Thread: Laptop does not power off after hibernate

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Laptop does not power off after hibernate

Hello,
    I have updated to 2.6.24-21-generic on my Hardy laptop, and it does not power off after I hibernate with s2disk (uswsusp package). When it should power off, I get an error message saying pm_ops->enter failed, calling power_off (Reason: Broken pipe)
    I have not tried the older kernel yet, that is my next step. I also did some other stuff to optimize my laptop, such as disabling apm (since I have a new motherboard), disabling atd, and setting boot process (rc) concurrency to shell instead of none. I later reverted these changes, hoping to restore poweroff on hibernate, but it did not help.

I can manually power off by pressing the power button down on my laptop. After I restart, I can resume the system normally. However, after resume, some things just don't work: Lately running any command after resume just does not work: I cannot start gnome-terminal (if I hibernated from Gnome), or I cannot run any editor or sudo commands in a VT (if I hibernated from the virtual terminal (ctrl-alt-F2 and so on)). Howver, I am able to login in other VTs, but still unable to execute sudo commands.

Pressing the power button after a resume cause normal stopping of services, but after "Unmounting local file systems...." I soon get "mount: / is busy" two times, and then "* Will not halt" and nothing happens. pressing the power button again does nothing, but ctrl-alt-delete successfully reboots.

It would appear to me that shutdown itself is somehow bugged after resume, and when hibernating.

Shutdown (at least from GDM) after a non-resume bootup works.

Edit:
    When booting with the 2.6.24-20-generic kernel, the system powers off properly after hibernate and resume also works well. So, for now, I am using the 2.6.24-20-generic kernel.

My laptop is an HP dv6520eo.
    Last edited by Vermind; October 18th, 2008 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Added missing paren after "so on"
    Vermind

Beans

Re: Laptop does not power off after hibernate

Quote Originally Posted by Vermind View Post
    Hello,
    I have updated to 2.6.24-21-generic on my Hardy laptop, and it does not power off after I hibernate with s2disk (uswsusp package). When it should power off, I get an error message saying pm_ops->enter failed, calling power_off (Reason: Broken pipe)
    I have not tried the older kernel yet, that is my next step. I also did some other stuff to optimize my laptop, such as disabling apm (since I have a new motherboard), disabling atd, and setting boot process (rc) concurrency to shell instead of none. I later reverted these changes, hoping to restore poweroff on hibernate, but it did not help.

I can manually power off by pressing the power button down on my laptop. After I restart, I can resume the system normally. However, after resume, some things just don't work: Lately running any command after resume just does not work: I cannot start gnome-terminal (if I hibernated from Gnome), or I cannot run any editor or sudo commands in a VT (if I hibernated from the virtual terminal (ctrl-alt-F2 and so on)). Howver, I am able to login in other VTs, but still unable to execute sudo commands.

Pressing the power button after a resume cause normal stopping of services, but after "Unmounting local file systems...." I soon get "mount: / is busy" two times, and then "* Will not halt" and nothing happens. pressing the power button again does nothing, but ctrl-alt-delete successfully reboots.

It would appear to me that shutdown itself is somehow bugged after resume, and when hibernating.

Shutdown (at least from GDM) after a non-resume bootup works.

Edit:
    When booting with the 2.6.24-20-generic kernel, the system powers off properly after hibernate and resume also works well. So, for now, I am using the 2.6.24-20-generic kernel.

My laptop is an HP dv6520eo.
    I have exactly the same problem, but the message "pm_ops" appear when the shutdown works correctly, but in my case the monitor still on when this fails, or shutdown the monitor, but with a message "saved image" of hibernate, only the message appears when this works correctly.
    Any idea? i have a kernel 2.6.29 i use Debian Squeeze.
    And i use a Desktop PC.
    Greetings!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

After I switched to Ubuntu Intrepid and later Jaunty, I have not had this issue. I recommend upgrading pm-utils...
    Vermind

Beans

same problem .. i will try to ubuntu 9.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkghost2 View Post
    same problem .. i will try to ubuntu 9.04
    the problem come from the file /etc/uswsusp.conf
    that file maybe say reboot or poweroff, change to shutdown and it works finely