Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: GNOME randomly reverts to default theme, then refuses to touch Nautilus

Beans

Re: GNOME randomly reverts to default theme, then refuses to touch Nautilus

This is so irritating issue. I had it since 10.10. I thought it's related to my Awesome WM setup, but now I see that more people have it and must be some race condition.

What I have noticed is that during booting/logging in time there's still gnome-setting-manager process belonging to gdm user. This one probably collides with newly started session and once it finishes, the theme goes gray. So I force gdm to kill it while still being gdb user:

Code:
    [mutex:~]% cat /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default
    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # Note: this is a sample and will not be run as is.  Change the name of this
    # file to <gdmconfdir>/PostLogin/Default for this script to be run.  This
    # script will be run before any setup is run on behalf of the user and is
    # useful if you for example need to do some setup to create a home directory
    # for the user or something like that.  $HOME, $LOGIN and such will all be
    # set appropriately and this script is run as root.

killall gnome-settings-daemon 1>>/tmp/log.1 2>>/tmp/log.2
    killall -9 gnome-settings-daemon 1>>/tmp/log.1 2>>/tmp/log.2
    [mutex:~]% ls -al !$
    ls -al /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 561 2011-05-11 13:57 /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default
    [mutex:~]%
    So far the problem does not reappear, while previously I had it at every login.
    Last edited by dpc.ucore.info; May 11th, 2011 at 01:20 PM.

Beans

I just had the bug appear in Natty after logging out and back in. I have Ubuntu One disabled in the Startup Applications, so yet again a confirmation that it seemingly has nothing to do with it.

If all signs point to GDM as the culprit, I have a question to ponder: Will the planned replacement of GDM with LightDM in Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot finally resolve this issue?

@dpc.ucore.info

I would like to try out your fix but your post is not clear to me.
    Should I create a file called Default in /etc/gdm/PostLogin/ with the contents you posted as is, or what should I write in the script? Furthermore, should I mark it executable and put it in the Startup Programs or should it just simply reside in /etc/gdm/PostLogin/?

Thanks for your help!

Beans

As you can see, the script is already executable. So copy /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default.sample to /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default , paste the two lines in it and restart GDM (logout and login) or reboot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by metallus View Post
    As you can see, the script is already executable. So copy /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default.sample to /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default , paste the two lines in it and restart GDM (logout and login) or reboot.
    Thank You! I implemented the changes, let's see if the bug reappears...

Beans

this is probably the same bug that I am having with gnome 3 right now: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1725221&page=3

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kjano View Post
    this is probably the same bug that I am having with gnome 3 right now: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1725221&page=3
    You could try dpc.ucore.info's solution (see posts 261-264). Would be nice to see if it really does work. I only had this bug appear once since I installed Natty (had it all the time with Maverick), so I only implemented dpc.ucore.info's fix as a kind of security net. The bug did not appear since but I can't verify if this is because it's rare anyway for me these days or dpc.ucore.info really works...

We need a definitive fix for this bug.
    Last edited by Kupfer; May 17th, 2011 at 01:31 AM.

Beans

I get

> gnome-settings-daemon

** (gnome-settings-daemon:23888): WARNING **: Ignoring unknown module 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.gconf'

** (gnome-settings-daemon:23888): WARNING **: Name taken or bus went away - shutting down
    Segmentation fault

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

My 11.04 amd64 machine started doing this and I loaded lightDM and removed GDM. That fixed it for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bdudek View Post
    My 11.04 amd64 machine started doing this and I loaded lightDM and removed GDM. That fixed it for me.
    I just did that too on my 11.04 vmware installation and that worked flawlessly.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627