Page 27 of 56 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardy freezes

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Hardy freezes

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's having problems.

My upgrade to 8.04 results in it freezing right at the login screen. And yes, I use an nVidia card (the machine itself is a Compaq Presario 6000 with AMD Athlon).

Is there any way to downgrade using a live CD (of the earlier Ubuntu versions I have) until this is resolved? Or hopefully, a new live CD with the fixed version of 8.04 is released soon?

Yeah, I'm still rather noob-ish, even though I've gone through at least two upgrades. I haven't a damn clue how to tweak my BIOS, or whatever. But the previous Ubuntu versions I've used worked like a dream. Gutsy was great. Hardy? Not so much, if this is any indication of the future.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just for the record:

Hardy Heron

Asus motherboard with nvidia bridge
    AMD 64 Dual Core Opteron 175
    Nvidia 7900GTO
    Audigy 2 Soundblaster

Consistently LOCKS UP HARD randomly on various desktop functions and nautilus window manipulations. Ctrl, Alt +backspace does not escape. F1-no escape. Mouse continues to function but screen is unresponsive to mouse selections. Power down hard and reboot is the only escape.

No sound available.
    ox is grateful http://www.singingfalls.com linux user #199890
    12.04 - 2 PCs and 1 Laptop - System 76 bonp5

Beans

@knightmuzic:

V6000's and DV6000's have a BIOS bug that freeze the kernel. I know because I have one.

You should use this kernel parameters to boot:
    noapic irqpoll noirqdebug

If it doesn't work, try booting with the kernel from the previous version. The 2.6.24 kernel makes my V6000 freeze anyway, so I had to downgrade to 2.6.22 .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by knightmuzic View Post
    Is there any way to downgrade using a live CD (of the earlier Ubuntu versions I have) until this is resolved? Or hopefully, a new live CD with the fixed version of 8.04 is released soon?
    You can "downgrade" by reinstalling Gutsy, if you still have the CD, or else you can easily download it from the Ubuntu archives. I "usually" so it by repartitioning my hard drive using the Gparted partitioner integrated with the Live CD (that is, I delete the former Ubuntu partitions, incl. the swap part., then I restart the partitioner and do pretty much everything the automated way.) You might find it easier to do the whole thing if you don't dual boot as I do. If you need more help, just ask.

Quote Originally Posted by oxman View Post
    No sound available.
    Same here, but sound only disappeared after a few days/weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by landeel View Post
    If it doesn't work, try booting with the kernel from the previous version. The 2.6.24 kernel makes my V6000 freeze anyway, so I had to downgrade to 2.6.22 .
    Was just wondering, which is the easiest way to "downgrade" Hardy to kernel version 2.6.22? Do you still get updates then?
    Last edited by External; July 13th, 2008 at 12:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

[QUOTE=oxman;5370551]Just for the record:

Consistently LOCKS UP HARD randomly on various desktop functions and nautilus window manipulations. Ctrl, Alt +backspace does not escape. F1-no escape. Mouse continues to function but screen is unresponsive to mouse selections. Power down hard and reboot is the only escape.

To reboot in a slightly less down-and-dirty way, you can hold <ALT> <CTL> <SYSRQ> and while holding them press R E I S U B. When you press the B, the system will reboot. (Some say use the mnemonic Raising Elephants Is So Utterly Boring, I just remember BUSIER backwards.) For a discussion on what this does, and why you can check out
    http://fosswire.com/2007/09/08/fix-a...ic-sysrq-keys/

Of course I'd rather they just fix the d&%$ lockups...

Make that keystroke sequence <ALT> <SYSRQ> no need to complicate it even more with <CTL>...
    Last edited by herdivet; July 13th, 2008 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Correct keystroke sequence

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by External View Post
    I was just wondering whether anyone has tested Hardy 1.1.
    I just gave the 8.04.1 live cd a try. Got about 5 minutes into it before it froze.
    I tried both Fedora 9 and Intrepid Ibex as hard disk installs. Both are stable sitting still (Hardy isn't). Both will lock up randomly while I browse the web. I've seen a lot of people having problems with pulseaudio and Flash. Supposedly KDE doesn't have that problem, but Synaptic in Ibex took a crap and I booted back to 7.04.
    No silver bullet, I'm afraid.

Beans

Mine has frozen on two occasions since yesterday.

1) After erasing a large number of files from a new partition then trying to access the deleted items folder...

2) When it just tried to change the permissions on the same said ext3 partition while trying to edit my fstab as per the following thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=figure+ext3

Anyone have any idea why?

Beans

I even tried <ALT> <CTL> <SYSRQ>. Amazingly it did nothing. I had to power off and power on. Once it came back up the <ALT> <CTL> <SYSRQ> events were logged.

Had a lockup just a little while ago. This time no keyboard input. I was able to reboot using the mouse.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PadreSol View Post
    I even tried <ALT> <CTL> <SYSRQ>. Amazingly it did nothing. I had to power off and power on. Once it came back up the <ALT> <CTL> <SYSRQ> events were logged.

Had a lockup just a little while ago. This time no keyboard input. I was able to reboot using the mouse.
    This Alt, Ctrl, Sysrq command...does it only work when the computer has frozen? It has no effect on either of my computers when pressed in normal time.

Beans

I urge you to do the following:

wget http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v....25.11.tar.bz2
    bunzip2 linux-2.6.25.11.tar.bz2
    cd linux-2.6.25.11/Documentation
    less sysrq.txt

Also, this to everyone, it's always a good idea to have the kernel source around to look through the docs in "your-kernel-version/Documentation"

Some of it's out-dated but much is very useful.

For example the part about echo commands to /proc/sysrq-trigger

Page 27 of 56 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast