Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "How To" make ATI Catalyst Play Nice with Compiz - Xserver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

"How To" make ATI Catalyst Play Nice with Compiz - Xserver

How To make ATI Catalyst work with Compiz - Xorg Server
    by, HunterThomson - HowTo's that WORK !

This will install a patched Xserver so compiz will work with out problem like lag on window resize or window move.

>Ok so you need to add a new source to your repo's

>Fist open the "Software Sources" GUI

Code:
    System/Administration/Software Sources
    >Then select the tab "Third-Party Software

>Then Add... these two APT lines by clicking on the "Add..." button and cut/past them in. Add them "ONE at a Time"

Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/bryceharrington/violet/ubuntu lucid main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/bryceharrington/violet/ubuntu lucid main
    >OK good stuff, Now you just need to enter it's GPG Key

>Fist follow this link

http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/pk...FECB0&op=index

>Click the "B75FECB0" or whatever that # is at the time.

>Then it should take you to a page with the GPG/PGP key and looks like this

Code:
    -----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
    Version: SKS 1.0.10

mI0ESXU/AgEEAKoekOpV/jh1IjQHqchz9y5L/TJgzB4XCZMfu3FJO4N48e4q/tKH6fWnspKt
    04SlVtbOliEQdn95KB2UfsPIKFncHl/sAYvWBwaq8ZOkcRmTLgyJdn+T+5scDc47gnPEWF+8
    0KT3FIbhfppyH1yMuH/8a/bfZm2lDIa8SqIW5lGvABEBAAG0IkxhdW5jaHBhZCBQUEEgZm9y
    IEJyeWNlIEhhcnJpbmd0b26ItgQTAQIAIAUCSXU/AgIbAwYLCQgHAwIEFQIIAwQWAgMBAh4B
    AheAAAoJEPu0lXm3X+ywKl8D/04Zch7S8BocT9ARlPEbZAMAnq9IUSG5e0edYBY+MnD6Mt6f
    kuUjWqC+IY5PMhx9Pw/QMERWthyDZCGIjsON4lzD2P992GMPTGGuRRcC6v+gInfQn5/Vr4E1
    xtnQTHykJf/c9FB2YzQlGt4GmUDLgwfmeEwZ8N2fklfHnioJDmes
    =uWJH
    -----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
    >Now open up gedit or any text editor you like and Cut+Past in the whole key. Then save the file with any name, like NewRepoKey_1

>Back in the "Software Sources" GUI click on the "Authentication" Tab

>Then click on the "Import Key File..." button and navigate to the key you saved and click OK.

>Now click "close"

>Now take a brake and have a e-smoke.

>Now you can upgrade you system through any of the multitudes of GUI's Ubuntu preinstalls

Or just
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    Last edited by HunterThomson; May 21st, 2010 at 08:48 AM.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: "How To" make ATI Catalyst Play Nice with Compiz - Xserver

Nice HowTo, thanks for this.

I found that shameless copy on someone's blog post - glad you put a comment with a link here though!

Rob
    Rob Golding - Gold Computer Solutions - www.goldcs.co.uk

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by robgolding63 View Post
    Nice HowTo, thanks for this.

I found that shameless copy on someone's blog post - glad you put a comment with a link here though!

Rob
    Glad to hear it.

Ya, I meen I torrent a lot of stuff and I am big on Opensource... But it is just like I am not makeing money and now he is... And it's like he didn't even give me credit And it is a Google blog so now his blog is the first thing that pops up under google when before this thread was and now my thread is not even on the first page of google.

And this is not going to work forever. So it is better to just read this which I will change when things change.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans

Hi,

I solved the problem installing this patched xserver and I got no lag on maximizing or minimizing.

The problem now is in playing videos. I cannot play videos at fullscreen (I get black screen) and if I try to increase video size I lose image and player (VLC) hungs with CPU 100%.

Anyone has a fix for this?
    Last edited by josepcoves; June 8th, 2009 at 09:18 AM. Reason: misspell

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by josepcoves View Post
    Hi,

I solved the problem installing this patched xserver and I got no lag on maximizing or minimizing.

The problem now is in playing videos. I cannot play videos at fullscreen (I get black screen) and if I try to increase video size I lose image and player (VLC) hungs with CPU 100%.

Anyone has a fix for this?
    Hum, I never had that problem. Dose that only happen when compiz is running or is is all the time?

Also, can you post your xorg.conf file. You can find it by doing this.

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Also, what card do you have?
    Last edited by HunterThomson; June 9th, 2009 at 03:27 AM.

Beans

I love you! Life is so much better with this fix.

I had lag with all kinds of operations on my ATI video laptop. Now it's all gone. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nilbus View Post
    I love you! Life is so much better with this fix.

I had lag with all kinds of operations on my ATI video laptop. Now it's all gone. Thanks!
    No problem.
    Really I read this on the bug listing on launchpad but it took me weeks to find it so I figured it would help people out to write this step by step and put it on the more high profile ubuntuforums. I know I always look here first and launchpad last. Also, workarounds like this tend to get lost in the shuffle in launchpad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Smile Re: "How To" make ATI Catalyst Play Nice with Compiz - Xserver

Thanks. Thanks. Thanks a million. I have just finished installing Ubuntu 9.04 on my brand new extra shiny HP DV5 lappy, and after getting sound to output through the speakers i really wasn't up for another challenge. Your post made it simple to stop Compiz from lagging and there is no graphics corruption at all.

I will get back to you if i experience issues with watching video like other users have had.

Specs: Athlon64 X2 QL-62 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, ATi HD3450 512MB, IDT HD Audio reported as STAC92xx, 160GB HDD. Great machine, though a bit warm, and in need of an extra battery as it barely runs for 1.5hrs.

Edit: The ATi drivers do play nice with Compiz, but apparently they're the only thing that does. With Compiz enabled all games exhibit abnormal behaviour - flickering screens in OpenGL based games and menus scrolling on their own in SuperTux. I'll just keep the eye candy turned off for now. I don't know whether it has to do with the patch or Compiz itself, as i have not uninstalled the patch, just disabled Compiz, and all games i've tried run just fine like this.
    Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; June 20th, 2009 at 01:40 AM.

Beans

Thank you!

Catalyst 9.6 driver
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670

The lag when resizing or restoring a minimized window is gone!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
    Thanks. Thanks. Thanks a million. I have just finished installing Ubuntu 9.04 on my brand new extra shiny HP DV5 lappy, and after getting sound to output through the speakers i really wasn't up for another challenge. Your post made it simple to stop Compiz from lagging and there is no graphics corruption at all.

I will get back to you if i experience issues with watching video like other users have had.

Specs: Athlon64 X2 QL-62 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, ATi HD3450 512MB, IDT HD Audio reported as STAC92xx, 160GB HDD. Great machine, though a bit warm, and in need of an extra battery as it barely runs for 1.5hrs.

Edit: The ATi drivers do play nice with Compiz, but apparently they're the only thing that does. With Compiz enabled all games exhibit abnormal behaviour - flickering screens in OpenGL based games and menus scrolling on their own in SuperTux. I'll just keep the eye candy turned off for now. I don't know whether it has to do with the patch or Compiz itself, as i have not uninstalled the patch, just disabled Compiz, and all games i've tried run just fine like this.
    I had that same problem in Ubuntu. I am using Archlinux now. I too thought it had something to do with the Catalyst but then I had no problem in Archlinux. DanaG posted this in responce to my talking about this problem.

DanaG
    Oh yeah, that "acts like joydown is pressed": try blacklisting lis3lv02d -- that's the driver that presents the accelerometer as a joystick. By default, the calibration has the X and Y axes swapped; I had to put this in my /etc/rc.local:
    jscal -u 3,1,0,2,0 /dev/input/js0 2>/dev/null || true
    I don't know if your laptop also has an accelerometer but that may be the problem.

Therad:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1166667

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast