Thread: google calendar app (other than Evolution)

Beans

google calendar app (other than Evolution)

I know I'm not the first one asking for apps with Google Calendar sync. But I've done a real lot of googling without finding anything that totally suits my needs...

What I want is a stand-alone calendar application with Google Calender sync. I don't need constant sync, a normal offline calendar which I can manually sync with the online Google Calendar would be fine (manually meaning that I have to press a button or run a script). I definitely don't want an app which constantly requires internet connection!

I know the calendar of Evolution mail (my preferred mail app) provides integration of Google Calendar, but that doesn't really work fine. At first it did, but once when Evolution wanted to sync when I had no internet, it kinda broke and spammed me with windows asking for the password of all integrated calendars, not accepting the real passwords but going on until I deleted the calendars. (This didn't only happen once, BTW, I gave it another chance at first...) Plus, once the connection between the Evolution and the Google calender was cut, I wasn't able to create new calendar entries (even after reconnection to the internet and restarting Evolution).
    Last edited by CryptKeeper777; October 31st, 2011 at 10:43 AM.
    setup: Arch Linux with Gnome 3 on MacBook 4 (dualboot)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: google calendar app (other than Evolution)

There's a Google calendar extension for Thunderbird that works quite well.
    Last edited by fragos; November 1st, 2011 at 08:35 AM.
    Thank a veteran -- George 8)
    Internet Coach & Writer
    Personal Blog -- 3 Joes' Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Try the solution in this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...07&postcount=2

After re-reading your post I don't know if this will help you or not.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fragos View Post
    There's a Google calendar extension for Thunderbird that work quite well.
    But I'm not using thunderbird, and I'd generally prefer a stand-alone calendar program.

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    Try the solution in this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...07&postcount=2

After re-reading your post I don't know if this will help you or not.
    I have no idea how this could help me. I'm not even using gnome shell!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Have you thought of using sunbird?

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/cale.../download.html

Beans

I've stumbled over the name when I tried to found a solution with google, but I haven tried it out yet, actually. But I'll change that and report whether it's what I'm looking for.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Another possibility is the Google Calendar Extension for Chrome. It supports both on and offline operation. To my knowledge there are no standalone calendar applications that sync with Google Calendar.
    Thank a veteran -- George 8)
    Internet Coach & Writer
    Personal Blog -- 3 Joes' Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fragos View Post
    To my knowledge there are no standalone calendar applications that sync with Google Calendar.
    Yes there is! Sunbird with GCALDaemon is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I have a local standalone calendar app that synces with the Google Calendar without the need to be constantly online because Sunbird synces not directly with Google Calendar (and therefore doesn't produce any errors when there's no internet, unlike the Evolution calendar), but GCALDaemon synces the *.ics file with the Google Calendar *.ics file it accesses online. The Sunbird calender is thus fully usable offline.

But GCALDaemon can also handle the Evolution calendar the same way (according to the website), so maybe I'll use the Evolution Calendar together with GCALDaemon instead of Sunbird because I use Evolution anyway as email client. We'll see.

But anyway, problem solved. Thanks for all the answers!