Page 143 of 254 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193243 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 2537

Thread: Firefox +1 Mega Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Firefox 4, 5 & Beyond Mega Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SoFl W View Post
    I think they are large also, but I thought at one time there was an "about:config" setting for tab size.
    There was a about:config setings for it.
    Maybe its still working but it was removed in Firefox 4.
    Browser.tabs.tabMinWidth - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
    Quote Originally Posted by kb.mozillazine.org
    This pref has been removed as part of the Firefox 4.0 theme work.
    I'm a noob and lovin' it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by in·ter·punct View Post
    When I view a non blank page's information in Firefox 6, I get a spike in CPU and Firefox fades out shortly afterwards. I then have to force quit to resume working. The View Page Info window doesn't appear unless I wait quite a bit.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Press Ctrl+T to open a new tab, then type http://ubuntuforums.org/ in the address bar and hit Enter
    2. Press Ctrl+I to View Page Info
    3. Watch Firefox fade out and CPU usage spike

I did a quick search and all I got were some older reports. Is anyone else experiencing this?
    Have you tried to reproduce the problem in safe mode?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I need help going from Firefox3.6 to the latest version

I still consider my self a new Linux user because any time I run into a detour, I come here for help, and the friendly people here have never failed me yet (THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING).

I'm currently running Jaunty and really don't want to upgrade for a simple reason... It works! The only thing I'm having a little trouble understanding is upgrading Firefox/Shiretoko? Doesn't matter which one I use, they both say that I need to upgrade to the newest version of Firefox if I want to access a website like Yahoo mail.

It says that I'm running Firefox 3.6 (even if I'm opening the Shiretoko web browser). If I do the manual download, it saves as a tar.bz2 and opens in a package manager? I don't know what to do past that because I'm afraid that I might screw things up to where I don't have any browser at all.

I've poked around the forums a little, but everything that I'm finding is for Maverick. I have no problem with Maverick on my desktop, but my laptop like Jaunty better for reasons that escape me. Can someone point me to a tutorial on how to install Firefox 6 point what ever on Jaunty 9.04?

Without you and your help, Linux wouldn't so great, and I thank you all very much!

Beans

Re: I need help going from Firefox3.6 to the latest version

The only thing I can think of is to use PPAs.
    This might break your system, though, so back up and use at your own risk.

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/firefox-stable
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install firefox
    The 'sudo apt-get install firefox' should prompt it to update firefox.

Beans

S2UIRR3L,

For Lucid, Maverick, and Natty you can use the Firefox stable PPA, see https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+archive/firefox-stable. However, it doesn't seem to support versions older than Lucid, so as IWantFroyo mentioned it might not work on Jaunty.

So, I recommend doing manual install from mozilla's website. The .tar.bz2 file is an archive, you can extract it like you would extract a .zip file. Try right-click and "Extract Here". Now you should see a folder called firefox, and in there you should see an executable file called firefox.

EDIT: Here's a tutorial with more details, from the first post in the mega thread: http://www.webgapps.org/tutorials/fi...other-versions
    In your case, scroll down to the "Manual Download from Mozilla" installation method.
    Last edited by ShadowMage; August 24th, 2011 at 07:01 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by ITC View Post
    There was a about:config setings for it.
    Maybe its still working but it was removed in Firefox 4.
    Browser.tabs.tabMinWidth - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
    No I tried, although if you upgraded the entries are still in about:config they no longer work.
    Creating "/home/YOUR-USER-NAME/.mozilla/firefox/A-BUNCH-OF-LETTERS.default/chrome/userChrome.css" and entering the following code does work.

Code:
    .tabbrowser-tab[fadein]:not([pinned]) {
       min-width: 75px !important;
       max-width: 150px !important;
       }
    seems to work. I don't like the fade in, but if I remove it the new tabs keep opening up to the right of where ever the last tab was, leaving a blank space if there is no longer a tab there.
    Last edited by SoFl W; August 24th, 2011 at 07:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What I want to do is get rid of Shiretoko and the existing Firefox browsers all together and just install Firefox 6.0 only.

First off, I don't know where to extract the tar.bz2 thing.
    Second, I wouldn't know how to do it if I need root permissions?

I've tried extracting the file to my user home file and leaving it there (I'm the only user of this laptop, no one else logs into it or uses it). It says that I don't have permissions or something?

I'm not very good with Terminal and would have to cut/copy/paste a step by step thing... I just don't know?

Beans
    Distro

This sounds really interesting:

From: http://www.conceivablytech.com/9058/...s-omnibox-sync

Mozilla’s Firefox team appears to have adjusted its pace to the new rapid release cycle and is working on a wave of new features that should make the browser race much more interesting again. Among the most interesting features are the previously covered Electrolysis as well as WebAPI and an integration of Google’s SPDY protocol. Google isn’t standing still either and is evolving the Chrome interface and recently added Omnibox syncing.

SPDY (pronounced "speedy") is a TCP-based application-level protocol for transporting web content. It is proposed by Google and is being developed as one of their Chromium open-source projects. The SPDY white paper states that it is intended to "augment," rather than replace, HTTP.

The name "SPDY" is not an acronym. It comes from the word "SPeeDY" and represents speed through compression, which is one of the project's key goals.

The goal of SPDY is to reduce web page load time. This is achieved by prioritizing and multiplexing the transfer of several files so that only one connection per client is required. All transmissions are TLS encrypted and gzip compressed by design (in contrast to HTTP, where the headers are not compressed). Moreover, servers may hint or even push content instead of awaiting individual requests for each resource of a web page.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; August 24th, 2011 at 09:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by S2UIRR3L View Post
    What I want to do is get rid of Shiretoko and the existing Firefox browsers all together and just install Firefox 6.0 only.

First off, I don't know where to extract the tar.bz2 thing.
    Second, I wouldn't know how to do it if I need root permissions?

I've tried extracting the file to my user home file and leaving it there (I'm the only user of this laptop, no one else logs into it or uses it). It says that I don't have permissions or something?

I'm not very good with Terminal and would have to cut/copy/paste a step by step thing... I just don't know?
    You can extract the tar.bz2 to your home and simply launch the firefox file inside it.

See http://www.webgapps.org/tutorials/fi...other-versions

If you remove Firefox, it will probably install another browser in it's place. So just leave it there. It won't hurt.

You might want to change your launcher to point to the new Firefox location.

You don't have permission to extract or to execute?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    This sounds really interesting:
    Ooh nice. I'm rooting for Mozilla in this battle.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Page 143 of 254 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193243 ... LastLast