Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Install the very latest MPlayer under Jaunty Jackalope

Beans

Re: HowTo: Install the very latest MPlayer under Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi hissyfut,

I believe this refers to the possibilities when using x264 itself from the commandline, rather than when x264 is utilised by MEncoder or FFmpeg. Have a look at your own copy as follows:

Code:
    andrew@skamandros~$ x264 --help | head -n 11
    x264 core:68 r1185 2956905
    Syntax: x264 [options] -o outfile infile [widthxheight]

Infile can be raw YUV 4:2:0 (in which case resolution is required),
      or YUV4MPEG 4:2:0 (*.y4m),
      or AVI or Avisynth if compiled with AVIS support (no).
    Outfile type is selected by filename:
     .264 -> Raw bytestream
     .mkv -> Matroska
     .mp4 -> MP4 if compiled with GPAC support (no)
    There has been a problem for some time with with gpac and x264 as can be seen in my own configuration above.

Andrew
    Does this mean that this would be compiling an mp4 encoder to not be able to output to an mp4 container if used on the commandline? If so, how would this be beneficial?

Btw: same output except for yes, which brought in new gpac and new cmake into the mix...

Beans

Hi hissyfut,

Quote Originally Posted by hissyfut View Post
    Does this mean that this would be compiling an mp4 encoder to not be able to output to an mp4 container if used on the commandline?
    Well I guess x264 is not an 'mp4 encoder' as such . It is rather a free library for encoding H264/AVC video streams. The section here:

Code:
     .264 -> Raw bytestream
     .mkv -> Matroska
    is simply referring to the capabilities of x264 when used directly from the commandline in the following fashion:

Code:
    x264 -o outfile infile
    Do you plan on using x264 in this way? If so I am afraid that I have no experience in this technique and perhaps others will weigh in with some advice...

All the best,

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Hi hissyfut,

Well I guess x264 is not an 'mp4 encoder' as such . It is rather a free library for encoding H264/AVC video streams. The section here:

Code:
     .264 -> Raw bytestream
     .mkv -> Matroska
    is simply referring to the capabilities of x264 when used directly from the commandline in the following fashion:

Code:
    x264 -o outfile infile
    Do you plan on using x264 in this way? If so I am afraid that I have no experience in this technique and perhaps others will weigh in with some advice...

All the best,

Andrew
    Thanks for your help, Andrew. I've read somewhere that using
    x264 on the commandline is the best way to encode such a stream/file. And thanks for the correction about it not being an 'mp4 encoder'.

Beans

Hi hissyfut,

Quote Originally Posted by hissyfut View Post
    I've read somewhere that using x264 on the commandline is the best way to encode such a stream/file.
    Unfortunately I will be of no use to you with this. Perhaps the Doom Forums or #x264 on Freenode?

And thanks for the correction about it not being an 'mp4 encoder'.
    Oops, did I sound a little picky there?

All the best,

Andrew

Beans

Andrew,

I wonder if you can help. I am trying to record real audio files using the standard jaunty mplayer from the repsoitory. My syntax is:

$ mplayer -playlist 2009_29_thu_03.ram -vc null -vo null -cache 1000 -ao pcm:fast:waveheader:file=womans-hour.wav

The .ram file resides on my hard disk and I have no trouble recording this for about 15 of the 60 minutes playing time, but then it bombs out. The screen output is shown below:

$ mplayer -playlist 2009_29_thu_03.ram -vc null -vo null -cache 1000 -ao pcm:fast:waveheader:file=womans-hour.wav
    MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.3.3 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (Family: 6, Model: 23, Stepping: 6)
    CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
    Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
    mplayer: could not connect to socket
    mplayer: No such file or directory
    Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio4/womanshour/womanshour_20090723.ra?start=59.5&end=988.8&BBC-UID=342a07e15c738619425f7285510f510b0537fcba603081 3424bf1496639a49ea&SSO2-UID=.
    Resolving rmv8.bbc.net.uk for AF_INET6...
    Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: rmv8.bbc.net.uk
    Resolving rmv8.bbc.net.uk for AF_INET...
    Connecting to server rmv8.bbc.net.uk[212.58.252.7]: 554...
    Cache size set to 1000 KBytes
    Cache fill: 19.20% (196608 bytes)
    REAL file format detected.
    Stream description: audio/x-pn-multirate-realaudio logical stream
    Stream mimetype: audio/x-pn-realaudio
    [real] Audio stream found, -aid 0
    Clip info:
    name: - 23 07 2009
    copyright: British Broadcasting Corporation Copyright 2009, all rights reserved.
    ================================================== ========================
    Forced audio codec: mad
    Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
    AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 44.1 kbit/3.12% (ratio: 5512->176400)
    Selected audio codec: [ffcook] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg COOK audio decoder)
    ================================================== ========================
    [AO PCM] File: womans-hour.wav (WAVE)
    PCM: Samplerate: 44100Hz Channels: Stereo Format s16le
    [AO PCM] Info: Faster dumping is achieved with -vc null -vo null -ao pcm:fast
    [AO PCM] Info: To write WAVE files use -ao pcm:waveheader (default).
    AO: [pcm] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
    Video: no video
    Starting playback...
    realrtsp: Stream EOF detected(58:30.0) 96.6% 0%
    A: 990.1 (16:30.0) of 3510.0 (58:30.0) 96.6% 0%

Exiting... (End of file)

I have tried increasing the cache but that didn't make it any better.
    Could this premature exiting be due to the limited codecs available with the standard mplayer in the jaunty repos?
    If not, do you have any idea how I can fix this or is it a case of building mplayer from source as you suggest.
    Alternatively are there any prebuilt .debs that are available for the complete mplayer?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by stansford View Post
    Alternatively are there any prebuilt .debs that are available for the complete mplayer?
    You can find a recent version of mplayer here:
    https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/testing
    Developer of SMPlayer.

Beans

Hi stansford,

Quote Originally Posted by stansford View Post
    I wonder if you can help. I am trying to record real audio files using the standard jaunty mplayer from the repsoitory. My syntax is:

Code:
    As this is not a live stream there is a slightly different syntax that might work a little better:

Code:
    mplayer -cache 2048 -bandwidth 1000000 rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio4/womanshour/womanshour_20090723.ra -vc null -vo null -ao pcm:fast:waveheader:file=womanshour_20090723.wav
    I have run this and the full program downloaded in about 10 minutes, you might achieve better speed depending on your available bandwidth.

Could this premature exiting be due to the limited codecs available with the standard mplayer in the jaunty repos?
    The MPlayer available to Jaunty and earlier is quite old now, interesingly this has at least in part been addressed in Karmic. Personally I would run a newer version, particularly if some problems have been found. But it might be well worthwhile attempting the syntax I have suggested with the repository MPlayer.

RVM has a PPA that would probably be your best bet .

All the best,

Andrew
    Last edited by andrew.46; July 31st, 2009 at 02:49 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rvm4000 View Post
    You can find a recent version of mplayer here:
    https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/testing
    Thanks for the link I'll check it out.

Beans

Hi stansford,

As this is not a live stream there is a slightly different syntax that might work a little better:

Code:
    mplayer -cache 2048 -bandwidth 1000000 rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio4/womanshour/womanshour_20090723.ra -vc null -vo null -ao pcm:fast:waveheader:file=womanshour_20090723.wav
    I have run this and the full program downloaded in about 10 minutes, you might achieve better speed depending on your available bandwidth.

The MPlayer available to Jaunty and earlier is quite old now, interesingly this has at least in part been addressed in Karmic. Personally I would run a newer version, particularly if some problems have been found. But it might be well worthwhile attempting the syntax I have suggested with the repository MPlayer.

All the best,

Andrew
    Andrew,
    Thanks very much for the help. I'll give the new syntax you suggested a go and see what happens. From looking at it I see you are using the bandwidth parameter, what does that do?

As you said you downloaded the program in 10 minutes, does using this parameter speed up the download? I thought that you could only download in real time?? Ie a 60 min prog took 60 mins to download?

On the RVM front I am looking at the link that rvm4000 gave in his post above. Can I download the .deb and just install it or do I need to first uninstall the version that is currently installed?

Thanks for your help.

Beans

Hi stansford,

Code:

All the best,

Andrew
    Hi Andrew,

OK I tried your amendments and I got the same result although quicker!
    - It downloaded the first 16 minutes and then bombed out. I also tried with the version from the ppa and this yielded the same result.

However, I have been successful in downloading by using the dumpstream method and then converting the stream.dump file to wav afterwards.

I'd be grateful though if you have any futher ideas/thoughts on why I don't seem to be able to grab more than 16/60 minutes using the original one pass method.

My version of mplayer is now:

MPlayer SVN-r29139-4.3.3 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team

thanks

Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast