View Poll Results: Are you ready to ditch physical media?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

18 24.00%
  • no

42 56.00%
  • depends on the situation

15 20.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who still wants Physical Media?

Beans

Who still wants Physical Media?

Do you guys still want DVDs,cds,and other physical media? I like dvds because you can often get good ones for cheap but other than that I would much rather have a digital copy of a movie or music. I have so much crap lying around the house the last thing i want is a dvd that i only pull out once a year at the most. I'd much rather just have a digital copy ready to go on my ps3. Paying $3-4 to rent a movie and have it start playing instantly is just so much more convenient. Also I don't really listen to whole albums in a row so cds kinda suck imo. They have better sound qualtiy but I refuse to buy something physical when the only time i will ever use it is when ripping it to a digital copy. Games are the only exception to the rule for me because they are so expensive. But then again if i was a pc gamer games often go on sale for ridiculously low prices and then I'd be willing to go all digital. I have playstation plus on my ps3 and just having a huge library of games right on the main menu is awesome. The only benefit a real copy of the game has is the resale value. But then again the resale value goes down super quickly and you might as well just keep the game half the time. So how about you guys? Ready to ditch your dvds and cds?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Re: Who still wants Physical Media?

I want to have a DVD with Linux on it so I can install it if anything were to happen to my Internet connection.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Not really. Physical media are good for backups, but the density and price per GB of storage media like hard drives has got to the point where they're more convenient for that too.

Beans

I still want to have physical media for games (PS3 in particular). I find the price very high and feel I should at least get a case with a disc in it if I've had to bend over to purchase it.

For other media though Im happy with digital.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Keep in mind that with services like Steam and GoG, the need for physical media is being reduced, even for games. If there's a game available in a box or through Steam, I'd personally be happy to pay MORE for the steam version, just so I wouldn't have to deal with keeping track of discs and activation codes and all that mess.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I still buy all of my music on CD's.

There are a couple of reasons for this, firstly I can rip them into the format that I want to. For me this means FLAC as I get a rip that is indistinguishable from the original CD, I don't have to settle for an inferior quality compressed file which makes up 99% of the music available for download.

Secondly the CD's act as a physical backup of my music, I don't trust having access to my music dictated to me by a third party. There is always the possibility of Apple (or whoever) going bust, or getting hacked and all of their customers being cut off from their purchased music.

It also gives me something to pass on to my children, at the moment iTunes accounts aren't transferable between people. When your gone your account is cancelled and all of your purchased music disappears along with it.
    Cheesemill

Beans

I sort of do, as it helps to have a hardcopy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I guess I'm "olde Skool"

I like "the real thing". I still buy individual songs I like from Amazon downloads but if I like that song I'll most probably order the cd.

As for films.

We signed up for LoveFilm but my infinity internet connection is so b0rked it took us a week to watch one film (buffering, then gave up only to try the next saturday where we left off). Couldn't believe it ended how it did, A week to watch it and it was crap !! (Dinosaur Project)

It was nice to give up with the online film and just grab a Bluray and bang it in the Ps3. Job sorted (Keanu Reeves - Day the earth stood still)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I backup important documents in an external drive, my webserver and on dvds in a box under my desk. I find the dvds have been useful as recently my external HD just pooped out. I save things like photos and music on the dvds. It's much faster to put them back on the computer than downloading the multiple gigs from the web.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AstroLlama View Post
    I backup important documents in an external drive, my webserver and on dvds in a box under my desk. I find the dvds have been useful as recently my external HD just pooped out. I save things like photos and music on the dvds. It's much faster to put them back on the computer than downloading the multiple gigs from the web.
    I agree about the last part but I also find it faster and easier to just plug in my external harddrive and copy stuff back to my pc. I have at least 3-4 copies of my music lying around on my phone, 3 mp3 players, ps3, and 2 separate external hard drives.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast