Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nautilus in 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Nautilus in 13.04

I've also noticed that the add bookmark function does not seem to be there as it is supposed to be according to the help docs.

Edit: I spotted the bookmarks in post #8 above.

VinDSL, can you tell me how you bookmarked those folders?
    According to the help docs I'm supposed to be able to open a folder and go Bookmarks>Edit>Add bookmark but I don't see any menu options past Bookmarks and the window it opens only shows the default bookmarks and an option to remove them.
    Last edited by Paulgirardin; April 16th, 2013 at 02:32 AM.
    Ubuntu 23.10

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paulgirardin View Post
    I've also noticed that the add bookmark function does not seem to be there as it is supposed to be according to the help docs.

Edit: I spotted the bookmarks in post #8 above.

VinDSL, can you tell me how you bookmarked those folders?
    According to the help docs I'm supposed to be able to open a folder and go Bookmarks>Edit>Add bookmark but I don't see any menu options past Bookmarks and the window it opens only shows the default bookmarks and an option to remove them.
    Use the cog icon menu on the far right...Bookmark this location or ctrl+d.

PS I also miss the columns of compact view because you could set them to autosize which would show
    long file names.
    Last edited by stinkeye; April 16th, 2013 at 03:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks , I just found that myself
    Ubuntu 23.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Any way to get the file tree view in the left side column? The option seems to have dissappeared.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Can you post a screenshot?

I'm not a Nautilus fanboi; far from it. I use PCManFM 99.9% of the time, but...

Looks perfectly compact & usable, to me. I just prefer NOT to use it. LoL!

There are lots of file managers out there. If Nautilus doesn't float your boat...
    My mistake... It was the minimum level where the text disappears. At the same level as compact the text is included but words with more than 8 characters have their words wrapped to the next line part way through the word. See screenshot (nautilus vs nemo). Yuck. And of course the orientation of left to right just doesn't work in the same way as top to bottom.

As for suggestions of other file managers -- none of them (I've seen) work in the way I like, or they are missing a feature or two that I like to use.

Screenshot from 2013-04-16 22:45:05_nautilus-vs-nemo.png

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by treesurf View Post
    Any way to get the file tree view in the left side column? The option seems to have dissappeared.
    Not until we get Nautilus >=3.7.90
    Tree view was removed in the 3.6 series (13.04 has 3.6.3 I think?) but reinstated in 3.7.90
    Ryzen 7 5800X / Alpenfohn Gletschewasser 280 / Gigabyte X570S Aero G / 32GB 4000MHz C16 Team Group X-treem /
    Gigabyte RTX4080 Aero OC / 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / Asus Loki 1kW / Lian-Li O11D Mini / Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo / Win11 / Kubuntu 23.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nospam2k View Post
    I just installed 13.04 beta. Went directly to Nautilus to see if the bad had really happened. Yes, no compact view. Erased. Switched to Linux Mint Cinnamon.
    You know what I did? I installed 'Nemo' in 13.04.

@IanW: The odd numbers in the nautilus/gnome version numbers represent test versions for instance, 3.5, 3.7 are test versions. The even numbers are stable like 3.4 and 3.6. So yes the 3.8 version will get back most of the 'missing' features.
    Last edited by fantab; April 16th, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    [...] @IanW: The odd numbers in the nautilus/gnome version numbers represent test versions for instance, 3.5, 3.7 are test versions. The even numbers are stable like 3.4 and 3.6. So yes the 3.8 version will get back most of the 'missing' features.
    @fantab: I do hope you're right and that 3.8 will give us the missing features back. But what I find strange is that I'm already using an even version (Version: 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu16) but, nonetheless, many features are gone (?).

I'm attaching two screenshots comparing Nautilus icon view and Thunar compact list view to show how they differ from each other.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ubuntu user 27.973 : Linux user 492.713 : Free as in GNU/Linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well, that's what I learned, can't remember where though. However, gnome will not bring back those lost features which are not "touch" friendly, for instance 'tree view'. Like we know, Gnome is being re-designed for 'touch-screens'. That is where they think the future is.

What I miss most in Nautilus is the 'recursive search' feature. And it is supposedly back in test versions. Though I haven't tried the 'test version', first hand. If gnome devs feel that compact view is not good for 'touch' then its not comming back.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    What I miss most in Nautilus is the 'recursive search' feature. And it is supposedly back in test versions..
    It was added back to 13.04's nautilus some time ago -

nautilus (1:3.6.3-0ubuntu12) raring; urgency=low

* debian/patches/git_enable_simple_search_engine.patch,
    debian/patches/git_search_dir_incremental_load.patch,
    debian/patches/git_search_recursive_dir.patch:
    - backport some patches to fix recursive directory search (lp: #1077415)

-- Sebastien Bacher <seb128@ubuntu.com> Fri, 22 Mar 2013
    tree in list view will only be avail. in 3.8 though it can be patched into 3.6, I do so here
    (decided to use 3.6 in 13.04 as 3.8 has this new DnD hover 'feature' that I've come to hate & haven't yet explored either fixing or removing in 3.8

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast