Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux share at record high.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Linux share at record high.

i really doubt linux is that high, allow me to explain

the w3c site says
    From the statistics below, collected from W3Schools' log-files over a period of five years...
    linux tends to be used by people who know computers really well, or at least above average computer usage knowledge. they may know html, know of it and wish to know more, or looking around and stopped by the site as it's on a tech thing, html and such...
    for other stats sites they go off of the toolbars.. counters

not trying to be pessimistic... but the teriible thing on OS stats is it very hard to get the right numbers on everyone
    Someday we'll hit the human carrying capacity. And the band will just play on. -Me

I'm trying PHP, so my code can probably be labelled "bad and insecure"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Its long way for linux to dominate desktops.Windows sells share has never dropped below 90%.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

About a year ago, the release of 9.04 saw a major influx of over 40m unique IP addresses hitting the primary repos. The sample data was taken over four days, two prior and two after the release date. Shuttleworth talks about it in one of the IRC logs somewhere. That's just Ubuntu, and only information hitting one server. I have no doubts in my mind that the Linux share is higher than 3%.

On another note, I work as a freelance support tech to various companies who use Linux... about 40% of the computers are Ubuntu, but it's also the most preferred for the desktop systems of these small companies I help support. There are a few users who have no clue what operating system they are actually using, but they do all their work on Linux. One person even said "I thought apple computers came with the Safari browser".

So to note, there are people out there who use Linux every day as a primary office computer and don't even realize what they are using. I personally know just as many local Linux users as I know people who have iphones.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Just a note- out of the people I know well, over a dozen of them use Linux. So, if you go by the 'out of the people I know, I'm skeptical' mindset, I would say Linux marketshare is around 40 percent in my immediate observations. That's mainly because I'm good at showing it off as well as informing people of the benefits and the few small things Linux can't do just yet (not many).

There's no way to tell just how many users there are, but I've estimated in several instances based on distros that DO phone home and based on their popularity, we clearly have around the same amount as OS X. No official numbers, though, so people won't believe it even if 50 percent of consumers start using it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    Except that the 1% number comes from a reasonably well-balanced study and the 4.8% comes from a site that is geared specifically to developers. Our internal server is accessed by Linux machines 100% of the time; does that mean that everybody uses Linux?

I guarantee you that desktop Linux is well south of 2%.
    No the 1% figure is from a source that is very windows centric, it is far from representative of a well balanced cross section. If you know anything about statistical analysis, you would know that the data set needs to be data set needs to be a representative sample of the the whole population. if I took a survey of support for gay marriage in San Francisco, California, it would look much different than if I took it in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The best source for a neutral data set would be the usage logs from google, but they are not available. However, Wikipedia would be a reasonably representative sample of the entire internet, and their data is available.

Their data is as follows:
    Code:
    Windows	3,233,130	86.53%
    Mac OS X  254,100	6.80%
    Linux	   67,070	1.80%
    iPhone	   59,828	1.60%
    BlackBerry 15,267	0.41%
    Symbian	    6,974	0.19%
    iPad		3,921	0.10%
    DoCoMo	      498	0.01%
    SunOS	      375	0.01%
    FreeBSD	      309	0.01%
    OpenBSD	       33	0.00%
    Total	3,736,217	100%
    This however needs to be adjusted for UserAgent spoofing. I don't have a reasonable data set for this, but given that more than 80% of the Linux Users I know spoof their UA string, I would guess that 10% would be a good conservative estimate. This would bring the total market share to about 2% all -users.
    2B||!2B=?
    -William Shakespeare

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleClicker View Post
    The best source for a neutral data set would be the usage logs from google, but they are not available. However, Wikipedia would be a reasonably representative sample of the entire internet, and their data is available.
    I mostly agree, although its possible that Linux users use Wikipedia more than others.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Even Microsoft internal analysis shows that Linux share is close to that of MacOS X.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

record high here too:
    http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

all the distros are getting better but...

i think it's ubuntu's fault for the sudden increase
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    I mostly agree, although its possible that Linux users use Wikipedia more than others.
    I don't know about that, I know plenty of students who use it, and not a single one on Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Just imagine I am one of the 1.8% who have switch to Linux and also contribute to the Linux market share. Still I am promoting Linux to my tech friend and keep up with the trend.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast