Thread: Ubuntu 11.10 refuses to use themes

Beans

Ubuntu 11.10 refuses to use themes

Title says it all: I can't use themes. The window borders change theme when I change the configuration options, but not the buttons, etc. I have tried all the tips I have found, I've removed config directories, and yet after I restart, it is still the same: I can't use a theme!

Related to this other thread of mine: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1871987. I thought I would start a new thread so people don't have to read through it to get to my current issue...
    “So this SEO copywriter walks into a bar, grill, pub, public house, Irish bar, bartender, drinks, beer, wine, liquor”

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 refuses to use themes

Screenshots didn't upload for some reason, here they are:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “So this SEO copywriter walks into a bar, grill, pub, public house, Irish bar, bartender, drinks, beer, wine, liquor”

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alquery View Post
    Screenshots didn't upload for some reason, here they are:
    Since Gnome 3 doesn't use GTK2 themes anymore, I was also having quite a bit of trouble trying to use the newer themes for Gnome 3 too. I don't know of a solution to get the themes working at this time.

Beans

Hey Al,

did you try moving the themes to /usr/share/themes and also checking they permissions?

You can check here too. Seems the same issue (caused by unity greeter).

If you think it's worth, I would do as they say, backup my .config and delete it, to see if it solves the problem.

Regards,
    Carl

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by carlbastos View Post
    Hey Al,

did you try moving the themes to /usr/share/themes and also checking they permissions?

You can check here too. Seems the same issue (caused by unity greeter).

If you think it's worth, I would do as they say, backup my .config and delete it, to see if it solves the problem.

Regards,
    Carl
    Checking the permissions was one of the first things I did, but it seems that that's not the problem. I've also deleted all of my config files, but I'll try again. Hopefully just deleting .config/user/dconf will fix it.

It's definitely caused by running unity-greeter --test-mode, I did the exact same thing right before the problem started. Is there a bug report for this?

Beans

...and, due to some black magic, deleting the config again and logging out fixed it. Heh. Well, good to know that my UI wasn't permanently stuck in Windows 98 mode. Marking as solved, but somebody can post a link to a bug report if they find one.

Beans

I found the solution in this (also solved) thread The dconf key that you need to change is: org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings.active.
    Just check it and you should be good to go! I also answered the askubuntu question, hopefully it should be accepted in the near future.