Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nework Diagnosis-Script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Nework Diagnosis-Script

you are welcome. actually you made me realize I am missing few commands and logs to improve the script.

blog
    Donations BTC : 12FwoB7uAM5FnweykpR1AEEDVFaTLTYFkS
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

There is a much more complete version of the script at: j.mp/Netinfo

Could we team up on the scripts? Strength relies in Unity

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lkjoel View Post
    There is a much more complete version of the script at: j.mp/Netinfo

Could we team up on the scripts? Strength relies in Unity
    sure that would be great! It's been a while that I was wondering with so many wireless / network issues around how come there isn't a script yet to automate these commands?

I never noticed the your sign had the links to it, and I have seen you around a lot in the forum! I must be blind or something!

I checked your script and I like the fact that you check for the commands first and created user-friendly interface when loading.

What I'd like to do in my script like you did in your is to add the usb scan and extract from lspci,lshw,lsusb, the driver-names, firmware-names and the devices-names and use those variables (next to "net" "wlan" "eth" "radio") to filter the long log files present in dmesg and in /var/log/syslog. To make the research of the problem faster. Also filter with these variable the blacklisting of drivers and the list of modules in general.

What i did on mine is to extract the driver names from lspci for example and save those info in a temp log file, and then use those name to filter dmesg and lsmod. Unfortunately if your device is not listed in lspci that is useless, like it happened with the poster in this thread.

I know this is not a big deal in the end we can do ourself when we have the .txt file downloaded in the hdd. Sometimes filtering is good other times not, especially when you do not know what you are looking for (like for example a conflict with ndiswrapper). So here I am stuck to answer this question : to filter or not to filter the endless-logs? or maybe give an option in the script?

ps. I updated my script with no filters and more logs.

edit: i got an idea how about we highlight those names (or the lines containing them)with a bold font and a different color? this way we have the whole log and at the same time we know where to look for?
    Last edited by fdrake; September 1st, 2011 at 07:38 AM.

blog
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fdrake View Post
    sure that would be great! It's been a while that I was wondering with so many wireless / network issues around how come there isn't a script yet to automate these commands?

I never noticed the your sign had the links to it, and I have seen you around a lot in the forum! I must be blind or something!

I checked your script and I like the fact that you check for the commands first and created user-friendly interface when loading.

What I'd like to do in my script like you did in your is to add the usb scan and extract from lspci,lshw,lsusb, the driver-names, firmware-names and the devices-names and use those variables (next to "net" "wlan" "eth" "radio") to filter the long log files present in dmesg and in /var/log/syslog. To make the research of the problem faster. Also filter with these variable the blacklisting of drivers and the list of modules in general.

What i did on mine is to extract the driver names from lspci for example and save those info in a temp log file, and then use those name to filter dmesg and lsmod. Unfortunately if your device is not listed in lspci that is useless, like it happened with the poster in this thread.

I know this is not a big deal in the end we can do ourself when we have the .txt file downloaded in the hdd. Sometimes filtering is good other times not, especially when you do not know what you are looking for (like for example a conflict with ndiswrapper). So here I am stuck to answer this question : to filter or not to filter the endless-logs? or maybe give an option in the script?

ps. I updated my script with no filters and more logs.

edit: i got an idea how about we highlight those names (or the lines containing them)with a bold font and a different color? this way we have the whole log and at the same time we know where to look for?
    Should I add you as a developer of the Network Info script? That way you could help out easily.

Maybe we should add an upload option like the option in the Alsa-Info script? Then it could upload an HTML file, with the correct highlighting.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lkjoel View Post
    Should I add you as a developer of the Network Info script? That way you could help out easily.

Maybe we should add an upload option like the option in the Alsa-Info script? Then it could upload an HTML file, with the correct highlighting.
    I will be very happy to help out in the project! Probably an on-line view is the easiest thing to do in this case for everyone. Actually is even better than I thought since we can collect all the data very easly and fast for each driver/device in a database(preferably a mySQL) and relate those to the errors present in the log files or in the commands... just a thought, but there is time for that.

I will take a look at the alsa-info script right now. PM me or contact me anytime if you have any news/ideas or whatever thing that you want to do in the project.

blog
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans
    Distro

OK. Did you register for sourceforge.net?

I've just updated the script a bit, fixing a few bugs and adding all of the checks included in your script (and fixed a few bugs on your checks ).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123