Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu IRC is a real turn-off

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu IRC is a real turn-off

The BS comes at you faster on irc, so does the help, so do the hack attempts due to the fact that most users do not know how to set up a vhost. I think irc is a terrible place to send noobs.. esp. freenode which will gladly show your ip address to everyone. Just my 2 centavos.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    The BS comes at you faster on irc, so does the help, so do the hack attempts due to the fact that most users do not know how to set up a vhost. I think irc is a terrible place to send noobs.. esp. freenode which will gladly show your ip address to everyone. Just my 2 centavos.
    Fair arguments I think at times, but it is well moderated, and you can call the mods.

Never once been hacked, but I joined and have a cloak on my IP as well.

There is a windows channel #windows I have never seen anybody there have a problem with hack from freenode, does not mean it does not happen though.

You would just basically use the same user protection you would on the web there.

Large percentage of the users though that come for help might fit the newer user catagory.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You might find this (and the subsequent comments) interesting :

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/201...ays-wrong.html

A while back, Jeff Hoogland, maker of Bodhi Linux and Pinguy OS (I think) went off on the #fedora IRC channel for much the same reasons. I think what you're experiencing is what happens to human beings on the great world wide web. We get ugly (and stupid).

Jeff summed up his article this way:

"I would just like to take a moment to say to all the self proclaimed Linux help nazis out there:

You are not God's gift to your Linux help channel.

When a person asks a question, if you are not going to help - then don't. When someone seems to be asking an odd question - odds are you don't know everything about their story. If their question is truly odd, perhaps just throw a mention of warning after helping them accomplish their task.
    Needless to say I left #fedora after a few mind numbing moments and simply installed pcmanfm (which launched as super user just fine).

Whew. I apologize if you are a decent person who really tries to help (instead of criticize) in #fedora on freenode. It just seems more often than not in the four years I've been using Linux as my primary operating system I have always met with resistance in that channel."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Oh I only know it happens because I've done it so many times. In fact if we liked a target on another irc network (typically quake rizon or dalnet) then it was a huge help if we could get that user to join freenode for some made-up reason or another just so we could get their ip easily.

Just want to also add that was 6 or 7 years ago and I have since moved on to more profitable and legal ventures.

Hope I don't get infracted for saying that, but people need to know.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    You might find this (and the subsequent comments) interesting :

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/201...ays-wrong.html

A while back, Jeff Hoogland, maker of Bodhi Linux and Pinguy OS (I think) went off on the #fedora IRC channel for much the same reasons. I think what you're experiencing is what happens to human beings on the great world wide web. We get ugly (and stupid).

Jeff summed up his article this way:
    Well, it's good to know I'm in good company. I stopped using Fedora when I did an update and it uninstalled Emerald, then installed GTK Theme Manager or something. This was made all the worse because Emerald wasn't available in the repositories anymore.

Who the heck makes that sort of decision?!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nillerz View Post
    Well, it's good to know I'm in good company. I stopped using Fedora when I did an update and it uninstalled Emerald, then installed GTK Theme Manager or something. This was made all the worse because Emerald wasn't available in the repositories anymore.

Who the heck makes that sort of decision?!
    Last I checked compiz got removed from Fedora so that's normal behavior for the package manager.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C!oud View Post
    Last I checked compiz got removed from Fedora so that's normal behavior for the package manager.
    Nobody expects that drastic of a change from a routine update.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    I'd argue with you, but in my experience you're not wrong; that's the general populace of IRC. It obviously hasn't changed in the last 18 years.
    I will argue with you though. That is not normal *or* an IRC thing. There's a ton of channels on freenode where you actually feel like you're part of a community, that's just not #ubuntu's case. What the OP experienced is what keeps me away from #ubuntu for some time now, even though I'm an active freenode user. I had similar problems there, with stuck-up users (not even moderators, mind you) that think they own the land. That place is worse than #gentoo and #openbsd nowadays. And it's not like I asked how do you install X package or how do I change the desktop wallpaper. I consider myself to be quite an experienced Linux user, just not that good with Ubuntu since I'm new-ish to it.

In #ubuntu there's a 80-90% chance of getting laughed at if you're new, no matter how serious your problem is. I've tried fixing stuff atleast 10 times with their help, and only once I received actual answers (didn't help, but atleast they tried).
    Last edited by Brimwylf; July 8th, 2012 at 09:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Signal-to-noise ratio is really bad on IRC. If you've got a specific problem the best place to get a solution is here or askubuntu.com (the latter being better for the really techy stuff).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Signal-to-noise ratio is really bad on IRC. If you've got a specific problem the best place to get a solution is here or askubuntu.com (the latter being better for the really techy stuff).
    I agree. I've never used IRC and the behavior from the OP seems to mirror pretty much any higher volume IRC channel. I wouldn't let that be a turn-off to Ubuntu because I've heard the same complaints from the #debian channel. Stick with the forums, especially since forums are easily indexed by search engines.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast