Thread: Windows 7, services stop running

Beans

Windows 7, services stop running

I have system76 gezelle professional laptop. It's the older model with the gtx560. I am trying to use vpn cisco client to connect to a vpn and logmein hamachi to set up a private virtual lan so I can play lan games with my friend. These two programs were working fine initially, until it started having intermittent problems with launching their services. I sometimes still decides to work, but I feel like it's a problem with drivers conflicting or something like that. When I try to launch either service the error says "windows could not start ... service on local computer. Error 1053: the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.". Some help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Windows 7, services stop running

Do you have to use Hamachi for networked gaming?
    Some games have multiplayer features built in and the ability to connect to them and play on them without using something like Hamachi (Minecraft is my favorite example of this).
    But, I suspect that it is the developers that are at fault here.
    Windows 7 does a much better job than Vista and XP at getting drivers, so I doubt that is an issue.
    I would try contacting the developers first.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans

Actually I think I am experiencing a bigger problem, and the above mentioned are just the symptoms. I think that NET framework or something related to that is broken. I started my laptop this morning and I was not able to open any programs, control panel, internet, or task manager. I restarted the pc a couple of times and the problem was gone. This has happened before, where none of the programs load up at start up and nothing opens. I did get some net framework error. I restored windows 7 to some earlier point and re installed framework, but this problem reoccurred this morning.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by matase View Post
    Actually I think I am experiencing a bigger problem, and the above mentioned are just the symptoms. I think that NET framework or something related to that is broken. I started my laptop this morning and I was not able to open any programs, control panel, internet, or task manager. I restarted the pc a couple of times and the problem was gone. This has happened before, where none of the programs load up at start up and nothing opens. I did get some net framework error. I restored windows 7 to some earlier point and re installed framework, but this problem reoccurred this morning.
    System Restore doesn't work? Crap just got real. When is the last time you did a virus scan?
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans

It only does this sometimes.I have to restart a couple of times to get it going, which is a totally unhealthy method. I am doing a virus scan as I am writing this, but it's almost done and no viruses found. What could be another cause of this problem?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by matase View Post
    It only does this sometimes.I have to restart a couple of times to get it going, which is a totally unhealthy method. I am doing a virus scan as I am writing this, but it's almost done and no viruses found. What could be another cause of this problem?
    What are you using to scan? I use Malware Bytes, Spybot S&D, and MSE.
    Also, I take it you kept Windows 7 on auto-defrag? If not, you might be experiencing file fragmentation.