Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: itunes

Beans

itunes

Has anyone found a way to run iTunes on Ubuntu 9.04 without errors? This is the only thing holding me back from fully converting to Linux. I have an iPhone and I need iTunes to work Pls. help!!!

Beans

Re: itunes

I don't know about that, but take a look at these if you haven't done so already:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When I was using iTunes with Linux, I used VirtualBox. Install winxp on there along with iTunes. works just as well.

If you just want to update music, Songbird is great.

http://getsongbird.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    When I was using iTunes with Linux...
    What I do as well. Works a treat. Not totally getting away from the evil MS but keeping it locked in a cage in a corner where it can't do no harm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by ReddogOne View Post
    What I do as well. Works a treat. Not totally getting away from the evil MS but keeping it locked in a cage in a corner where it can't do no harm
    Have you tried running it in WINE?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: itunes

I've found that the best solution is to drop ALL software that is MS based including the "Workarounds, ie, Wine, VB, etc) I have had very good success finding alternates that are native to Ubuntu. Try this one. It works quite well.

http://banshee-project.org/

T

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

iTunes doesn't work in WINE (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=1347) but as suggested you could use VirtualBox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DLG102282 View Post
    Have you tried running it in WINE?
    Yeah! Pants! Sure people can get it working with a bit of work but life is too short.

Like the concept of WINE and wish it did work but I haven't the time to hack or contribute to the project so the one stop VirtualBox solution is the way for me.

Beans

i too have the same problem,, i have an ipod touch, and tried all gtkpod,banshee,songbird, but those dont detect my ipod,, why is this hapening???

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shashikejayatunge View Post
    i too have the same problem,, i have an ipod touch, and tried all gtkpod,banshee,songbird, but those dont detect my ipod,, why is this hapening???
    What version of Ubuntu are you using? There was a known issue with 9.10 switching to device-kits to facilitate mounting and identification of ipods. So, Banshee, songbird and a few others had their ipod support broken.

There are a few workarounds for this, I am still using Banshee with my ipod. It syncs everything including playcounts & ratings. Only a couple of notes to mind, it syncs one-way - from your playlist to the ipod. It's not bi-directional like iTunes. But, in my quest for an itunes replacement (that didn't require installing an entire OS) I've found Banshee to be the closest thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast