoellee View Post
    Hey, what would Ubuntu be without Debian?
    What would Linux Mint be without Ubuntu or Debian?
    What would PCLinuxOS be without Mandriva?
    What would Mandriva be without Red Hat?
    ...and so on....
    May I ask...Do I have a point here?
    I think you misunderstand me. If Debian somehow vanished from the earth, Ubuntu would certainly be in trouble 6 months down the road, but it would still function as-is. If Red Hat went under, Mandriva would survive. However, if Ubuntu didn't exist, Ultimate Edition and Mint would both be useless because they depend on Ubuntu repositories. I don't consider them separate distros. To me, they are just additional metapackages for Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    I think you misunderstand me. If Debian somehow vanished from the earth, Ubuntu would certainly be in trouble 6 months down the road, but it would still function as-is. If Red Hat went under, Mandriva would survive. However, if Ubuntu didn't exist, Ultimate Edition and Mint would both be useless because they depend on Ubuntu repositories. I don't consider them separate distros. To me, they are just additional metapackages for Ubuntu.
    I never realy thought of things like that. Its a very good way of looking at it, prolly makes more sense than the way i look at it at least I use the word 'distro' as a very generic thing. I will refer to remixes of Debian and Ubuntu as distros. I used to say remixes were flavours instead of distros. I guess at some point i got lazy

I was asking how he was going to make it because I have a *easy* solution, he avoided my question twice, unless I over looked it?
    Whats the easy way?

Beans

deleted post for now
    Last edited by chris4585; November 19th, 2008 at 01:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro

My LiveCD scripts

From the readme

Download:

If you're using hardy

If you're using intrepid
    thanks a lot for those scrpits sir! They are making this a whole lot easier! tfOS (which is the name at the moment it will be changed) first alpha wil be available for download in a few days maybe. This is released to make sure of that some tweaks done to the kernel and grub does work on other computers. (I do guess that you call Alpha 1 a total rip-off).

Alpha 2 will contain have a lot more tweaks and updated/new software. The themes wil be related to the new name of the distro...

So I have a question: What should the name of the name of my distro be? You decide!
    Last edited by gjoellee; November 17th, 2008 at 04:00 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast