Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toolbar an launcher are no where to be seen.

Beans

Question Toolbar an launcher are no where to be seen.

Hello all, I am really new to Ubuntu, and I am trying to install it on a computer running Windows XP. I downloaded it on a machine running Windows vista and I formatted my flash drive using "LiLi USB creator". I then took it over to the machine running XP and booted up on the USB. It took me over the installation procces and then told me to boot up. When I do that, it takes me to the log on screen. When I log in, I see only this:

with the mouse pointer but no toolbar and laucher. I can move the mouse around AND I can't right click. Then I get an error message telling me that "Compiz has crashed". I don't know what this means but I still tell it to relaunch. Once done that, I can right click but the toolbar and launcher are still not here. Can someone please help?
    Last edited by dlejeune; March 31st, 2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: SOLVED

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Toolbar an launcher are no where to be seen.

dlejeune; Hi ! Welcome to the forum.

Maybe perchance a bad burn ?
    As a 1st step; verify the install medium.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

If the medium is verified then I respectfully suggest to remove the ubuntu partition, and (re)install ubuntu.
    just my opinion

Beans

I'm having the exact same issue (minus the Compiz error). I don't have any icons, menus or toolbars -- nothing but the background. I realize that I can pull up the terminal using Ctrl+Alt+T but I'm not sure where to go from there. I've reinstalled Ubuntu several times.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Try installing without ticking Install Third Party Software. That way the install process will not install a proprietary video driver. You will get the open source Nouveau driver instead.

I have had installations break because of a buggy proprietary video driver. Once you get to a desktop you can try activating a proprietary video driver if that is your wish. You will find a selection to experiment with in Additional Drivers which you will find in the Dash if your using 12.04 but in System Settings>Software Sources>Additional Drivers tab.

The way to do this with an existing install is to select Recovery Mode at the Grub boot menu. At the next screen select Resume. That will load Ubuntu without activating a video driver.

In 12.04 Recovery Mode is in the list of kernels in the Grub menu but in 12.10 it is in the Advanced Options submenu. I am having to guess which version of Ubuntu you both are using.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thanks. I'm running 12.10 under VirtualBox.

Beans

Question Re: Toolbar an launcher are no where to be seen.

Thanks so much for replying. I tried verifying my install medium but when I type the commands into the terminal it just gives me error messages. I also didn't install it using the .iso file on a disk but on a flash drive. I have tried numerous methods of installing it:
    • Wubi downloaded on the computer itself
    • Wubi on a flash drive with the .iso file in the same directory
    • And finally the option of formatting my flash drive and using that as a live disk.

And after all of those I just get the same result. The reason I don't use disks is because my CD/DVD drive is broken.

Thanks so much again,
    Dlejeune
    By the way, I don't know if this will help or not but I am using the same .iso file for everything.
    Last edited by dlejeune; February 20th, 2013 at 06:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro

dlejeune;

edit: removed post- display issue not a booting issue:

Lets see if your card supports unity: Terminal code:
    Code:
    /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p <-unity 3d test
    All responses should be "yes" .

Else: we will research together for a solution.
    still try'n to help
    Last edited by Bashing-om; February 20th, 2013 at 09:17 PM. Reason: A goof up.

Beans

Wink Re: Toolbar an launcher are no where to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    dlejeune;

edit: removed post- display issue not a booting issue:

Lets see if your card supports unity: Terminal code:
    Code:
    All responses should be "yes" .

Else: we will research together for a solution.
    still try'n to help
    Thanks again but I tried and it told me:
    Code:
    bash: -unity: No such file or directory
    I have attached the screenshot below. The screenshot was taken from the computer called
    Code:
    daniel-Pad
    wich is working fine. So I got the same error message on both computers, both running the same os (ubuntu) exept one is broken and the other one is fine. Maby you misspelt the code I needed to enter? Or do I need to write:
    Code:
    sudo /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p <-unity 3d test
    instead of just
    Code:
    ?
    Thanks so much
    Dlejeune
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, dlejeune,

The command you want is just: /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p # without the: "<-unity 3d test".

Please Post, as well:
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga
    This will show both what video card you have and the drivers used and available.

When in the blank desktop Screen in 12 .10, Right Click and select 'Change Desktop Background', then the 'All Settings' Tab, then the System> Software Sources Icon, and then the Additional Drivers Tab.

Choose which video driver to install and Activate it. Reboot and report how it goes.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro

Apologize for that ...copy/paste -> haste makes waste ! Thanks bogan (again).....

continue on !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast