Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Upkeeping on old systems?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu Upkeeping on old systems?

Quote Originally Posted by Sendo Eevpix View Post
    So to get the best of the HP Pavilion, Uninstall Unity, get PurexUbuntu, and also get Ubuntu Tweak to maximize the full use of this computer?
    Only use Ubuntu Tweek to clean up your system of old unused files lingering on your HD. It won't make the computer fast. I recommend the sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    I would burn a DVD of Linux Mint 14 Mate 32-bit and give it a spin and see how it works on your machine. I find it quite snappy on 2004 vintage Dell 600m with a Celeron M 1.4 GHz and 2GB of RAM, similar to your specs.

If you decide to install it, back up your personal data on an external drive and do a fresh install. It's risky to overwrite your desktop environment.
    Seeing as I am no good with Computers works, other then basics, and no Linux users(Near me anymore) to guide and help prevent any problems, I won't attempt that.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ACubed10 View Post
    Only use Ubuntu Tweek to clean up your system of old unused files lingering on your HD. It won't make the computer fast. I recommend the sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    Alright. I'll switch to XUbuntu-Desktop, and use U-T to clean up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Wink Re: Ubuntu Upkeeping on old systems?

You can keep Unity if you want. Just follow the above command to install xubuntu-desktop. An even lighter-weight desktop is lubuntu-desktop.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    You can keep Unity if you want. Just follow the above command to install xubuntu-desktop. An even lighter-weight desktop is lubuntu-desktop.
    Thank you for telling me, but I already got done installing xUbuntu, and Ubuntu Tweak. Though I can hardly tell xUbuntu is on other then splash screen for start up, and shut downs. And Ubuntu Tweak clearing out over 999+Mb data.

Beans

I would recommend installing either Xubuntu or Lubuntu as said in previous posts.

You can have both of these desktop environments as well as keeping your Ubuntu OS, as these operating systems all share a common core.

To install Xubuntu:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop -y
    To install Lubuntu:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop -y
    These operating systems have a much less resource demand than Ubuntu such as using less RAM, CPU and GPU processing power.
    There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand Binary and those who don't.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sendo Eevpix View Post
    Thank you for telling me, but I already got done installing xUbuntu, and Ubuntu Tweak. Though I can hardly tell xUbuntu is on other then splash screen for start up, and shut downs. And Ubuntu Tweak clearing out over 999+Mb data.
    You need to make sure to change your session to Xubuntu or XFCE (I forget how it's labeled now) BEFORE you log in. Otherwise you'll just end up at the same Unity desktop you had before.

If you were using XFCE, you'd certainly notice. It looks quite different from Unity.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Sweeney View Post
    I would recommend installing either Xubuntu or Lubuntu as said in previous posts.

You can have both of these desktop environments as well as keeping your Ubuntu OS, as these operating systems all share a common core.

To install Xubuntu:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop -y
    To install Lubuntu:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop -y
    These operating systems have a much less resource demand than Ubuntu such as using less RAM, CPU and GPU processing power.
    Alright. Now I have X & L, so far I haven't found much difference in performance, but notice less lag, and unresponsive issues.

So to quickly finish my thread and questions. Are their basic tools to use to better my computer from such problems of crashes, Unresponsive and such, and be sure that they are less likely to occur?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Making sure your system is up to date and hardware is still working is the only way to keep things running good

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ACubed10 View Post
    Making sure your system is up to date and hardware is still working is the only way to keep things running good
    Oh Okay, Then What's with all the system tools in the software center?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast