Thread: Dash on Ubuntu 12.10 is painfully slow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Dash on Ubuntu 12.10 is painfully slow

A few days ago, I upgraded from Ubuntu 12.04 to 12.10 and the upgrade went smoothly. My system is stable and runs well with the exception of Dash.

Dash takes FOREVER to load icons and when I try to switch filters, say from "System" to "Internet", it seems Dash doesn't really respond.

I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit on an eMachines system with an AMD Athlon64 3200+ CPU running at 2GHz and with 2.5GB of RAM. I'm running Unity.

Any ideas on how I can find out why Dash is running so poorly? According to "top", Xorg consistently takes 30%+ of CPU and the other applications I have running are Google Chrome (5 tabs open, one of which is streaming from Pandora via Flash), Mozilla Thunderbird, Empathy (one chat session open), and rdesktop (connected to a Windows XP system).

Thanks!

Peace...

Beans

Re: Dash on Ubuntu 12.10 is painfully slow

Similar problem. Still unsolved:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2079672

Beans

So this reinstall works for me immediately!
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-intel
    Try dash at Guest account. If it's faster try to reinstall than you should achieve similar response like on guest account. At least it helped for me. 3-4 secs to open Dash and 2 to close (before reinstall about 10sec) however on guest account it's still better 1.5 vs 0.5 sec, (graphics Intel on i915 driver)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by theeo View Post
    So this reinstall works for me immediately!
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-intel
    Try dash at Guest account. If it's faster try to reinstall than you should achieve similar response like on guest account. At least it helped for me. 3-4 secs to open Dash and 2 to close (before reinstall about 10sec) however on guest account it's still better 1.5 vs 0.5 sec, (graphics Intel on i915 driver)
    I confirm this worked for me in resolving the issue of the Dash lagging and generally being very slow.
    The 800lb penguin in the room

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Smile Re: Dash on Ubuntu 12.10 is painfully slow

Just confirming that reinstalling did speed up Dash's launch.

I have an ATI card, so used the following instead.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-ati
    Dash is faster, but not fast...would be thrilled if someone would suggest something that would speed up the searches and overall response.
    HP nx6325: AMD Turion X2, 2 GB RAM, ATI Radeon Xpress 1150