Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do we auto-hide the top menu of the default Ubuntu 13.10 desktop?

Beans

How do we auto-hide the top menu of the default Ubuntu 13.10 desktop?

I've easily enabled the auto-hide feature of the side launcher, so, now I just need to enable the auto-hide feature of the top menu.

But how?
    Last edited by Damico; January 25th, 2014 at 09:13 AM.

Beans

Re: For privacy, how do we auto-hide the top menu of the default Ubuntu 13.10 desktop

Why don't you just use a more appropriate distro? Or do you have some other motive?

Beans

Re: For privacy, how do we auto-hide the top menu of the default Ubuntu 13.10 desktop

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Why don't you just use a more appropriate distro? Or do you have some other motive?
    I appreciate the response, but I don't understand the question.
    I asked my friends what Linux distro to use for a basic desktop user, and they said Ubuntu.
    So, I installed the latest Ubuntu.
    I'm a basic Linux user.
    I have the same needs everyone else has, which, for example, is why I seal my envelopes before I put them in the snail mail, just like everyone else does.
    But, this doesn't need to be a privacy question.

It's simply a question of how to set the top menu to auto hide.

I'll ask in the desktop section.
    So, is there a way to delete this entire thread?
    Last edited by Damico; January 25th, 2014 at 09:14 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: How do we auto-hide the top menu of the default Ubuntu 13.10 desktop?

Thread moved to Desktop Environments.

As you've edited out your privacy concerns from the OP, I've moved the thread for you. You can't delete threads/posts; we don't unless they contravene the Code of Conduct. If you want a thread of yours closed or moved, you can use the report post button in your own post to send a request to the staff area.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

A "more appropriate distro" meaning one with a desktop environment that can be more easily changed to your needs.

I also am a basic desktop user and find gnome-classic desktop meets my needs (and the panels will auto-hide). It can be added to your current install.

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applicat...y/gnome-panel/

Then reboot and when you get to your login window click on the icon in that window and choose your desktop environment (try no-effects).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Damico View Post
    I've easily enabled the auto-hide feature of the side launcher, so, now I just need to enable the auto-hide feature of the top menu.

But how?
    The top panel in Unity, the default Ubuntu interface, is not intended to be hidden.

Several other interfaces are available for Ubuntu: Same underlying code and system, different GUI on top. To start, here's Xubuntu: http://xubuntu.org; here's Lubuntu: http://lubuntu.net; and here is Kubuntu: http://kubuntu.org.

Another popular interface is the Mate desktop: http://mate-desktop.org/. There are instructions there for installation on Ubuntu. Mate is also used by the popular Linux Mint distribution (http://linuxmint.com), which is also built on a Ubuntu base. Linux Mint also offers its own Cinnamon interface.

I believe each of those interfaces allow panels to be, optionally, hidden. Live images are available for each, meaning that you can burn an image to DVD or a USB stick, boot it, run it and check it out, without interfering with the system that is installed on your machine. (Will run slower, though, espcially off a DVD.)

All of these interfaces are also available on many other Linux distributions. The advantage of using something based on Ubuntu (known as an "Ubuntu derivative") is that you get access to the software in Ubuntu's repositories, the same support for multimedia, and the same quality of font rendering on screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Expanding on what buzzingrobot said, the top panel is not only the indicator panel it is also the global menu bar. It cannot autohide.

Here's some background to it. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MenuBar

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    It cannot autohide.
    Well, that answers the question as to why I can't autohide it.
    Can I remove it easily?
    And then put it back when it's needed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Damico View Post
    Well, that answers the question as to why I can't autohide it.
    Can I remove it easily?
    And then put it back when it's needed?
    Nope.

Like the Launcher, it's a core piece of Unity. If you want a hide-able panel, you need to look at other interfaces for Ubuntu that do not use Unity.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Nope.

Like the Launcher, it's a core piece of Unity. If you want a hide-able panel, you need to look at other interfaces for Ubuntu that do not use Unity.
    Thanks for letting me know. I'll just live with the panel then. Too bad. But, such is life. I do appreciate the advice.
    I guess that's why I couldn't find a way (because there isn't a way, short of changing the GUI).

Most of the time, I try to live with the GUI (there are bigger fish to fry normally); but, Unity is one of the hardest to live with (although no harder than trying to live with Windows 8, for example).

It's interesting, that most of these GUI "improvements" are all attempts to help people who can't find their own files, find their files.
    But, what they end up doing is making it much harder for those who know where their files are, to just operate the desktop - simply because of the multiple levels of indirect.

Sigh.
    [ / editorial comment ]

I'll mark this resolved (in so much as there is no answer to be had).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast