Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: xf86-input-mtrack: The Other Multitouch Trackpad Driver

Beans

xf86-input-mtrack: The Other Multitouch Trackpad Driver

xf86-input-mtrack v0.2.0
    Xorg Multitouch Trackpad Driver

This is the official release of xf86-input-mtrack, a multitouch trackpad driver for X. It has been tested again Xorg versions 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, and now 1.10.

Click here to visit the GitHub project page.

To download the latest stable source code:
    Code:
    git clone git://github.com/BlueDragonX/xf86-input-mtrack.git
    This project started life as a fork of xf86-input-multitouch and was originally announced in this thread. It has come a long way and I believe it's finally worthy of a version number.

The README on Github gives a configuration example and an overview of all the available options.

Support for disabling the trackpad while typing is included as of v0.2.0. This requires an external daemon. I have created dispad for this purpose:

Please post any issues to the project's issues tracker on Github. You can check the last few pages of the original thread for some example configs that other people are using.

Downloads

Changelog for v0.2.0
    • Now built via autoconf/automake.
    • Fully configurable via XInput.
    • Sensitivify now configurable.
    • Trackpad can now be disabled on keystroke via an external daemon.
    • Four finger tapping/swiping added.
    • Button zones added, a new button emulation method.
    • Tap-to-drag fixed.
    • Three finger tapping responsiveness fixed.

Changelog for v0.1.1
    • Bugfix release.
    • Disabling tapping no longer (wrongly) disables pointer movement.
    • Button emulation set to ignore "old" touches. What consitutes an old touch can be adjusted with the ButtonTouchExpire option.

Changelog for v0.1.0
    • Initial release.
    Last edited by BlueDragonX; November 14th, 2011 at 06:39 PM.
    Gentoo Developer Extraordinaire

Beans

Re: xf86-input-mtrack: The Other Multitouch Trackpad Driver

Thanks! Finally my macbook is linux-ready. I've got it running on Fedora 15 (Gnome3).
    One thing i would really love is to bind a 3 or 4 finger down swipe to an expose kind of view (show all running windows), and one to show all workspaces. Is that possible?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

May I ask how this is different than the main one?

Beans

great, thanks! it's already working a lot better than the original one. a few comments:
    - scrolling up and down is too slow in firefox (was faster with the original driver)
    - my girlfriend has rather small fingers which sometimes arent recognized properly, especially with gestures
    - sometimes scrolling up doesnt work, while scrolling down does (strange...)

Beans

> - scrolling up and down is too slow in firefox (was faster with the original driver)

Same here. On the other hand, tapping is much better.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by labaom View Post
    May I ask how this is different than the main one?
    The mtrack driver is fully configurable. See the README. Also, I've fixed a few of the quirks that the original had.

Quote Originally Posted by c3n View Post
    great, thanks! it's already working a lot better than the original one. a few comments:
    - scrolling up and down is too slow in firefox (was faster with the original driver)
    - my girlfriend has rather small fingers which sometimes arent recognized properly, especially with gestures
    This can be taken care of by adjusting the configuration. For scrolling you'll want to adjust ScrollDistance and for touching you'll want to adjust FingerHigh and FingerLow. See the README for all of the configuration options, their descriptions, and their defaults.

Quote Originally Posted by c3n View Post
    - sometimes scrolling up doesnt work, while scrolling down does (strange...)
    This I haven't seen happen. Are you lifting your fingers from the trackpad between scrolling, or are you attempting to scroll down then back up without lifting your fingers? How are you situating your fingers when you scroll and which fingers are you using?
    Gentoo Developer Extraordinaire

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Re: xf86-input-mtrack: The Other Multitouch Trackpad Driver

rafwes claims that his configuration works closer to the default behavior of the Mac OS X driver:
    Code:
    Section "InputClass"
    	MatchIsTouchpad "on"
    	Identifier      "Touchpads"
    	Driver          "multitouch"
    	Option		"ThumbSize"      "35"
    	Option		"PalmSize"       "55"
    	Option		"ClickTime"      "25"
    	Option		"ScrollDistance" "300"
    EndSection
    You can read his original post over here, he commented a bit on the rationale behind those numbers.
    NiñoScript.age = new Number(16); //(>^;^<)
    (Wow, I did that signature when I was 16… I'm 20 now… it's sad to see how I'm slowly getting old u.u)

Beans

I've changed the ScrollDistance to 120. Feels much better.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Triple edit: after some fiddling around I got it working, but I did some really weird stuff. I'll update this post once I work out all the kinks.

Just one question, which option would change overall sensitivity of the trackpad?

The sensitivity on my MacBook 5,1 is a TINY bit too sensitive, would like to turn that down, then I'll have near perfect trackpad settings to reflect OS X
    Last edited by Helios747; April 23rd, 2011 at 07:24 PM.

Beans

I added some rudimentary support for the MT protocol to part of the elantech kernel driver (among other changes) ( https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27442 ). It affects the newer Samsung laptops.

Your Xorg driver appears to work with it. Cheers.
    Well, at a glance anyway. I haven't yet done extensive testing.

A couple of questions:
    * These newer Samsungs (the ones for which the MT-capable part of elantech) have a single touchpad with no clickable buttons... does this mean I want your has_integrated_button() in capabilities.c to return 1? And more importantly, what's this for and what will it affect? (sorry if that's a dumb question - i'm kind of new to this touchpad stuff).

* Is two-finger click and drag (i.e. click with one finger, move other finger to drag) supposed to work with your Xorg driver? And if not, is this outside of the scope of what it should be doing; or simply not (yet) implemented?
    If it is supposed to work, any ideas why it might not be working?

Thanks, and let me know if you need any more info from me.

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast