View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 53 of 176 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I installed 7.10 to dual boot with Xandros 4.0. Live CD worked great to partition HD and install was smooth. However, on reboot, GRUB did not show the Xandros partition. Fixed by using live GpartEd at boot and now use LILO as boot manager as it correctly recognises all partitions and OS.

Printer was a challenge, but resolved. Still can't connect to internet. The Xandros Network Connection wizard is far easier, more effective and intuitive to ex Microsoft exiles.

Gnome Eye much better for seeing photographs on the system than is the Xandros equivalent. Stoked to have Gimp 2.4!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Percy View Post
    I installed 7.10 to dual boot with Xandros 4.0. Live CD worked great to partition HD and install was smooth. However, on reboot, GRUB did not show the Xandros partition. Fixed by using live GpartEd at boot and now use LILO as boot manager as it correctly recognises all partitions and OS.

Printer was a challenge, but resolved. Still can't connect to internet. The Xandros Network Connection wizard is far easier, more effective and intuitive to ex Microsoft exiles.

Gnome Eye much better for seeing photographs on the system than is the Xandros equivalent. Stoked to have Gimp 2.4!
    Do you have a WiFi card or ground.

Also, be weary of installing .rpm files on Xandros. It says it supports it, but it really badly installs them.

Beans

It tuned out very good. The installation and upgrade. There were some issues but I have a laptop also a0nd and thus I can surf the net for the answers specially that Installation for dual boot was a little tricky... "GRUB" and all that.

I installed Ubuntu on the 2nd hardrive but when I removed it my win XP would not boot without the 2nd hd. That does happen with windows as long as you specify which is the boot drive in the bios. I had to fix the MBR then re-install Ubuntu. I could have just as easily recovered by recopying my back up clone but I had to find something about "grub" which windows does not use.

I hope grub can be modified so that it would boot on that drive where it is installed if it can not find the 2nd hard drive and/or partition.

The greatest tool is the synaptics package manager. I have forgotten the DOS method and I am not familiar with the linux commands. SPM is just great.

A UBuntu convert,
    Froy

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by froy02 View Post
    It tuned out very good. The installation and upgrade. There were some issues but I have a laptop also a0nd and thus I can surf the net for the answers specially that Installation for dual boot was a little tricky... "GRUB" and all that.

I installed Ubuntu on the 2nd hardrive but when I removed it my win XP would not boot without the 2nd hd. That does happen with windows as long as you specify which is the boot drive in the bios. I had to fix the MBR then re-install Ubuntu. I could have just as easily recovered by recopying my back up clone but I had to find something about "grub" which windows does not use.

I hope grub can be modified so that it would boot on that drive where it is installed if it can not find the 2nd hard drive and/or partition.

The greatest tool is the synaptics package manager. I have forgotten the DOS method and I am not familiar with the linux commands. SPM is just great.

A UBuntu convert,
    Froy
    The Super Grub Disc allows you to restore your Windows MBR.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i'm having problem in my upgrade process through the update manager... it always stop at the 2nd stage (modifying the software channel) stated "MD5Sum Mismatch"... i dont know what should i do till now.. i'm just waiting and hoping on my ShipIt DVD delivery...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Did a clean install of 7.10 and ran into one big issue. Now my display cannot run at 1280x1024 or higher if I want to have a refresh of more than 60Hz. This is unacceptable. I think this means a reinstall of Feisty if I cannot fix it.

Beans

the first day it came out i tried to update thru update-manager and on the "preparing software" stage i got:

Failed to fetch http://people.ubuntu.com/~doko/OOo2/./Packages.gz 404 Not Found

and nearly a week later i still get the same message. i tried googling the error message (nada),along with parts of the error message (got an ubuntu forum, but in german! doh!) and pasting that url into my browser did indeed yield a 404 (although it makes the '/./' in the url disappear when i try to point there...). Methinks something isn't there which is supposed to be there? but apparently it's working for other people, so theirs isn't looking for this mystery file while mine is? oh ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by AceRimmer View Post
    Did a clean install of 7.10 and ran into one big issue. Now my display cannot run at 1280x1024 or higher if I want to have a refresh of more than 60Hz. This is unacceptable. I think this means a reinstall of Feisty if I cannot fix it.
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by btbaron View Post
    the first day it came out i tried to update thru update-manager and on the "preparing software" stage i got:

Failed to fetch http://people.ubuntu.com/~doko/OOo2/./Packages.gz 404 Not Found

and nearly a week later i still get the same message. i tried googling the error message (nada),along with parts of the error message (got an ubuntu forum, but in german! doh!) and pasting that url into my browser did indeed yield a 404 (although it makes the '/./' in the url disappear when i try to point there...). Methinks something isn't there which is supposed to be there? but apparently it's working for other people, so theirs isn't looking for this mystery file while mine is? oh ubuntu.
    It doesn't exist, and by doesn't exist, I mean it really isn't a valid directory. It was probably changed recently.

Repo owners problem, not Ubuntu's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Arrow Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Hi all,

I am quite new to Linux, and Ubuntu, only been using for a few months. I upgraded to the new 7.10 without any problems at all.

I did the upgrade using the Alternate ISO. 7.04 recognised it immediately. Upgrading from the ISO went without even the slightest problem, including downloading an extra 190 Mb the installer said I required.

The PC is an old 1.7 Celeron, with around 750 Mb ram, and an old Nvidea Gforce 5200 FX PCI graphic card. I use this PC for torrents.

The only real problem I have experienced with 7.10 has been burning CD's with the old CD burner in the PC. 7.10 does not like this burner for some reason ( 7.04 had no issues with it). I assume the CD burner is a bit too old now. I put in a newer LG DVD/CD combo burner, and no more CD burning problems.

Apart from this slight CD issue, everything I have tried with 7.10 has worked without problems. 10/10 to the Ubuntu team for a first rate Linux Distro. Now its time to put Ubuntu on my P4 3.0 machine, and try out the new visual effects.

Page 53 of 176 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast