Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: List of upcoming commercial Linux games !

Beans

Re: List of upcoming commercial Linux games !

Quote Originally Posted by KhaaL View Post
    Nah, its a new standalone game in the late beta stages. I think it also has a few engine optimizations thats not in the ordinary Savage2 game.

Interesting ... I thought it was based on Savage 1 not 2 ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

AoD -- Shows promise, hopefully it wont go the way of 0. AD (deciding not to release a full game but rather open the code and then let someone else do it). Its been in active development a long time, regarding it, so Im not holding my breath.

Wolfenstein and Rage -- Not likely. Mac will probably get a port before linux does. JohnK has already gone on record saying this, more than once.

Disciples2, Shadowgrounds, and Bandits -- All LGP ports. Im sure they will eventually happen, but Bandits has apparently been in dev for a long while, and Im not holding my breath there either.

Sacred 2 -- Probably not. Sacred 2 was part of the whole Games for Windows Initiative. In addition to that, its Xbox360 licensing probably disallows for somtehing like being ported to another platform. If such a thing were possible, youd have already seen a Mac client.

Project Offset -- Isnt actually a game, but more an engine. Its basically a bunch of disaffected S2 game devs trying to prove a point. Ive not see anything that would even resemble a game here.

Serious Sam 2 - Nope.
    Legend of Crystal Valley - Nope.

Heroes of Newerth -- Incredible piece of software indeed.

In short, stating that an engine supports native-ability in something other than Mac or Win32, doesnt really say much of anything regarding a game going native. You have to have developers. Interested and motivated developers to do it. One should not get ones hopes up just because some guy on a forum says its possible to do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

this will increase popularity to linux because of gaming

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by compiledkernel View Post
    AoD -- Shows promise, hopefully it wont go the way of 0. AD (deciding not to release a full game but rather open the code and then let someone else do it).
    http://os.wildfiregames.com/

Tell me, where does it say development has stopped? They're opening the source, but they're still working on it. I'm amazed at how many people have conjured up the same idea you have.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by V for Vincent View Post
    http://os.wildfiregames.com/

Tell me, where does it say development has stopped? They're opening the source, but they're still working on it. I'm amazed at how many people have conjured up the same idea you have.
    To each their own opinion Vincent. Ive seen many many game linux promises come and go (being a purist linux gamer for as long as I have been) , so naturally my opinion might be a little jaded.

Beans

AoD -- Shows promise, hopefully it wont go the way of 0. AD (deciding not to release a full game but rather open the code and then let someone else do it). Its been in active development a long time, regarding it, so Im not holding my breath.

Wolfenstein and Rage -- Not likely. Mac will probably get a port before linux does. JohnK has already gone on record saying this, more than once.

Disciples2, Shadowgrounds, and Bandits -- All LGP ports. Im sure they will eventually happen, but Bandits has apparently been in dev for a long while, and Im not holding my breath there either.

Sacred 2 -- Probably not. Sacred 2 was part of the whole Games for Windows Initiative. In addition to that, its Xbox360 licensing probably disallows for somtehing like being ported to another platform. If such a thing were possible, youd have already seen a Mac client.

Project Offset -- Isnt actually a game, but more an engine. Its basically a bunch of disaffected S2 game devs trying to prove a point. Ive not see anything that would even resemble a game here.

Serious Sam 2 - Nope.
    Legend of Crystal Valley - Nope.

Heroes of Newerth -- Incredible piece of software indeed.

In short, stating that an engine supports native-ability in something other than Mac or Win32, doesnt really say much of anything regarding a game going native. You have to have developers. Interested and motivated developers to do it. One should not get ones hopes up just because some guy on a forum says its possible to do it.
    Hello C.K - long time no see
    How are you those days ?

You can be 100% sure that AoD won't become a community project, moreover the devs says that it's not even mod friendly.
    I'm also sure that eventually this game will be released (a Linux client might be done later).

Wolfenstein and Rage - ID was always friendly to Linux and ever after they got bought ther is still hope ...the engines support Linux so anything is possible ... who thought that Prey will be released for Linux ?
    There is still hope.

Sacred 2 - Michael said that IF the sells of Sacred1 will be good enough he will try to license Sacred2 for porting, he has done deals with Aschelon before so he knows better.

Project Offset - it's true that it's an engine, but they are making a game to prove their engine's worth, they got bought by Intel BTW.
    A few years ago they said that their engine supports Linux, now they got that NDA and saying "no comment" , they could just say "no".

Serious Sam 2 - you might be right , but their is a beta client - so there is always some hope for someone to improve it.

Legend of Crystal Valley - The devs porting on this very forum that they where preparing a Linux client for this game - I dunno what is the status now, but unless they say "No" there is a hope.

I very much agree with you that if an engine supports Linux it doesn't mean that there will be a Linux version of their games - BUT at this list I've tried to write only about games that have some hope for a Linux client, not about engines that support Linux.

If you know for a 100% that there is no chance for game X to be ported to Linux - please tell me (provide some prof) and I'll remove it from the list.

Same about game I did not write here and you know they will probably have a Linux client.

Beans
    Distro

Quothing from the linuxgames article -- asuming thats valid.

"Wolfenstein is pretty unlikely, since it was developed at Raven, and published by Activision. There are no firm plans for linux ports of the idTech 5 titles, but it certainly isn’t off the table. I don’t think it will be very difficult to get them running on the binary nvidia drivers, but bringing them up to functionality and acceptable performance on other OpenGL drivers would probably be a more significant undertaking than we could afford. "

Whether this is the result of the Bethesda buyout deal or such, who knows.

Id also be interested to know if and when the next id tech release will go open, if it does.

Beans
    Distro

As far as 0 A.D. is concerned, I give wildfire games credit for working labouriously since 2003 to get the game released. Everything that I have seen of the game and its components is well developed and masterfully done. That being said.... 6 years of development is a long time for a game to have been released. That would discourage anyone from actually believing they could release a game.

Ive been in the Linux gaming field long enough to remember back in 2002/2003 when they announced 0 A.D. was going to be released. I wont state that its a false hope, or an invalid promise. But thats a very long time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I believe Sacred 2 came out for PS3 or is coming out.
    -AKA SlickMcRunfast
    LXGC Game Night every Sunday. | AZLOCO

Beans

Quothing from the linuxgames article -- asuming thats valid.

"Wolfenstein is pretty unlikely, since it was developed at Raven, and published by Activision. There are no firm plans for linux ports of the idTech 5 titles, but it certainly isn’t off the table. I don’t think it will be very difficult to get them running on the binary nvidia drivers, but bringing them up to functionality and acceptable performance on other OpenGL drivers would probably be a more significant undertaking than we could afford. "

Whether this is the result of the Bethesda buyout deal or such, who knows.

Id also be interested to know if and when the next id tech release will go open, if it does.

I read it ...
    Maybe it's just me but I want to believe that there is still a chance.
    That's why I put it in the second list , the "maybe" list.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast