Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: [HOWTO] abcde

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: [HOWTO] abcde

Hi,

ABCDE has somehow stopped working properly on my old desktop machine, running Crunchbang presently. The process stops after ripping the CD tracks with cdparanoia, without the encoding phase. That's not a big problem, actually, and fixing it can wait — I can always convert the wave files with oggenc, flac or lame. However, I would like to know if and how I can retrieve the CDDB information from the cddbread.1 file so that I would not have to add the tags manually (with Easytag, for instance). I decided to make both flac and small ogg copies of the original wav's of an album, and I may be using both ogg and flac on different devices (e.g. leaving the flacs on the big HDD and copying the tiny oggs onto my daughter's Sansa player); now I'm not sure how I could take an advantage of the tag information available in the CDDB file(s) already present in the ~/abcde.870a2f0a directory.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Oh, by the way, the errors file in the mentioned directory states the following:
    Code:
    encodetrack-ogg-01: returned code 1: nice -n 10 oggenc 8 -o /home/piraja/abcde.870a2f0a/track01.ogg /home/piraja/abcde.870a2f0a/track01.wav
    Last edited by Piraja; March 1st, 2009 at 09:11 PM.
    I never use smilies, but there are exceptions that prove the rule [Hey, how do I disable showing colon & parenthesis as an emoticon in my signature?]
    Now playing: Last.fm

Beans
    Distro

OK, I dug up some information on the mysterious "nice"ness (see linux.com on this) and will try what happens if I set encoding "nice"ness to zero... It's an old desktop, anyway, and encoding to compressed formats is extremely CPU hungry. So, let's see if I allow ABCDE to be less nice, i.e. more rude (do you native speakers say "ruder"?)... Below you see what I find in the default .abcde.conf before uncommenting and changing the "ENCNICE" value:

Code:
    # Specify 'nice'ness of the encoder, the CD reader and the distmp3 proc.
    # This is a relative 'nice'ness (that is, if the parent process is at a
    # nice level of 12, and the ENCNICE is set to 3, then the encoder will
    # run with an absolute nice value of 15. Note also, that setting these
    # to be empty will result in some default niceness increase (4 in tcsh
    # and 10 using the bsdutils' nice).
    #ENCNICE=10
    #READNICE=10
    #DISTMP3NICE=10
    Report, 35 mins later: "ENCNICE=0" had no effect on the problem. The file /home/piraja/abcde.2d0f7816/errors reads as follows:
    Code:
    encodetrack-ogg-01: returned code 1: nice -n 0 oggenc 8 -o /home/piraja/abcde.2d0f7816/track01.ogg /home/piraja/abcde.2d0f7816/track01.wav
    Last edited by Piraja; March 2nd, 2009 at 10:04 AM. Reason: See "Report" at the end.
    I never use smilies, but there are exceptions that prove the rule [Hey, how do I disable showing colon & parenthesis as an emoticon in my signature?]

Beans
    Distro

I continue for another bit these ramblings — maybe I should create a blog for these instead of burdening Ubuntu Forums with these remarks? Hmm...

Anyway, this is what I used for encoding some WAV's that were left as orphans by the broken ABCDE ("broken" means here perhaps just that I have configured it erroneously):

Code:
    piraja@chittychittybangbang:~$ flac --tag-from-file=1=/home/piraja/abcde.2d0f7816/cddbchoices /home/piraja/abcde.2d0f7816/*.wav
    This produced metatags to the flac files. Yet, metatags are not shown by e.g. VLC in its General tab, as you see comparing the screenshots below.

In case I get this sorted out myself, I'll let you know...

Beans
    Distro

I thought it would be fair to report that I got the problem sorted out with ABCDE — there was some problem in my ~/.abcde.conf, but I'm afraid I cannot specify which was the actual misconfigured part, since I went through the whole file and changed quite a few details. Anyway, it works great once again.

Beans

This thread made me sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo
    Happy!:

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Piraja View Post
    Dear all,

I'd like to submit CDDB information for an album whose details I had to edit manually, but "cddb-tool send <filename>" returns just

Code:
    /usr/bin/cddb-tool: 242: mail: not found
    I haven't really been able to dig up information about this feature of abcde (cddb-tool is, anyway, "a backend tool for abcde").
    you do not have the command mail on your system.
    Code:
    nick@bilbo:~$ mail
    The program 'mail' can be found in the following packages:
     * heirloom-mailx
     * mailutils
    Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>
    bash: mail: command not found

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    you do not have the command mail on your system
    Thank you – the answer to my question was lying right under our noses, as it seems. Actually it has been a long time since I last used ABCDE. I have switched to Rubyripper's CLI version. I'm no longer using Ubuntu, either, but CrunchBang Linux instead – and "mail" is indeed one of the programs that come by default in #!.

Beans

Re: [HOWTO] abcde: Using Multiple CDROM drives

Does anybody know whether/how abcde can use multiple drives. I want to rip on a computer with two cdrom drives and have each drive ripping at the same time.

emk

Beans

Hi emkamu,

Quote Originally Posted by emkamau View Post
    Does anybody know whether/how abcde can use multiple drives. I want to rip on a computer with two cdrom drives and have each drive ripping at the same time.
    abcde can select different cdrom devices with the -d option:

Code:
    -d [devicename | filename]
         CD-ROM block device that  contains  audio  tracks  to  be  read.
         Alternatively, a single-track flac file with embedded cuesheet.
    I don't believe that the same instance of abcde can run from 2 devices though. Perhaps try opening abcde twice using the -d option to open the 2nd cdrom device?

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi emkamu,

abcde can select different cdrom devices with the -d option:

Code:
    -d [devicename | filename]
         CD-ROM block device that  contains  audio  tracks  to  be  read.
         Alternatively, a single-track flac file with embedded cuesheet.
    I don't believe that the same instance of abcde can run from 2 devices though. Perhaps try opening abcde twice using the -d option to open the 2nd cdrom device?

Andrew
    You can run as many instances of abcde as you like. I only have one cd drive, but I can run
    Code:
    abcde -x
    in one terminal. Once the cd pops out I know abcde has finished ripping, although it will still be encoding etc. In another terminal I can run it again and it will rip the next cd. I could do this as many times as I liked. Although the ripping and encoding will slow down, at least I can set it up to do a lot of ripping before I go to bed.

So I see no reason not to run

Code:
    abcde -d /dev/cdrom0
    in one terminal and
    Code:
    abcde -d /dev/cdrom1
    in another.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast