Thread: How do I view "/var/log/rkhunter.log" a page at a time?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How do I view "/var/log/rkhunter.log" a page at a time?

This is my 2nd try at Ubuntu. I have forgotten all I learned on my 1st try. This is a two part question - how do I view It and how do I read it a page at a time? Ben
    Last edited by Iowan; January 18th, 2014 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Normalize font

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How do I view "/var/log/rkhunter.log" a page at a time?

Try less /var/log/rkhunter.log
    sudo might be necessary if it balks at 'permission denied"
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I use the following, but the log is only available when open immediately after running rkhunter while the output is still visible in the terminal.

Code:
    gksudo gedit /var/log/rkhunter.log
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; January 18th, 2014 at 11:08 PM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bc.haynes View Post
    This is my 2nd try at Ubuntu. I have forgotten all I learned on my 1st try. This is a two part question - how do I view It and how do I read it a page at a time? Ben
    As as been noted above "gksu gedit" for graphical, is the easiest (gksu or gksudo, as the log is owned by root and gedit is a graphical application).

For "one page at a time" in terminal, I just "cat" the file and pipe its output through "more". From which point using the spacebar will scroll a page at a time, or the enter button a line at a time; to quit during the output use "q" on the keyboard. The command,
    Code:
    sudo cat /var/log/rkhunter.log | more -d
    the "-d" switch on "more" causes it to give out instructions for use.
    Last edited by coldcritter64; January 19th, 2014 at 08:02 AM. Reason: altered wording last sentence

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Iown's is the easiest way to go, and the less command being used lets you constantly scroll up or down in the output - not just a pause and then dump another page. Piping to more only gives a pause then dumps the next page - no scrolling up or down (at least when I hvae used it - that's why I've stuck with "less").
    Last edited by squakie; January 19th, 2014 at 08:57 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    Iown's is the easiest way to go, and the less command being used lets you constantly scroll up or down in the output - not just a pause and then dump another page. Piping to more only gives a pause then dumps the next page - no scrolling up or down (at least when I hvae used it - that's why I've stuck with "less").
    True, Iowan's command supports scrolling better / natively.

If gnome-terminal is set to not "scroll on output" in preferences, ie the tick box is cleared you can mouse button scroll back through previous output or scroll back fully to the end and continue using the command, just tested here on a Debian 7 install, gnome desktop, I'm sure this also works on my Ubuntu installs, I use it regularly. Cheers.

Edit: I should also note I always set gnome-terminal to "unlimited" for scrollback on the scrolling tab. It stops any loss of output when using the terminal this way.
    Last edited by coldcritter64; January 19th, 2014 at 10:49 AM. Reason: extra note re. terminal use and scrollback